Ordering from Bud's?

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

deanimator

Re: Ordering from Bud's?

Post by deanimator »

Sevens wrote:Fin Feather Fur, for example, is 100% absolutely the finest place in all of Ohio to buy smokeless powder. No brick & mortar store is on their level, but a shout-out to Sportman's Den in Shelby, who is undoubtedly #2 in Ohio.
I like Fin. I bought my last gun there.

But I tried to buy a gun from them Saturday and literally COULDN'T.

I'm not in the habit of spending hundreds of dollars for things I DON'T want.

If they don't stock what I want, and can't order it, I'm not going to settle.

I can and did go someplace else. I'd be a fool to do anything else.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Sevens wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:Exactly - and their unreasonably high FFL transfer fee is simply their way of punishing you / extracting the profit from you for not buying it from them.
Hold up just a second... <snip>
You just described (in far more words) what I summarized regarding their FFL transfer pricing - they would rather sell you a gun than transfer one to you, so they (over)charge you enough to provide similar profit. Notice that was all my comment was directed at - nothing about their firearms pricing or availability, reloading component pricing and availability, etc - nothing except their FFL transfer pricing.

Regardless, I think we just have a different viewpoint, so I'll leave it at that.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

deanimator wrote:
Sevens wrote:Fin Feather Fur, for example, is 100% absolutely the finest place in all of Ohio to buy smokeless powder. No brick & mortar store is on their level, but a shout-out to Sportman's Den in Shelby, who is undoubtedly #2 in Ohio.
I like Fin. I bought my last gun there.

But I tried to buy a gun from them Saturday and literally COULDN'T.

I'm not in the habit of spending hundreds of dollars for things I DON'T want.

If they don't stock what I want, and can't order it, I'm not going to settle.

I can and did go someplace else. I'd be a fool to do anything else.
Umm, I take ZERO issue with this, you are doing specifically what you should do. This is the part where I would likely say that I also order guns and ship them to my FFL rather than buy them from big gun stores but the truth is that I have almost no use whatsoever for 98% of what all the manufacturers make in firearms today so my routine is irrelevent. I have a white-hot interest in guns that aren't made anymore, so I shop used.

The entirety of my activity in this discussion is to point out that places like FFF and Vance's set a relatively high transfer rate because they don't care to do it, it certainly does take away from their own potential sales but I think it's misplaced frustration to use terms like "punishing you" and "extracting the profit", because I don't agree that's their angle.

Also FWIW, the last time I heard a quoted rate from Vance's for inbound FFL transfer... it was $75, which makes FFF look like a bargain. Now I have no idea what Vance's charges these days for that, but I have zero interest an using Vance's for inbound FFL transfer. I have a dealer that I trust who also happens to be a damn funny SOB, so the communication with him is much more enjoyable than this thread has been. :lol:
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Sevens wrote:This is the part where I would likely say that I also order guns and ship them to my FFL rather than buy them from big gun stores but the truth is that I have almost no use whatsoever for 98% of what all the manufacturers make in firearms today so my routine is irrelevent. I have a white-hot interest in guns that aren't made anymore, so I shop used.
I've got a safe full of S&W revolvers. I wouldn't even have any revolver they make today in my home.

That means that if I want an S&W revolver, I'm either buying at a gun show or online.
JimE
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by JimE »

One of the reasons the cost is higher at some places, is simply the amount of time (and people) involved by the store to process a transfer.
Commit an error anywhere in the process, and ATF can nail you to a cross if they are in a bad mood during an audit.

First, someone has to offload everything, then sort and open the incoming orders.
Now, compare the packing slip against what is in front of you, and start the receiving process in the computer, complete with FFL info, etc.. Oh, and make sure the senders FFL is not expired.
Scan (or type) everything into the order; if you never had that item before, then you have to build the description, barcodes and pricing into the system.
Now we can enter the serial number for each, print the id tickets, verify (again) the sn is correct, receive and close the order.
If the sender did his job, you have contact info for the customer along with a receipt, which you have to make copies of for your records.
Anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes per order.
And if I am in the middle of a 400 gun order, you are going to wait. ( I try to save the large orders for last though)
Just because I signed for a UPS/FedEx/USPS package does not mean it is ready for pickup.
Once that is done, someone has to contact the customer....if we have a phone number. Lots of fun when there is no tele #.
When the customer shows up, 4473 circus starts, so there is another 15 min. if you have a CHL.....
The checkout process only takes about 10min, so that is not too bad, but we ain't done yet.
At the end of the day, someone collects all the 4473's and sales slips and has to verify ALL the information. That means comparing the address shown on the 4473 against the receipt, serial number matches all the way through, and mundane things like having the correct mfg & importer info is on the 4473.
Once all that is done, you assign a # to the 4473 (so you can find it for trace requests), and file it.
Now we get to store that piece of paper for the next 20 years, and have to find upon request by ATF.
Oh, and fill out "Multiple Handgun" forms when needed.
We have not covered what happens if the customer does not like what he got, if there was any "straw purchase" attempts or what happens if there is a NICS denial, even if it is a false denial, or a delay.
Fun eh ?
The more volume, the more potential for mistakes, so you have to check, check, and check again. And you will still make a mistake.

It is not that everyone does not want to handle transfers. 99% of them we see are "no problem".
(I have however seen folks order something , that we had in stock, and cost themselves more than if they walked in and bought it.)
There are a lot of unique (new & old) firearms out there, and no 1 dealer is going to have them all, or can afford to have them laying around in inventory.
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Aesinsp wrote:If you've not pulled the trigger @ Bud's yet, give Davidson's Gun Genie a try.. I'm rather surprised at at the number of local dealers that can sell thru them in my area.
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/powersearchnew.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 on Gun Genie. Great customer service, I have purchased several firearms through them with zero problems. One pays a deposit via CC to Gun Genie, then the remainder at the gun store when your gun arrives - it is shipped 2nd day so doesn't take long.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

techmike wrote:
Aesinsp wrote:If you've not pulled the trigger @ Bud's yet, give Davidson's Gun Genie a try.. I'm rather surprised at at the number of local dealers that can sell thru them in my area.
https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/powersearchnew.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
+1 on Gun Genie. Great customer service, I have purchased several firearms through them with zero problems. One pays a deposit via CC to Gun Genie, then the remainder at the gun store when your gun arrives - it is shipped 2nd day so doesn't take long.
I may give them a try next time.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I got notified today that delivery had been attempted and failed at Ares today. They will retry on Monday.

Not sure what's going on.

My ammunition and snap caps, from Midway and Amazon respectively, got delivered.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I got another notification around 7:30 that it had been delivered.

My guess is that I'll get it Monday.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

deanimator wrote:I got another notification around 7:30 that it had been delivered.

deanimator wrote:I got notified today that delivery had been attempted and failed at Ares today. They will retry on Monday.

My ammunition and snap caps, from Midway and Amazon respectively, got delivered.
Sounds to me like the delivery handler (FedEx-UPS) may have entered incorrectly in their que & noticed it after the fact.
Hopefully all is well & staying warm in there shop, can you pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting till Mon?
BOB
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

ESAFO wrote:
deanimator wrote:I got another notification around 7:30 that it had been delivered.

deanimator wrote:I got notified today that delivery had been attempted and failed at Ares today. They will retry on Monday.

Sounds to me like the delivery handler (FedEx-UPS) may have entered incorrectly in their que & noticed it after the fact.
Hopefully all is well & staying warm in there shop, can you pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting till Mon?
FedEx does some strange things. I once received a notice that they couldn't make a delivery to my house because the business at that address was closed. Seems they had shipped it to the wrong city. After all, Cincinnati and Lebanon look quite similar on the address listing.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

ESAFO wrote:[Hopefully all is well & staying warm in there shop, can you pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting till Mon?
I don't know. I've never bought from Bud's before. I imagine somebody's supposed to notify me when it's ready for pickup.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

deanimator wrote:
ESAFO wrote:[Hopefully all is well & staying warm in there shop, can you pick it up tomorrow instead of waiting till Mon?
I don't know. I've never bought from Bud's before. I imagine somebody's supposed to notify me when it's ready for pickup.
Whenever I purchased a gun over the net, the FFL called me when he was ready for me to come pick it up.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

I just noticed in their confirmation email that it says to contact the dealer before ordering, but I could swear that on Bud's website it said that you don't need to contact the dealer.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

schmieg wrote:Whenever I purchased a gun over the net, the FFL called me when he was ready for me to come pick it up.
deanimator wrote:I don't know. I've never bought from Bud's before. I imagine somebody's supposed to notify me when it's ready for pickup.
deanimator wrote:I just noticed in their confirmation email that it says to contact the dealer before ordering, but I could swear that on Bud's website it said that you don't need to contact the dealer.
Everytime i order online i always send a text to my FFL giving him a heads up that there is a gun on it's way, i just do that as a piece of mind & to just stay in contact.
I have purchased from Bud's before so you have no worries about there process.
Can't say for all FFL's but yes your dealer should contact you upon inspection & arrival of your firearm.
BOB