Behavior & Moderator Complaints

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby MikeB » Wed May 26, 2010 3:08 pm

AlanM wrote:
MikeB wrote:OK, I am not sure if this is the place for this but....The whole can't edit your posts after x amount of time is a bit irritating. I understand this was meant to prevent people from editing their for sale posts and jacking the price up but I really think OFCC needs to reevaluate the cost-benefit analysis on this. It does not seem to be an issue on any other board I frequent.

Just throwing this out there...


AFAIK - That's NOT the reason that the time limit was placed on editing posts.
That is, however, IMHO, a positive effect of the policy.


That was exactly the reason it was implemented. And of all the other message boards I frequent, this is the only one that has the policy in place.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25915

1. After a random period of time (we keep adjusting it and haven't made up our mind yet) you will no longer be able to edit an original listing or the subject line. This is aimed at preventing someone from changing the terms of an offer after the fact and to maintain the integrity for feedback history. To update your offer post a subsequent reply in your original thread. If its really important that the subject or the original post needs to be modified after the self-edit button disappears, contact a moderator.


And I don't see how it is a positive effect. To punish all for a few peoples unethical habits. That's what feedback is for.
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
User avatar
MikeB
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:37 am
Location: Dublin, OH

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby TunnelRat » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:02 pm

MikeB wrote:
AlanM wrote:
MikeB wrote:OK, I am not sure if this is the place for this but....The whole can't edit your posts after x amount of time is a bit irritating. I understand this was meant to prevent people from editing their for sale posts and jacking the price up but I really think OFCC needs to reevaluate the cost-benefit analysis on this. It does not seem to be an issue on any other board I frequent.

Just throwing this out there...


AFAIK - That's NOT the reason that the time limit was placed on editing posts.
That is, however, IMHO, a positive effect of the policy.


That was exactly the reason it was implemented. And of all the other message boards I frequent, this is the only one that has the policy in place.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25915

1. After a random period of time (we keep adjusting it and haven't made up our mind yet) you will no longer be able to edit an original listing or the subject line. This is aimed at preventing someone from changing the terms of an offer after the fact and to maintain the integrity for feedback history. To update your offer post a subsequent reply in your original thread. If its really important that the subject or the original post needs to be modified after the self-edit button disappears, contact a moderator.


And I don't see how it is a positive effect. To punish all for a few peoples unethical habits. That's what feedback is for.

You are mistaken. Please pay attention to the part that says: "and to maintain the integrity for feedback history. "

We had repeated instances of posters on the For Sale/Trades Forum who deleted their subject lines, message content, and even the details of their transactions. This messed up the feedback history and made a number of the transactions look legally questionable.

The practical result was that moderators had to spend much time PMing wayward posters and reconstructing vacant posts. The new machinery has significantly reduced our workload in that forum.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
User avatar
TunnelRat
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 9710
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:31 am
Location: Toledo

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby McM » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:09 pm

If I may offer a suggestion...

Make only the seller/buyer/OP be able to post in his B/S/T thread. If anybody has questions, they can PM the seller/WTBer, etc.

This might cut down on 'what caliber is that Garand/1911/Glock...?', as well as the OP will be able to post any changes to his thread without feeling the need to delete the posts above it. The OP can also post clarifications to the questions he receives via PM.

The PAFOA forum is set up this way, and is very cordial.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
User avatar
McM
 
Posts: 3705
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:22 pm
Location: Western Pennsylvania

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby hkuspclem40 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:30 pm

McM wrote:If I may offer a suggestion...

Make only the seller/buyer/OP be able to post in his B/S/T thread. If anybody has questions, they can PM the seller/WTBer, etc.

This might cut down on 'what caliber is that Garand/1911/Glock...?', as well as the OP will be able to post any changes to his thread without feeling the need to delete the posts above it. The OP can also post clarifications to the questions he receives via PM.

The PAFOA forum is set up this way, and is very cordial.


I agree with McM. :shock: :D This would also cut down on the off-topic posts and posts within a For Sale/Trade thread that do not support the sale of the item.
hkuspclem40
 
Posts: 733
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:53 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby Atilla » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:54 pm

I have noticed in JK forum or firearm politics forums, some threads are taken down with no 'locked' period or zero notification to the posters. I have also noticed several dupe posts get locked or disappear, not being linked or integrated into the original thread. I know moderating is a volunteer activity and I am sure its a PITA much of the time, but in the last few months it's happened so much I come to OFCC forums with a lot less interest and feel posts are censored to a certain degree. Out of line or really offensive posts, sure.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
User avatar
Atilla
 
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:18 am
Location: Euclid

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby jgarvas » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:27 am

Atilla wrote:I have noticed in JK forum or firearm politics forums, some threads are taken down with no 'locked' period or zero notification to the posters. I have also noticed several dupe posts get locked or disappear, not being linked or integrated into the original thread. I know moderating is a volunteer activity and I am sure its a PITA much of the time, but in the last few months it's happened so much I come to OFCC forums with a lot less interest and feel posts are censored to a certain degree. Out of line or really offensive posts, sure.


We've adopted a new policy (a few months ago) to curtail political discussions that were getting out of hand. We're not here to talk about "Why 9/11 Happened" or the pro/con debate over SB-5 (or its pending ballot initiative) - that isn't what the forums are here for, its not why we formed OFCC, and its not the kind of discussions we want random people who find us for one reason or another to associate us (as a whole) with.

Thats not what this forum is here for. If you're here for a discussion about firearms, firearms politics, firearms litigation/legislation, etc - then you've found a great place. If you want to sell a firearm to a like minded person you've found the right place. If you want to talk about "gun stuff" you more than likely won't be moderated.

Threads that present an image that OFCC does not want to be affiliated with get taken down. Typically, the original poster is contacted by the moderators, but we're not going to reach out to anyone who was in the thread. Often, if a moderator thinks something is wrong, they move it away and the team discusses it and makes a group decision. Sometimes a post is moved back after offending contributors are eliminated from the thread.

We think our moderation approach is both realistic, fairly communicated, and the reason that we are continually growing. We often receive substantial positive feedback that many people appreciate the way we curtail things that do not make a positive contribution to the image we're looking to present.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 3129
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Northern Summit County

Re: Behavior & Moderator Complaints

Postby charben » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:56 am

Just to be clear, I did PM corrsk when I moved that thread. I explained to him that while I could tell with his initial post that he wasn't trying to be political or start a conspiracy discussion, the replies soon took the thread there. He understood and had no problem with me moving it.

In fact, here is what I actually sent him:

This thread has been moved off line. A few months ago, as you might recall, we changed the TOS to reflect that political discussions that are not directly related to firearms, are not allowed.

While I see where you were TRYING to go with this, if you read any of the replies, the thread quickly has degenerated into a discussion of conspiracy theories.

THIS is not the forum for that...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
User avatar
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:38 pm
Location: Attica, OH

Previous

Return to Jeff Kirchner's Korner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests