Windows 10 - Thoughts

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Windows 10 - Thoughts

Post by schmieg »

Javelin Man wrote:So far, so good. It had to download twice to successfully install on my Windows 7 computer. Nothing to hate yet, things go faster and don't freeze as often and when they do, gets corrected faster.
It's still downloading (I guess) on my three systems. I've lost about 10 gig in storage space and it messes with the file check on my backup so that it reads errors on every backup (there aren't any - it's just the partially downloaded files).

I figure I'll give it until after the Party In The Park and then try forcing downloads.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

GlockMan27 wrote:Have had it installed since this morning. Haven't had much time to play with it yet.

If you want to try to push the download you can use the command prompt. Type "wuauclt.exe /updatenow". You may have to delete all previous downloads in "C:/windows/softwaredistribution/downloads" first.
When doing this you should first stop the Windows Update Service, then delete the entire contents of the "c:\windows\Software Distribution" folder. restart the Windows update service, it will re-create the directory structure under c:\windows\Software Distribution folder and it's related files automatically.

I've had to do this on a number of machines for various reasons.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Is anyone else still awaiting the automatic download to complete? I have three machines trying to install Win10 every morning when booted up according to the logs.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

schmieg wrote:Is anyone else still awaiting the automatic download to complete? I have three machines trying to install Win10 every morning when booted up according to the logs.
If you're having trouble getting it to download, you can use the Media Creation Tool to manually download it. Get that here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ol-install" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With that tool, you can download it either as an ISO to burn to disc or to a flash drive. You can use this version to either upgrade or do a clean install.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

sd790 wrote:There is a fix for the cycle of never-ending Windows problems. Thanks to Ubuntu Linux, I've been Windows free for well over a decade. Mrs. sd790 and my two teenage daughters all use it on their own laptops and we've had zero (ZERO!) crashes in all of that time. It's funny how Microsoft touts the features which so often end up being stuff I've been using with Linux for 15 years or more. (Journaled file systems, virtual desktops, etc.).

Give it a try sometime. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
I have an Ubuntu file and web server, as well as an infrequently used laptop running it.

While I think there's nothing better for a small business file server (Ubuntu or other distribution), Ubuntu really doesn't cut it for a layman's general use PC, at least not if you need to REALLY interact with other operating systems and software.

Ubuntu especially has serious video compatibility problems, in particular with older video hardware. These problems can be overcome, but NOT by your grandmother... unless she was running buddies with Grace Lee Hopper. Expecting the average user to add repositories and find the right drivers for their Nvidea display adapter is just nonsense. My mother didn't even know she had Windows 8. Expecting her to fix her video in terminal mode, then know how to switch drivers afterward before the GUI locks up is like believing in the tooth fairy.

When my mother screwed up her XP laptop and replaced it (sending it to me with no restore disks). It wasn't TOO much trouble for me to get it going under Ubuntu. Of course I've been working with Linux off and on since the '90s. On the other hand, I have no need for TRUE MS Office capability, and mostly use that laptop on trips, to browse the web, read pdfed books, and watch movies. I'm sure it'd be great for programming routers and managed switches, but for actual business purposes, not so much. To run any sort of games that 99% of laymen would be interested in? Not at all... although I did manage to get "Age of Rifles" to run on it using DOSBox.
Life comes at you fast. Be prepared to shoot it in the head when it does.
gfrlaser

Post by gfrlaser »

I downloaded and installed with no problems. Took about 1/2 hour for the entire process. So far the only thing I hate is the new browser. Back to Opera I guess.
"The sins of the evil do not justify restricting the rights of the good"
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

gfrlaser wrote:I downloaded and installed with no problems. Took about 1/2 hour for the entire process. So far the only thing I hate is the new browser. Back to Opera I guess.
Same here....I can't see anything different...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

deanimator wrote:While I think there's nothing better for a small business file server (Ubuntu or other distribution), Ubuntu really doesn't cut it for a layman's general use PC, at least not if you need to REALLY interact with other operating systems and software.
Most people in IT don't get that the average end-user don't really care (or sometimes even know) what OS they're running as long as they can do the things they need (or think they need) to do easily, reliably, and repetitively.

Linux may be great for the IT-geek (and I'm one of them) that likes to tinker in a terminal window or spend countless hours trying to figure out how to make a driver work that is not officially supported simply for the satisfaction of having done it. But the average user does not want to try to figure out how to make the Word document someone sent them from Office 2010 work in OpenOffice. And they don't care what "RPM" is unless you're talking about their drive to work this morning.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

sodbuster95 wrote:But the average user does not want to try to figure out how to make the Word document someone sent them from Office 2010 work in OpenOffice.
The truth is that even Word Perfect under Windows isn't 100% compatible with Word. A lawyer friend HATES Microsoft, ESPECIALLY office, but had to get Office just so that documents he gets from other people format properly.
sodbuster95 wrote:And they don't care what "RPM" is unless you're talking about their drive to work this morning.
This same lawyer friend is trying to set up a small Ubuntu web and file server and was totally defeated by the orphan status of so many Nvidea adapters. If I hadn't gone through it to learn how to support him, he'd still be banging his head on the desk. And that's JUST to get the GUI working. Can you imagine somebody with NO computer experience trying to deal with that?
Bruenor

Post by Bruenor »

deanimator wrote:
sodbuster95 wrote:But the average user does not want to try to figure out how to make the Word document someone sent them from Office 2010 work in OpenOffice.
The truth is that even Word Perfect under Windows isn't 100% compatible with Word. A lawyer friend HATES Microsoft, ESPECIALLY office, but had to get Office just so that documents he gets from other people format properly.
sodbuster95 wrote:And they don't care what "RPM" is unless you're talking about their drive to work this morning.
This same lawyer friend is trying to set up a small Ubuntu web and file server and was totally defeated by the orphan status of so many Nvidea adapters. If I hadn't gone through it to learn how to support him, he'd still be banging his head on the desk. And that's JUST to get the GUI working. Can you imagine somebody with NO computer experience trying to deal with that?
I have a friend who kept getting his windows machine infected with tons of malware.. I finally switched him over to Ubuntu LTS, Showed him the icon for mail and Internet, and told him if it prompts to update say yes.. He ran happily and problem free for a couple years till the PC died. I helped them pick a new machine online from micro-center, they went and bought it, when I dropped by a few weeks later I asked to see the PC and it was still in the box, they wanted Ubuntu installed before they even powered it on. Funny how that works. They are equally inept at both Windows and Linux so to them it really doesn't make any different as long as they can browse the web, print document, get email, and type letters in Libre Office, and stay malware free.

As for nvidia I use module assistant and compile my nvidia driver. It just works with the least amount of grief, been doing it this way for years.

aptitude install module-assistant
m-a update
m-a prepare
export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.6
./NVIDIA-someDriverVersionThatIsCompatibleWithMy_nVidiaCard

takes less than 5 minutes to update, compile, and install the video driver after a Kernel upgrade.

Linux Mint seems to take care of everything automatically as far as media and drivers goes. at least the couple times I've tried it, it was a nice experience. Ubuntu I've looked at a couple times, but it never interested me.
Debian has been my preferred distro for over 15 years. Tried a few other distros prior and since, but none have been as stable and functional as Debian. I use it for everything at home aside from Windows games, I do have a lot of Linux games installed, but I do like retro gaming. After supporting a Windows environment all day at work it's nice to come home to a system that just works. It's like the Energizer bunny it just keeps going and going. Jessie (Debian 8 ) was released not all that long ago, that excited me far more than the Windows 10 release.

True I don't expect others to know how to run Linux, but I spend far less time (pretty much ZERO) supporting my friends PC now that it runs Linux, He and the wife are extremely happy with it, and probably don't even know Widows 10 has been released. They do NOT have an nVidia card.. straight Intel, integrated video, it just works through the standard upgrades, no special drivers to wrestle with.
Μολὼν λαβέ

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem."

- Thomas Jefferson
deanimator

Post by deanimator »

Bruenor wrote:True I don't expect others to know how to run Linux, but I spend far less time (pretty much ZERO) supporting my friends PC now that it runs Linux, He and the wife are extremely happy with it, and probably don't even know Widows 10 has been released. They do NOT have an nVidia card.. straight Intel, integrated video, it just works through the standard upgrades, no special drivers to wrestle with.
If you have the right hardware, Linux is extremely easy to install and maintain.

If you have the wrong hardware, it's hell.

In addition to video issues, I've run into almost intractable system board problems, including an inability to reboot or shut down from the GUI.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

Back on topic please or start a Linux topic. 8)
Abandon ye all HOPE!
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

None of the PCs I have at home seem to have even started the upgrade (I tried the command to force the download on my netbook, but nothing has started for a couple of days now). When I check status with the icon in the tray, I get "We're working with our partners to make sure that Windows 10 is ready for your particular PC. When you get your notification, it means that you can proceed with your upgrade."

Looks like each of them has some hardware device or other driver that isn't ready for prime-time in the current distribution.
I wonder if it's my HP printer driver, which is common to all of them - last Win7 upgrade, HP dropped support for my printer, making me buy a new one. :evil:

But being in the middle of a kitchen renovation, I really can't spend time looking into it.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

I gave my laptop a new name...speedy Gonzales.....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

Mine seems faster most of the time. It also knocks me offline after a long time of inactivity and I have to go through troubleshooting which solves it quickly each time.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George