Legal question/Lawyer...

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Legal question/Lawyer...

Post by carmen fovozzo »

In small claims court if a counter claim is made by the defendants lawyer should the plaintiff be notified of it before the court date ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Legal question/Lawyer...

Post by sodbuster95 »

Standard lawyer answer: It depends. :wink:

Generally, a counterclaim is filed in conjunction with the answer but that is not always the case. Regardless of when it's filed, however, the plaintiff gets a period to answer the counterclaim in the same way that the defendant has a period to answer the initial claim. If that period has not elapsed by the court date (and presuming that the plaintiff has not filed an answer), then the counterclaim won't be heard at that court date. A counterclaim must be served upon the plaintiff and filed with the court just as the answer was. If the defendant failed to properly serve or file the counterclaim, then it cannot be heard by the court.

One of the purposes of small claims court is to avoid protracted arguments about procedure so as to resolve the matter quickly and efficiently. However, that doesn't mean procedure is ignored.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Court date..4-29-16...heard counter claim... First time hearing about it...4-30-16 received counter claim in mail..post marked the 27th.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

If the court heard the counterclaim, but the plaintiff was never served, then I'd file objections with the court if the outcome is not favorable. There is generally only a very limited time during which objections can be filed, so the plaintiff will want to pay close attention.

Of course, if the ruling is in plaintiff's favor...then the issue is moot.

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I see...now does the plaintiff wait to hear in his favor before he objects to the counter claim ? Or take a chance and file the objection first ? And maybe upset the court...
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

That's a strategic question which cannot be readily answered given the limited information available. I would be tempted to wait and see what the magistrate does, but it depends on the circumstances of the case.

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thanks for the info..You have been very helpful...
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

One last question please...is the final court finding done at another hearing or by mail ?
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

Since this is small claims, the magistrate issues a recommendation that is forwarded to the parties and the court. If neither party objects, the court adopts the recommendation and enters it as an order. If either party objects, the next steps will depend on the court. The judge can hold a hearing on the matter or, more likely, have the magistrate hold another hearing or order both parties to submit written pleadings.

Small claims courts have been described as the "wild west" of the judicial system and, as an attorney, I quite frankly stay out of them. The few times I've had a client in small claims, I've immediately filed for transfer to the regular docket.

As an update to my prior answers: Notwithstanding the Rules of Civil Procedure (which do apply here), I note that R.C. 1925.02(C) expressly requires that a party filing a counterclaim "shall file it with the small claims division and serve it on all other parties at least seven days prior to the date of the trial of the plaintiff's claim in the original action." As this is a jurisdictional requirement, should the magistrate rule against the plaintiff in this case, the objection to the judge would be on the basis that the court lacks jurisdiction due to improper service.

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Thanks again..have a nice weekend....
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

sodbuster95 wrote:Small claims courts have been described as the "wild west" of the judicial system and, as an attorney, I quite frankly stay out of them. The few times I've had a client in small claims, I've immediately filed for transfer to the regular docket.
Can you as an attorney even enter small claims? I know you can give advice in the hallway but I thought one of the purposes behind small claims was to eliminate the attorney aspect in the courtroom.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Lawyers always were aloud in small claims. .to represent you.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Lawyers always were aloud in small claims. .to represent you.
Maybe I'm thinking because it simply doesn't happen. If the case is small enough to be handled in small claims, any lawyer fees are going to most likely be larger than the max small claim reward, therefore it would be a loss no matter what.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Lawyers always were aloud in small claims. .to represent you.
Is someone finally suing you because of your spelling? :mrgreen:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Nope.....someone wants something for nothing. ..we are talking a couple grand here..they have a lawyer and I'm playing one.