Best Practices Thread

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Best Practices Thread

Post by charben »

OK. A good suggestion was made by flexmoney (credit where credit is due) that we have a best practices thread. This thread will be a clearing house for suggestions as to how to handle certain situations with regard to daily activities with carrying (either openly or concealed). Suggestions can be made as to how to handle CPZ's, inquisitive neighbors, un-gun-friendly friends, etc.

It is not a place to post suggestions on ammo, firearms, or equipment as we already have a place to do that.

To make it easy for everyone, I will periodically edit this thread so that suggestions end up in this first post and are categorized. This is so no one has to read through the WHOLE thread to see what they should do when told something stupid by someone who should know better! ;)

I'll start...

Category: CPZ's/Store Owners
Always make an effort to politely talk to a manager if an employee gives you grief. This conversation can lead to a good result...or it may not. But not having the conversation definitely accomplishes nothing. If you don't feel comfortable having that conversation at that time, at least get the name of the manager and be sure to follow-up with a letter. If that is still uncomfortable for you, contact a Coordinator here and one of us may be willing to help. We are interested in taking actions that can result in a more consistent application of our rights for everyone!
from jamie9mm...
I ask for the highest member on duty. When they come I simply say may I ask the reasoning behind your no guns sign. The majority of the time I'm told they don't know or it's corporate policy. I usually try to engage in a quick friendly conversation about the matter. I point out simply facts like I'm licensed to carry a firearm, I will no longer bring my business here nor will any one I know, Criminals don't read those sign's and if they do it makes there business more of a target, your sign keeps of duty LEO's from coming in here and the business has no liability issues with CHL'ers who act in self defense.
Category: Dealing with the "Guns Are Bad" statement

from ParaC7...
I ask them why they are afraid of guns?

Then i ask them if they drive a car? Or use a fork to eat their food, or write their name with a pen.

Answer is 99.9% of the time yes.

Then I explain that they handle weapons everyday, The car is a weapon if told to be a weapon, A fork is a weapon if told to be a weapon, and a pen is a weapon if its told to be a weapon. So what the difference between those and a gun? Nothing, the gun doesnt shoot unless its told to shoot. They are all inanimate objects unless the person holding it tells it to do something.
Category: Dealing with misinformed law enforcement regarding notifying

from djthomas...
The scene of the encounter is not the place to engage the officer in debate or point out his misunderstanding of the law. Politely state that your understanding from your training class is that the law only requires notification when actually armed and apologize for any misunderstanding. If the officer wants to make a case out of it rest assured that the law is on your side and you can pursue remedies for any injustices at a later time. Do, however, make a mental note of the officer's identity. After the encounter, send a letter to the head of the officer's agency reciting the situation with specifics as to place, date/time, reason for the stop, and the names of any officers. In a few short paragraphs outline your concerns in a factual, non-confrontational manner, citing the specific section of law ORC 2923.126. Request a response and include contact information. If you do not hear back from the agency within a reasonable amount of time, follow-up by telephone as necessary. If you're not comfortable contacting the agency yourself, consider sharing your story on the OFCC Forums where members will gladly lend their support.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
deanimator

Disarming for a CPZ

Post by deanimator »

If I know beforehand that I'm going to have to go to a CPZ, I disarm at my start point, in my case putting my firearm in the glovebox. That way, when I arrive at my destination, nobody sees me leave an unattended firearm. I lock the glovebox when I exit the vehicle.

When leaving the CPZ, I rearm, unless I have to immediately go to another CPZ.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
cledro711

Re: Disarming for a CPZ

Post by cledro711 »

deanimator wrote:If I know beforehand that I'm going to have to go to a CPZ, I disarm at my start point, in my case putting my firearm in the glovebox. That way, when I arrive at my destination, nobody sees me leave an unattended firearm. I lock the glovebox when I exit the vehicle.

When leaving the CPZ, I rearm, unless I have to immediately go to another CPZ.
I do the exact same thing. I go to a few restaurants in the area that serve liquor and before I leave if I know im going there I put my rig in the glovebox. I dont want someone pulling into the parking spot next to me to see me taking off my 4in 357 haha that would be alarming. :shock:
Wheel Gunner
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Best Practices Thread

Post by JU-87 »

When notifying Law Enforcement Officers (LEO'S) that you are carrying a loaded hand gun,
Say:"I'm legally armed" .
DON'T SAY: "I have a gun"

If pulled over while driving, hand LEO CCW permit on top of Ohio Drivers Licence when asked for drivers License. As usual, follow ALL verbal instructions.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
usmale

Post by usmale »

I always tell LEO's I have a CHL and I'm armed on my right hip, holstered
- OFCC member -
-NRA Life Member-
Hamilton County Sheriff's dept Academy class of 1982

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development... It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.-Jeff Cooper
markshere2

Post by markshere2 »

Category everyday traffic stop

Keep the cop's safety in your mind- he will appreciate it.
Acknowledge the lights with a turn signal, and slow down.

Pick a place to pull over where the cop won't have his butt hanging out in traffic.

Put it park ( if it's an auto)
Shut it down
Turn your flashers on
Window down enough so you can communicate
Interior lights on

Leave the seatbelt fastened and hands at 10 and 2.
DON'T open the glovebox or extract a wallet or anything else.

Your call from there on, as to how to handle the stop .
I am polite and say sir, but I stand firm on my 4th and 5th amendment rights.
I admit nothing and I answer as few questions as possible.
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

I am polite and say sir, but I stand firm on my 4th and 5th amendment rights.
I admit nothing and I answer as few questions as possible.
Those two lines will sink your boat for sure. Don't make it a competition. I'd replace them with your proper notification then let him (her) do all the talking.
grampajeep

Post by grampajeep »

Also don't forget to ALWAYS carry and use a DVR (digital voice recorder).

If I'm OCing I always have it on to record, but if I'm stopped for a traffic stop it's so easy to forget to turn it on. You know stress and all that. I have a post-it-note stuck to my CPL with the letters DVR written on it.

Gerry
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I'll work on this thread tonight. There have been some new posts and I really want to get all the suggestions into the first post for convenience sake...
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
marioloweryy

Post by marioloweryy »

That's a pretty good idea. It would be platform for solution to our day to day problems and also a way to deal with anything and anyone.
Mulegun

Post by Mulegun »

If I may ask.....how do go about telling the officer if the Firearm is in Glovebox or Console? Just that you are legally carring a fire arm in vehicle?