12-year old killed by BB gun

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Daniel
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

12-year old killed by BB gun

Post by Daniel »

A 12 year old Cincinnati boy was accidentally shot in the eye by a bb gun and died from the injury.

I can't help but wonder if this could have been prevented if firearm safety was taught in schools like they're now doing in Arizona. While less powerful, BB guns can be as dangerous as any other firearm and the rules of safe gun handling must be followed.

Tragic story.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4762592/detail.html
Daniel White
NRA Training Counselor
Northcoast Firearms Training

We must carry arms because we value our lives and those of our loved ones, because we will not be dealt with by force or threat of force, and do not live at the pleasure and discretion of the lawless. - Jeff Snyder
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Re: 12-year old killed by BB gun

Post by Petrovich »

Cable wrote:A 12 year old Cincinnati boy was accidentally shot in the eye by a bb gun and died from the injury.

I can't help but wonder if this could have been prevented if firearm safety was taught in schools like they're now doing in Arizona. While less powerful, BB guns can be as dangerous as any other firearm and the rules of safe gun handling must be followed.

Tragic story.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4762592/detail.html
I once had a gentleman as a patient who was shooting a .177 air rifle with his stepson. The stepson accidently shot him in the head with it. Docs decided not to remove it as the surgery risk was worse than the risk of leaving it in there. Point is, those things can penetrate cranial bone where it isn't real thick. Now I realize, on some people it's real thick all over, but on most of us there are places where it's not quite so reinforced. This fellow was shot in the parietal (temple) area.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Rule No. 1 when shooting with or around children,

The boy, his brother and a friend had gone into the woods near the boy's home to shoot a BB gun when the accident occurred Tuesday, Gary's mother, Tonya Carmony said. She said the friend held the gun to shoot, but her son grabbed the gun to fire it and it went off. The gun fired a BB into Gary's right eye and into his brain.

NEVER, EVER, allow them to shoot unsupervised!
Rick J.
uperrsc

Post by uperrsc »

This story for me goes into the "if you live long enough you will see everything" file. I mean, moms have been telling their boys that if they get a bb gun they will shoot their eye out, but even they did not add on "and it will probably kill you too".

Unbelievable!
Scott Perrine
NRA Election Volunteer Coordinator
NRA Recruiter
OH 16th Congressional District
scottrperrine@gmail.com
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

uperrsc wrote:This story for me goes into the "if you live long enough you will see everything" file. I mean, moms have been telling their boys that if they get a bb gun they will shoot their eye out, but even they did not add on "and it will probably kill you too".

Unbelievable!
Yeah, good palaver.

Treat any deadly weapon as if it would kill you....or someone else.

Great idea....now let's get hollywierd to go along. :wink:
ampleworks

Post by ampleworks »

I suspect lack of eye protection was also an issue here.