Need Advice For Holster

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mnemesyne

Need Advice For Holster

Post by Mnemesyne »

Ok, I have a hip holster for the .45, but it's mainly for when I'm at the range. What I need is advice on how to conceal my weapon on my person.

The two links I'm giving are to pictures of myself so you can see that I'm a rather small woman and trying to conceal my .45 is going to be rather interesting...

I've considered a hip sack or a purse, but not sure that I'd be able to get the weapon out fast enough should that need arise. The husband has suggested a vertical shoulder rig, but I very rarely wear a belt. Any advice you can give would be very helpful :-) Thank you in advance.

http://home.earthlink.net/~xhanjira/main.html or http://home.earthlink.net/~xhanjira/Lyn2000.jpg
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Need Advice For Holster

Post by NavyChief »

Mnemesyne wrote:...so you can see that I'm a rather small woman and trying to conceal my .45 is going to be rather interesting...
And a very attractive one, as well. I believe that with your build, you're probably going to have to look at some rather serious wardrobe modifications to make the .45 work. I've never been a big fan of "off-body" carry (i.e. fanny packs, purse, organizer, etc.) due to them being substantially less secure. There are a few good holster/leather companies out there that make concealment purses - accessability is not really a problem, since they usually have a separate pocket for the gun that is easy to get into. One even runs piano wire through the strap all the way to the bottom of the purse to prevent it from being "slash & run" cut off your shoulder. Yet, there's still the issue of what happens when you set it down, even for just a second. There are a very few holster makers out there (just exactly who escapes me at the moment) that are beginning to address the women's concealment market. I'll try to come up with some recommendations.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

A vertical shoulder rig can be a very nice mode of carry for a full-size .45 auto. You don't necessarily have to wear a belt to tie it down. Women tend to wear shoulder holsters more comfortably than most men -- probably because women are more used to, uh, straps and thingies on their shoulders. Some guys go nuts having to wear shoulder straps...

Frankly, if you rarely wear a belt, that would eliminate most of the holsters that I could recommend. Whether inside the waistband (IWB) or outside the waistband (OWB), crossdraw, strong side hip, or small of the back, most types of holsters need a solid, well made, 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" gun belt to support them. Heck, you can't even Mexican Carry without a belt!

Ankle rigs and thigh holsters are out of the question for a full-size service pistol. Off body carry in purses and other devices is not a recommended mode of carry (though it makes Ohio vehicle carry a bit easier...).

You may want to look into the astonishing variety of should holsters that are available. A horizontal carry shoulder holster might be difficult to conceal on your small frame, but there are many (many) other styles available to meet your needs.

Alternatively, you may want to consider a nice fanny pack. You might get a pretty pink one that says "Million Mom March" or something like that (though you might run afoul of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for hunting over bait....). :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Check this one out. http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/FIST70VERTSHOULDER
It has some of the features discussed. It works without needing to be fastened to a belt. Also has a unique downward draw feature, no need to pull the gun up out of the holster.
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Vertical Bag

Post by sabalo »

You might check out a vertical carry bag. I looks like a camera case. It can be worn on the belt or from the shoulder strap. It comes in several sized optional holsters. It should be able to conceal that .45. It also has pockets for other totable stuff.
Here's the pic and description :

http://www.overstockleathers.com/index. ... rodID=1200
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®