What States do you have a License in?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Filo

Post by Filo »

MA was surprising not that bad considering it's Massachusetts. It's a temporary non-resident permit good for 1 year. Cost $100 though...

Due to Massachusetts' "common sense" gun laws, you need a permit to even own/posses a firearm in the state, but it's issued for all lawful purposes so it's legal to carry. Carry pretty much anywhere too, with the exception of federal buildings and schools.

Edit:

Oh yeah, that's the funny thing about it. Since I applied for the non-resident permit, the state police are the approving authority. If i was a resident, it would be my local chief of police. The state police have more uniform criteria then the hundreds of police chiefs out there. It turns out the farther from Boston you are, the more likely you'll get an ALP permit - imagine that.
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

Have any of you guys (for instance with the FL permit) found a good resource to get info on how to carry in other states?? I have been digging, but can't figure out stuff like:

If in Texas on a Florida permit, which set of rules do I follow as far as like car carry, etc.???

Any help would be appreciated..

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
marinecorpsmike

Post by marinecorpsmike »

Ohio and New Hampshire for now.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: ..

Post by TunnelRat »

OldManTod wrote:Have any of you guys (for instance with the FL permit) found a good resource to get info on how to carry in other states??

Packing.org is usually a big help for that sort of thing.
OMT wrote: I have been digging, but can't figure out stuff like:

If in Texas on a Florida permit, which set of rules do I follow as far as like car carry, etc.???
Don't be confused about Conflict of Laws questions. That sort of thing is for appellate court judges to figure out. The rules are fairly simple: you are subject to the laws of the state you are in.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Well, as Tom said, packing.org is an excellent starting point. They usually break it down in "plain English." Just as importantly, they provide links to the states' own sites that give you "the straight gouge."
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Ohio and New Hampshire.

Looking at Utah.

Buckshot
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

yeah, I tried packing.org and they didn't have anything that I could come up with (that was actually the first place I checked)..

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

OldManTod wrote:yeah, I tried packing.org and they didn't have anything that I could come up with (that was actually the first place I checked)..

T
Try going to the license tool.

As of yesterday, I have Ohio, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania.
Curt M
mbott

Post by mbott »

I have Ohio and New Hampshire at the moment. Thinking about adding Utah, but that's not a priority at the moment.

--
Mike
The fight will not be the way you want it to be. The fight will be the way it is. You must be flexible enough to adapt. -- Unknown
NRA Benefactor Life & Golden Eagle Member
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle and Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
Law Enforcement Sales, Retired
Louis
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Louis »

Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, Utah. My wife has an aunt in a nursing home in NH.