Question about Trump using the military at the border

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Question about Trump using the military at the border

Post by M-Quigley »

Recently Trump has stated that when the refugee caravan reaches the southern border he will use the military (not the national guard but the regular military) to stop the illegals from entering the country. The caravan is now estimated at 10,000 according to some sources. I've read somewhere that for Trump to use the regular military domestically he'd have to declare an emergency and ask Congress for permission. Congress is currently out of session, but it's estimated that the caravan won't reach the border until after the election anyway. (unless they get rides) To further complicate matters, there is a cat 4 hurricane that's going to hit SW Mexico and head northward. It appears it's going to hit north of where the caravan is currently at, but they will be traveling thru the post hurricane area as they go north.

Even assuming the president has the power to use the regular military at the border, how can they realistically stop them from entering the country via some part of the southern border? (short of claymores and MG's I mean) If they are able to detain most of them, where are you going to detain 10,000 people, and how quickly can they legally be sent back to Honduras?
ArmedAviator

Re: Question about Trump using the military at the border

Post by ArmedAviator »

Why not use MGs and claymores? It's not like they haven't been warned. Sure it won't look good on MSM, but it's one of the primary functions of the Federal Government listed in the Constitution - security of the border.

Also, no repeat offenders.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Treat it like what it is... an invasion. Repel an invasion by any means necessary. One of the few things that .fedgov is actually supposed to do.

Heaven forbid they put half as much time and energy into fixing their own countries as they spend invading ours.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Really?

Put this in context, there are a thousand unarmed men, women and children crossing the border and you think our military would just mow them down? I wrote "would", not "should". That would be a hard order to stomach for a lot of folks whether in the military or not, with terrible consequences for all involved.

The root of problem is those organizing the march, paying for it. Go find them.

Then build that wall.

But no need to contemplate murder....that's just wrong. And stupid.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Meh. Suit yourself. But, if the .fedgov won't do one of the few things it is actually supposed to do (ie defend the border/country) then why waste time supporting it? Why bother to follow its dictates? Why even have it?

No, the root of the problem is a bunch of people who seem to think that borders mean nothing and don't apply to them, that the laws of a sovereign country mean nothing and don't apply to them, and that think they can just ignore both. If they wish to come here then let them follow the laws and procedures in place already. No different than the idiots in Seattle that close down streets and attack drivers with impunity as the LEOs stand by twiddling their thumbs. They want to protest, fine protest. But, when they start assaulting other people and destroying other people's property then they are a mob and need to be dealt with. Their right to protest does not give them the right to impede others, to harm others, or to damage property.

Might be hard to stomach but it is what is necessary.
Mr. Glock wrote:Really?

Put this in context, there are a thousand unarmed men, women and children crossing the border and you think our military would just mow them down? I wrote "would", not "should". That would be a hard order to stomach for a lot of folks whether in the military or not, with terrible consequences for all involved.

Then build that wall.

Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

WY_Not wrote: But, if the .fedgov won't do one of the few things it is actually supposed to do (ie defend the border/country) then why waste time supporting it? Why bother to follow its dictates? Why even have it?
This part, I totally agree with you. Then we get into a moral laws vs administrative laws discussion (and I recall Boston T had a big distinction between those).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Mr. Glock wrote:Really?

Then build that wall.

Actually that was the number the last time. If it was just a thousand the full time military question wouldn't even be an issue. This time the estimated number is anywhere from 7000 to 10,000, depending on the source. That's assuming some Mexicans don't join the caravan along the way.

It's not likely Trump is going to order any specific military action, he'll probably listen to the joint chiefs or his national security advisor. The chances his advisors recommending killing ten thousand unarmed men women and children is less chance than me winning the Mega millions. So the real question is what can the military really do in this situation? Measures such as tear gas and concertina wire can easily be defeated by a large prepared group. Unless the current immigration laws are changed, once they get into the country and ask for asylum, there is a certain procedure that must be followed before they are deported. This procedure can take weeks or months and they (and the leftist groups that support them) know it.
WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WestonDon »

I keep hearing that using the military on the border is unconstitutional. I have a hard time believing the founders wouldn't have wanted the military to repel an invasion of the border.

I also believe the "kill 'em all let God sort 'em out" solution is not a good idea, in this case.

Now here's WestonDon's solution. Declare an emergency, Marshal law, whatever, along the border then send in the core of engineers and the Seabees to build runways and the required support structures then send enough troops to snag everyone who illegally crosses the border and immediately put them on an airplane bound back to their home country. It'll be the biggest airlift operation since the evacuation of Saigon and I have no doubt our military is up to the task.
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
screwman
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by screwman »

As a man on the radio suggested... Announce the first thousand to get here get in for free. A free for all will ensue and the problem will solve itself.
Mike

The American Indians found out what happens when you don't control immigration.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.
ArmedAviator

Post by ArmedAviator »

Mr. Glock wrote:Really? Put this in context, there are a thousand unarmed men, women and children crossing the border and you think our military would just mow them down? I wrote "would", not "should". That would be a hard order to stomach for a lot of folks whether in the military or not, with terrible consequences for all involved.
If the military doesn't, I'm sure there'd be significantly more volunteers than illegal immigrants heading our way that will do it for free with a smile to defend their country from an invasion. And sleep just fine that night and every night.

WestonDon wrote:I keep hearing that using the military on the border is unconstitutional. I have a hard time believing the founders wouldn't have wanted the military to repel an invasion of the border.

I also believe the "kill 'em all let God sort 'em out" solution is not a good idea, in this case.

Now here's WestonDon's solution. Declare an emergency, Marshal law, whatever, along the border then send in the core of engineers and the Seabees to build runways and the required support structures then send enough troops to snag everyone who illegally crosses the border and immediately put them on an airplane bound back to their home country. It'll be the biggest airlift operation since the evacuation of Saigon and I have no doubt our military is up to the task.
Bullets are significantly cheaper. Just saying. And most, not all, in this group of people understand the threat of violence and death can be expected at the US border. If people continue to push boundaries and continue getting "get out of jail free" cards over and over, it's basically like playing Mario Brothers. There's no real threat. It's a game of chance to them. Chance they'll get through and a chance they'll be sent back to the start to do it again.

These people seeking asylum from other countries down south ALREADY ARE IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. This is nothing more than a financed protest of US policies. Use force. End the game.
Good luck and stand fast, true Patriots.
TDwin
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Pick them all up and drop them in San Francisco, a Sanctuary city. Having an extra 15,000 migrants needed aid and shelter may suddenly make them rethink their position.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

Javelin Man wrote:Pick them all up and drop them in San Francisco, a Sanctuary city. Having an extra 15,000 migrants needed aid and shelter may suddenly make them rethink their position.
No, we don't need another 15,000 democRATic voters for the mid-term elections.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Ok, instead of San Francisco... air drop them over Mexico City. I'd even be willing to sell them parachutes at cost. :twisted:
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

Javelin Man wrote:Pick them all up and drop them in San Francisco, a Sanctuary city. Having an extra 15,000 migrants needed aid and shelter may suddenly make them rethink their position.
Maybe they could help pick up poop in the city.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
rouger10

Post by rouger10 »

The Israeli's have been dealing with constant protests and mob violence for years. Here is one of their solutions. And I think it is a wonderful solution to our own "caravan" problem !!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_(weapon)

Roger