Great Picinic!

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Scott

Great Picinic!

Post by Scott »

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who made my first ever Party in the Park a very enjoyable experience for me and my family. Thanks to the OFCC staff and volunteers, thanks to the politicos who came to meet and address us, thanks to all those people and entities who donated prizes (Black Wing donated a fanny pack that I won, and Springfield donated a ball cap and range towel that I won as well! Thank you!) Thanks to Hoggy's and thanks to the Sheriff's Deputies who came to enjoy some BBQ with us and "protect" whomever from whatever! :lol: I sure hope I didn't miss anyone.

I wish I could have stayed a bit longer and gotten to meet a few more folks and visited with a few old friends, but family duty was calling and I had to take off.

We'll have to visit in cyberspace or wait till next year.

Take care,
Blip!
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

What County were we in today? I would like to send the Sheriff a comment on his use of public funds to protect/watch us.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Cruiser wrote:What County were we in today? I would like to send the Sheriff a comment on his use of public funds to protect/watch us.
My map shows Delaware County. Scuttlebutt I heard today there was that the Deputies were in place in case of protesters.

I'm under the impression that the Sheriff's office there has been pretty CCW friendly, though this information may have absolutely no bearing on the present discussion.
Blip!
Linda

Post by Linda »

We were in Delaware Cty.
Apparently, I'm not the only one who was put off by the presence of the LEO's at todays picnic. I would like to know who it was that requested the deputies presence? Was it OFCC, then that would be OK. Was it Petro, well they shouldn't have stood so far away. Was it the parks district, if so, maybe next year we should try another park. Was it the Sheriff's dept, maybe they are afraid that a criminal slipped through the background check and was posing as a law abiding citizen. If one of the OFCC administrators could let us know, that would be wonderful!!!

Otherwise, it was a great picnic. Interesting speakers and always nice to meet new faces!
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
williampelish
*** Banned ***

Post by williampelish »

I ws too busy for the picnic today. I had another little girl Arwen Courtney Ellis-Pelish 7lbs 1 Oz
19 5/8 inches

born 1257pm

Will
gkopp

Deputies

Post by gkopp »

Hold on folks.

The deputies were asked to be there by OFCC, I am told. There may have been hints of protesters.

Greg
Greg Kopp
OFCC Web Store Manager
https://www.ohioccw.org/catalog
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

The deputies were there by OFCC request. The were not there to "keep and eye on us". Toby Hoover posted our picnic info on her website. There was some concern that some anti's might show up and cause a scene. The deputies were there to stop that. I personally, thanked them for being there.

Will,

Awesome news! Congratualtions!
Last edited by Brian_Horton on Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

williampelish wrote:I ws too busy for the picnic today. I had another little girl Arwen Courtney Ellis-Pelish 7lbs 1 Oz
19 5/8 inches

born 1257pm

Will
Congrats Will :D

I will try to make it next year, assuming it happens. Sounds like it went over very well.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
Brian_Horton

Post by Brian_Horton »

FYI,

For those of you that could not attend today, we recorded all of the speeches from the various candidates on my laptop. We will edit out the dead spots and split up the speakers and then post the audio on the website or the forum in a few days.
When the goin' gets tough, the tough go cyclic.

Happiness is a crew served weapon.
rhwiley

Post by rhwiley »

Brian_Horton wrote:FYI,

For those of you that could not attend today, we recorded all of the speeches from the various candidates on my laptop. We will edit out the dead spots and split up the speakers and then post the audio on the website or the forum in a few days.
Brian,

Thanks for keeping those of us who couldn't attend in mind. I really wanted to go, but I had other obligations. I'm really interested in what they had to say. A few pictures would be good too - if you brought a digital camera :D. Thanks again!

Bob Wiley
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

rhwiley wrote:

Brian,

Thanks for keeping those of us who couldn't attend in mind. I really wanted to go, but I had other obligations. I'm really interested in what they had to say. A few pictures would be good too - if you brought a digital camera :D. Thanks again!

Bob Wiley
I second that. Thanks and pics would indeed be cool to see.
Life is precious, Got Sig?
Sig P250 Compact .40s&w
JJones

Post by JJones »

rhwiley wrote:

Brian,

Bob Wiley
What do you think we are, a bunch of computer geeks???

Oh wait... never mind.

Jacques.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Brian_Horton wrote:The deputies were there by OFCC request. The were not there to "keep and eye on us". Toby Hoover posted our picnic info on her website. There was some concern that some anti's might show up and cause a scene. The deputies were there to stop that. I personally, thanked them for being there.
I can confirm that OFCC hired the Delaware County Sheriff's Office to supply two deputies to our public event today to be available quickly and solely upon our request.

Their job was to stand in the shade and be available. Many of you may have noticed that they were also invited to eat after everyone had a chance to go through the line. (If they were there to intimidate the group, we probably would have made the same offer, but they would have likely declined under those circumstances)

The two deputies who showed up told me personally that they did not even know what they were doing today until they arrived at the park and met Bryan Torok. (OFCC's VP and a Cleveland PD Sgt). We were a little surprised at this part ;-)

One of the reasons they were on-site is because, although OFCC had a minimum of two police officers in the crowd include Bryan Torok, neither of them was going to get involved in any incidents while off duty and outside of their jurisdiction.

Imagine the press coverage if we chose to eject someone being unruly and it was done by armed participants with cameras rolling.

We do not need that kind of liability or negative publicity. We also wanted to make sure that, if any television stations filmed the entire speech period, we could resolve unruly situations immediately without having to dial 911, wait for them to arrive for a low priority call, and then establish our "ownership" of the leased property.

We will never know if someone entered the property with intentions to create a disruption and left upon seeing the two deputies, but the fact remains it was more likely this year than last.

I apologize if any of you got the wrong idea from their presence, and I fully understand your gut reaction that they may have been there to intimidate or "watch" us. That is simply not the case and everything was on the "up and up".

Sincerely,

-Jeff Garvas
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

rhwiley wrote:

Brian,

Bob Wiley
Numerous photos were taken and will be put online soon. We're hoping to setup a small gallery so that everyone can share their photos in one location.

In addition to the audio, we also recorded the entire speech on a digital video camera. I have not reviewed it, but we may be able to encode that as well. Give us some time, its all in unedited format right now and was recored in "FM" quality. It sounds very very good.

-Jeff Garvas
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
the right wing zealot

Post by the right wing zealot »

Thanks for recording the event. I too could not attend, although it was because of work duties. Man, I hate it when work gets in the way of fun!

Hopefully I can be there next year.
'Gun control' is being able to put two bullets through the same hole.