Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Coordinators, Moderators

Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Bruenor » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:36 am

Looks like it's that time again. Is anyone planning on heading downtown for this ?

http://www.clevelandpolicefoundation.or ... n-buyback/

Saturday October 21, 2017 from 9 a.m. to noon, the Cleveland Police Foundation is holding the 11th Annual Gun Buyback at the Cleveland Department of Police 3rd District Headquarters on 4501 Chester Avenue.

Last year’s was a huge success! Another 168 guns were exchanged for gift cards, making the total 3,076 removed from the City’s neighborhoods since the program’s inception
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 5761
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Javelin Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:31 am

Id doesn't say how much for any of the guns. I purchased a revolver at an auction at a ridiculous low price just so I can go to a gun buyback and get some money for it. Now I have tickets to OSU vs. PSU.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:53 pm
Location: Sandusky County

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Brian D. » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:46 am

Jav, as you know, our side shows up more as buyers than sellers. The PD Association or whoever will be handing out gift cards to places most of us don't care to shop anyhow.

Bru, thanks for the heads up. But it's the wrong end of the state for me, plus gun funds are at kinda low ebb this week. Nothin' bad, just bills.

And yeah, I don't ask longtime members anymore, I just shorten their user names when the mood strikes me. :mrgreen:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14243
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Javelin Man » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am

Brian D. wrote:Jav, as you know, our side shows up more as buyers than sellers. The PD Association or whoever will be handing out gift cards to places most of us don't care to shop anyhow.

Bru, thanks for the heads up. But it's the wrong end of the state for me, plus gun funds are at kinda low ebb this week. Nothin' bad, just bills.

And yeah, I don't ask longtime members anymore, I just shorten their user names when the mood strikes me. :mrgreen:


:lol: :P

I figured I could score a couple purchases as well, but still the wrong side of the state when I need to head to the middle in short order.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:53 pm
Location: Sandusky County

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby steves 50de » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Brian D. wrote:Jav, as you know, our side shows up more as buyers than sellers. The PD Association or whoever will be handing out gift cards to places most of us don't care to shop anyhow.

Bru, thanks for the heads up. But it's the wrong end of the state for me, plus gun funds are at kinda low ebb this week. Nothin' bad, just bills.

And yeah, I don't ask longtime members anymore, I just shorten their user names when the mood strikes me. :mrgreen:

Well Brian i will be there to save a few from the furnace. :D
steves 50de
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: n.e. ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby carmen fovozzo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:37 am

Steve oh buddy...Does you're wife know you are buying more guns ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member
 
Posts: 18021
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am
Location: NEO

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby rimfireOH » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 am

Where will the assembled buyers assemble?
I was already going to be in the neighborhood about that time...
User avatar
rimfireOH
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:49 am
Location: NE Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Brian D. » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 am

rimfireOH wrote:Where will the assembled buyers assemble?
I was already going to be in the neighborhood about that time...


The police will rope off as much space around their property as they can get away with to discourage "competition" with their circus..uh, program. At least from reading about this from year to year.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14243
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Bianchi? » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:54 am

Brian D. wrote:
rimfireOH wrote:Where will the assembled buyers assemble?
I was already going to be in the neighborhood about that time...


The police will rope off as much space around their property as they can get away with to discourage "competition" with their circus..uh, program. At least from reading about this from year to year.


The last time I was up there, the police were bouncing all of the private buyers off of the block where the circus was based for the buyer's "protection". Which was interesting because I was there with my DSLR and had no issue whatsoever walking around inside of the "danger" zone.
I've had consistently good results with ether.
User avatar
Bianchi?
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:42 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Bruenor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:04 pm

Looks like the particulars are the same as in previous Cleveland gun 'buy backs'.

Gun owners can swap their working weapons for gift cards this Saturday at the 2017 Cleveland gun buyback.

The event will begin at 9 a.m. at the Third District Headquarters at 4501 Chester Avenue.

Owners will have the opportunity to exchange handguns for a $100 gift card, and semi-automatic assault-style weapons for a $200 gift card.

Police will accept non-semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, but gift cards aren't being offered in exchange for those types of guns.

Police officers will inspect the guns to make sure they work before turning over gift cards.


Should be an opportunity for some really good cash deals on Shotguns and bolt action rifles. Not to mention whatever other gems might show up. I recall in years past seeing S&W Revolvers, an Arisaka rifle, M1 Carbine, Ruger Redhawk.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine
User avatar
Bruenor
 
Posts: 5761
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:03 pm
Location: Geneva, OH

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby steves 50de » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 pm

Bruenor wrote:Looks like the particulars are the same as in previous Cleveland gun 'buy backs'.

Gun owners can swap their working weapons for gift cards this Saturday at the 2017 Cleveland gun buyback.

The event will begin at 9 a.m. at the Third District Headquarters at 4501 Chester Avenue.

Owners will have the opportunity to exchange handguns for a $100 gift card, and semi-automatic assault-style weapons for a $200 gift card.

Police will accept non-semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, but gift cards aren't being offered in exchange for those types of guns.

Police officers will inspect the guns to make sure they work before turning over gift cards.


Should be an opportunity for some really good cash deals on Shotguns and bolt action rifles. Not to mention whatever other gems might show up. I recall in years past seeing S&W Revolvers, an Arisaka rifle, M1 Carbine, Ruger Redhawk.

I would not say they inspect the guns that well. I turned one in with the trigger JB welded to keep it from falling off. :roll: :lol:
steves 50de
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:26 pm
Location: n.e. ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby rickt » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:34 am

I happened to be driving by and saw about five guys with signs about a block east of the CPD location. I stopped to see if any forum members were present but none of those present said they were and I got the impression that some of them had never heard of OFCC.
User avatar
rickt
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 am
Location: Cuyahoga County

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Brian D. » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 am

Well hopefully "our side" was able to rescue some good guns from the smelter.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.
 
Posts: 14243
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:42 pm
Location: SW Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby M-Quigley » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:48 am

Speaking of the smelter, if any guns were stolen in another part of Ohio, used by who knows how many criminals before being turned in at the Cleveland buy back, does the PD check and return the gun to it's rightful owner?
M-Quigley
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Annual Cleveland gun 'buyback' Oct 21st 2017

Postby Javelin Man » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 am

M-Quigley wrote:Speaking of the smelter, if any guns were stolen in another part of Ohio, used by who knows how many criminals before being turned in at the Cleveland buy back, does the PD check and return the gun to it's rightful owner?


:lol: :lol:
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member
 
Posts: 6627
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:53 pm
Location: Sandusky County

Next

Return to Jeff Kirchner's Korner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests