new DA agrees to not prosecute resisting arrest, 15 other cr

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

new DA agrees to not prosecute resisting arrest, 15 other cr

Post by M-Quigley »

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter ... YjolUoGJQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just in case you have to travel to Boston, here's a heads up starting in January. There are some people out there that would like to see this in places in Ohio as well. :roll: i've seen other people however say why not stop at just those crimes? Why not just quit prosecuting all crimes, particularly gun possession and use of force type crimes? Let the general public or the neighborhoos watch take care of it's own areas, like when the Phoenix PD went out on strike for a few days years ago.
With rare exception, offenses of shoplifting, trespass, threats, and larceny under $250 will no longer be prosecuted, as well as disturbing the peace, disorderly conduct, and “minor driving offenses,” according to the list.

Breaking and entering will not be prosecuted, as long as the perpetrator makes sure the property is vacant. Alternatively, those who commit break-ins of occupied homes because they are cold or tired, but don’t damage anything, will also be in the clear.

Offenders won’t have to worry about going to court over receiving stolen property or underage drinking, and won't be held accountable for wanton or malicious destruction of property, either.

Making threats will also be permitted, with the exception of those related to domestic violence.

Drug possession will no longer be prosecuted in Suffolk County – even in cases where the suspect is a drug dealer.
“I don’t think she’s properly taking into account the cost that criminals inflict on society even for minor crimes,” National District Attorney’s Association President William Fitzpatrick explained. “Ignoring minor crimes leads to an increase in violent crimes.”

Former U.S. President Barack Obama disagreed, and praised Rollins during a speech at the University of Illinois in September, WBZ reported.

“Do what they just did in Philadelphia and Boston, and elect state attorneys and district attorneys who are looking at issues in a new light,” he said at the time.

Northeastern University law professor Daniel Medwed concurred, and described Rollins’ declination to prosecute as “the next frontier of criminal justice reform,” WGBH reported.
“If you have a prosecutor who is declining to charge…that can go a long way toward advancing justice, cutting back on mass incarceration,” Medwed said.

“I think Rachael Rollins should be applauded for trying to do something different, for trying to address the trap of a criminal conviction that ensnares so many young people in Boston, especially young men of color,” the professor added. “Even if you get probation, typically, for one of these offenses, it's very easy to violate the terms of your probation.”

Being convicted of criminal offenses create a lot of hardships for offenders, Medwed argued.

“The collateral consequences of a criminal record are enormous. You'll have difficulty finding employment. You might be ineligible for certain forms of public housing, in some states you can't even vote,” he complained.

Rollins will be at the helm of the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office effective Jan. 2, 2019.
Bruenor

Re: new DA agrees to not prosecute resisting arrest, 15 othe

Post by Bruenor »

subjecting the rest of the population to criminals that have no motivation to give up a life of crime since they are never charged.

How idiotic, I can't believe people voted for anarchy. Next frontier of Criminal justice reform indeed.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Why have any laws at all? Why have a District Attorney?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

If you break into my home when I'm there, being prosecuted is the least of your worries. That sucking chest wound is going to seem like a much more pressing concern.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.