Need sights installed in Dayton...

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ZaijiaN

Need sights installed in Dayton...

Post by ZaijiaN »

I want to get some Truglo TFOs and put them on my XD 40 Sub - I understand they're easy enough to put on, but that in order to truly sight them in you need a competent gunsmith. So, is there anywhere in Dayton I should take them to?
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: Need sights installed in Dayton...

Post by Petrovich »

ZaijiaN wrote:I want to get some Truglo TFOs and put them on my XD 40 Sub - I understand they're easy enough to put on, but that in order to truly sight them in you need a competent gunsmith. So, is there anywhere in Dayton I should take them to?
The Springfield Armory does excellent custom work. I can say that firsthand.

I wouldn't even bother to look for a gunsmith. Without seeing their work, or exploring references you don't know if they can bore sight a scope, much less anything else.

As for installing them yourself it isn't be much of a chore because the dovetails are already cut. Remember that many dovetail cuts are one way. What I mean by that is the old sight will come out in one direction and the new sight will go in from the opposite side of the slide in the same direction. Make sure you use a BRASS punch.

Find the absolute center of the slide and make sure both sight bases are exactly centered at that point. That will probably get you as close as you need to be on windage.

To get the proper elevation us a temporary front sight to adjust elevation. Brownell's sells them. They are made of soft metal or plastic and they have little scores where you break/cut them off at varying heights. Use this site to adjust your elevation and find the best front sight height, then buy a permanent sight of that height.
collin

Post by collin »

Visit http://www.hs2000talk.com and ask them. Those guys know their XDs, and I used their advise to install new sights on 3 XDs of my own. Sights that fit a Sig will fit an XD, but are difficult to remove. HS2000 was original name of the XD.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

collin wrote:Visit http://www.hs2000talk.com and ask them. Those guys know their XDs, and I used their advise to install new sights on 3 XDs of my own. Sights that fit a Sig will fit an XD, but are difficult to remove. HS2000 was original name of the XD.
Good forum.

Apparently the dovetails on the XD's are symmetrical, meaning they will drift either direction.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I second the notion on one of my home away from homes (hs200talk.com).

Petro, I never figgered you for an XD fan.

Good Luck,

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: ...

Post by Petrovich »

OldManTod wrote:I second the notion on one of my home away from homes (hs200talk.com).

Petro, I never figgered you for an XD fan.

Good Luck,

T
Are you kidding??? I've sung their praises several times on this chat!

They're just a bit blocky for CC; but they are excellent pistols in nearly every respect.

I like to compare them to glock products, of which they are an excellent competitor. I favor the XD's over the glocks for three main reasons. Safety features, a chamber that fully supports the case and purchase price which averages about a hundred dollars cheaper than a glock.