Dillon Sportsman's club

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Dillon Sportsman's club

Post by Petrovich »

I don't know how many forum members are in the Zanesville area. I realize this forum touches members all over the state.

Anyone who is familiar with the Dillon Sportsman's club knows that we suffered a devastating flood this past winter. Most equipment was damaged or ruined, including the traps.

The state was considering shutting the facility down for good and bulldozing the buildings.

Good news!! The Land of Legend Pistol Club has landed a contract to operate the faciilty.

Bad news....it's gonna be a big job.

I'm taking this opportunity to toot our horn.

The facility is quite nice. We offer a 25 yd pistol range and a 100 yard rifle range. Both are sheltered and equipped with benches. The facility also offers trap and skeet, but not this year as the traps are being repaired.

This facility has, historically, been underutilized.

Our club consists of some real decent guys and even a few good shots. We have pin shoots, rifle shoots, IDPA shoots and some other stuff. :D It's all on a relatively small scale, but hey, it's informal and fun.

Anyone in the area interested in using Dillon please be assured the facility IS NOT CLOSING. yeah!! It'll be run by club members now I presume.
mscott

Post by mscott »

How about a schedule, map, directions, or whatever. I live in Howard, so you're not that far away.
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

mscott wrote:How about a schedule, map, directions, or whatever. I live in Howard, so you're not that far away.
Happy to!!! Give me a minute.

Visitors are always welcome.

As for a schedule, the range isn't officially open to the public YET. The club has been using it for matches, though.

Prior to the flood, the hours of operation were weds noon (I think) till ten at night. Weekends were 10-5.

If there was a greater interest I have little doubt the range would be open more. Also...with the club taking over, there MIGHT be more people to serve as volunteer staff which might also mean more public access hours. Frankly, I don't know as this is all up in the air.

It really is a nice facility and I am glad it was 'rescued'.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

5200 Pleasant Valley Rd, Zanesville, OH 43701

Do a mapquest search from your area.

http://www.mapquest.com/
mscott

Post by mscott »

I would be mostly interested in the pistol matches and skeet and trap shooting. Presently I drive to Briar Rabbitt in Zanesville a couple a times a month. There are quite a few in the Mt. Vernon area that would probably be interested in shoots in the area. I had heard of your range, but never seen any schedules or contact info. Keep us informed on here as well as any other clubs in central Ohio. Maybe we could get a range forum started on here?
You can't shoot a big enough gun to miss 'em dead.

NRA Life Member
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

mscott wrote:I would be mostly interested in the pistol matches and skeet and trap shooting. Presently I drive to Briar Rabbitt in Zanesville a couple a times a month. There are quite a few in the Mt. Vernon area that would probably be interested in shoots in the area. I had heard of your range, but never seen any schedules or contact info. Keep us informed on here as well as any other clubs in central Ohio. Maybe we could get a range forum started on here?
The Dillon center was built back in the seventies. It was originally run by the state, much like wildwood is now.

I don't know the history in detail, but I do know that is suffered from mismanagement for a long time.

The most recent manager was an outstanding fellow, however, and did an excellent job. He also had a 'real' job he had to hold down so he made quite a personal committment to Dillon.

God bless Bob and Kathy. True believers in the second amendment and what is stands for.

Unfortunately, Bob passed away last fall.

Then there was the flood that winter and a lot of changes have occured.

Things seem to be on track. The pistol club has the contract to run the facility and there is enough talent in that bunch to do an outstanding job.

I look for the Dillon sportsman's center to make great progress forward.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Dillion is a wonderful place to visit and shoot. Camping at state park if you are from out of town. Dennis and his wife used to run the place. I believe Dennis passed away about 2 years ago. Hope is wife is doing okay. Glad to see that Land of Legend is going to run the place. Good luck with it.

Larry
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

I'm glad to hear someone ended up taking it over. It's the closest range to my house, and it's always a nice place to do some shooting. Please let us know when it's open to the public again, it really is a great range.

I was out there once in the spring.It still looked really bad from the flood. There were no cars, and everything was locked up, but there were some people shooting down there. It looked a little too suspicious, so I left. :)

I'm sorry to hear about Bob. was he the one running it last year? I had some good conversations with him about 1911s.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

charles1198 wrote:I'm glad to hear someone ended up taking it over. It's the closest range to my house, and it's always a nice place to do some shooting. Please let us know when it's open to the public again, it really is a great range.

I was out there once in the spring.It still looked really bad from the flood. There were no cars, and everything was locked up, but there were some people shooting down there. It looked a little too suspicious, so I left. :)

I'm sorry to hear about Bob. was he the one running it last year? I had some good conversations with him about 1911s.
Yep, the Land of Legend Pistol Club is taking over operations. I don't know when they'll be ready to open to the public, though. The shooting you heard was probably club members. They still have shoots at the range. Membership is open to anyone with a desire to have fun with the shooting sports.

Yes, Bob and Kathy did a good job. Bob died unexpectedly and Kathy was unable to continue, apparently.