OFCC Joins SCCC Lawsuit Against The Ohio State University

9MM VS. PITBULL

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby dan dan the XD40 man » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:33 pm

A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.
Poop!
User avatar
dan dan the XD40 man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cleveland Ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby charles1198 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:40 pm

I talked to an old cop once who had to shoot a dog on a raid. He did, several times, as did another officer. It finally took two 12 gauge shots to stop his attack -- the 5 shots of .40 and .45 (all which connected solidly) barely slowed him down. It wasn't a pit, either. It was a Rott mix, IIRC.
Ohio Medical Reserve Corps -- volunteer today!

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- President George Washington
User avatar
charles1198
 
Posts: 3873
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:35 pm
Location: SE Ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Switch to .45 and stay alive! :P
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.


http://www.salemhuntingclub.com
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx
User avatar
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 11183
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby calvin56 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

A strange thing I've noticed with coyotes, with .45 acp they try to run after a good hit. Even with a tennis ball (ok, a little smaller) exit wound they try to run. One hit with a .223 and they just drop. 230 grains vs 62. Of course the .223 is over 3 times faster.
User avatar
calvin56
 
Posts: 1138
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:10 pm
Location: Columbiana County

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby dan dan the XD40 man » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Jake wrote:Switch to .45 and stay alive! :P


G30 & G36 FTW

:mrgreen:
Poop!
User avatar
dan dan the XD40 man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cleveland Ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby jamie9mm » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:53 pm

dan dan the XD40 man wrote:A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.


Read the thread best .38 snubbie sd ammo. According to more then one person there is no such thing as stopping power. So 9mm .40 .45 just doesn't matter I guess. I wish there was a true study about dog bite to help clear the pit bull rap.
When Barrack Obama is directly related to the murder of a cop, it's Executive Privilege.

Vote 2012!
User avatar
jamie9mm
 
Posts: 1789
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:54 pm
Location: galloway. oh

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby curmudgeon3 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:24 pm

My carry gun has 8 .45acp HPs in it and a spare with 7-8 FMJs; maybe there'll be time to switch in that kind of encounter.
User avatar
curmudgeon3
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 5334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: n.e. ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby dan dan the XD40 man » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:06 pm

jamie9mm wrote:
dan dan the XD40 man wrote:A CMHA policeman had to shoot an attacking pitbull this morning at one of the buildings I maintain. He fired 7 rounds of HP ammo, and connected 4 times. I arrived about 10 minutes after the shooting and the dog was out of the fight, but still alive and breathing, albeit with some difficulty. I'm a total "girl" when it comes to animals, and dogs in particular, so I didnt hang around. Just something to think about. I carry a 9mm most of the time myself.


Read the thread best .38 snubbie sd ammo. According to more then one person there is no such thing as stopping power. So 9mm .40 .45 just doesn't matter I guess. I wish there was a true study about dog bite to help clear the pit bull rap.


I've read that youre more likely to get bit by a Chihuahua than a pitbull. The major difference, at least in my book, is that I can usually walk away from even the most determined Chihuahua attack. So I'd gladly take 250 Chihuahua attacks over 1 bully breed attack...French Bulldog notwithstanding.
Poop!
User avatar
dan dan the XD40 man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:49 am
Location: Cleveland Ohio

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby BobK » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:12 pm

calvin56 wrote:A strange thing I've noticed with coyotes, with .45 acp they try to run after a good hit. Even with a tennis ball (ok, a little smaller) exit wound they try to run. One hit with a .223 and they just drop. 230 grains vs 62. Of course the .223 is over 3 times faster.


Well, as you pointed out, being faster makes all the difference. Just pulling a couple quick numbers off the Hornady website:

9MM Luger, 115 gr. JHP/XTP: 341 ft-lb (muzzle), 280 ft-lb (50 yds)
45 ACP+P 200 GR HP/XTP: 494 ft-lb (muzzle), 421 ft-lb (50 yds) (45% more energy than 9mm)

223 REM 53 GR HP W/C: 1305 ft-lb (muzzle), 971 ft-lb (100 yds) (283% more energy than 9mm)

Now, energy isn't the end-all and be-all in stopping power, but superior energy is usually a good thing!
NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Assoc Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition member, OFCC Patron Member, JFPO member.

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Prepare for civil breakdown.
User avatar
BobK
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 14367
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:26 pm
Location: Houston TX (formerly Franklin County)

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby Morne » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:17 pm

Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles.

The wounding mechanism between the two is substantially different.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
User avatar
Morne
OFCC Director
OFCC Director
 
Posts: 9656
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 pm
Location: Wayne County

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby Jake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 pm

FWIW...drifting away.....

I read the other day that a 308 has more energy @ 400yds. than a .223 does at the muzzle. 8)
The article then went on to recommend a .308 over the .223 for HD. :lol:
I think not, unless I live in a very remote location.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.


http://www.salemhuntingclub.com
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx
User avatar
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
 
Posts: 11183
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:04 am
Location: N.E. Ohio

Postby Scavok » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:33 pm

What, no mention of SHOT PLACEMENT?
My sig line violated TOS so now it is gone...
User avatar
Scavok
 
Posts: 5971
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:37 pm
Location: Area 51

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby sodbuster95 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 pm

Jake wrote:FWIW...drifting away.....

I read the other day that a 308 has more energy @ 400yds. than a .223 does at the muzzle. 8)
The article then went on to recommend a .308 over the .223 for HD. :lol:
I think not, unless I live in a very remote location.


Continuing with Bob's Hornady reference:

308 Win 150 gr GMX - 2648 ft/lb (muzzle), 2243 ft/lb (100 yd), 1311 ft/lb (400 yd)

or -

.308 Win., 110 gr. TAP - 2446 ft/lb (muzzle), 1956 ft/lb (100 yd), 935 ft/lb (400 yd)

But I don't think I'll be using that for HD anytime soon.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
User avatar
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 6018
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:14 pm
Location: Maumee

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby Imcrazy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:38 pm

pistols are only to be used when you can't get to your rifle lol.
Aaron is my name ^^these are the things I say^^

Self-defense is an inherent human right. It is given to you by God, not the government

"The pistol — learn it well and wear it always." - Jeff Cooper

"The muzzle end of a 45 pretty much says 'go away' in every language" -Clint Smith

Proud NRA Member: STAND AND FIGHT!!

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/ << Contact your reps every week!
User avatar
Imcrazy
 
Posts: 3460
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: Lorain County

Re: 9MM VS. PITBULL

Postby jdmsds » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:53 pm

I'm still comfortable carrying a 9mm. :wink:
jdmsds
 
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Grafton

Next

Return to Jeff Kirchner's Korner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest