Things you hear at the gun store......

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Splat!!

Re: Things you hear at the gun store......

Post by Splat!! »

Bombarde32 wrote:I love this thread, everyone! I so look forward to seeing new posts. Keep 'em coming. :D

Here's my little contribution: at the range tonight, a guy hands a 10-12 year old a p-mag and a box of .223. "Here you go, son, load 'er up for me. Make sure they all point forward."

Can't argue with that...
LOL, that is what I done to my son with his .22...I originally had mags loaded for our enjoyment and to save time...Soon found out, I saved him time and cut into my trigger time, you slow ammo consumption down greatly when they have to load their own mags...... :wink:
"Our government... teaches the whole people by its example. If the government becomes the lawbreaker, it breeds contempt for law; it invites every man to become a law unto himself; it invites anarchy."
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

I went to Rural King in Lebanon with my brother and a friend last Friday. It was very busy so we waited patiently for help as there were only two guys behind the counter. AS we are checking things out, we overhear one of the employees talking to an obviously new prospective gun owner. The new guy is considering the purchase of a semi auto handgun for self defense. The salesman starts in: "I'm not trying to talk you out of buying a gun, but let me give you something to consider. 65% of all shootings involve some kind of physical contact or even wrestling. With a semi auto like this, or any other, if there is any pressure on the front of the gun at all (he pushes on the front of the slide to simulate the gun contacting a body) the gun simply wont fire as the trigger mechanism is disengaged. The customer ponders things for a minute and thanks the salesperson for bringing this to his attention. He then hands him the pistol and leaves without purchasing anything.

My brother went back today to get a rifle that was on sale. He called me after he left the store to relay this:
While he was there, a different customer is there looking at a .22 semi auto for his daughter. He mentions it will be for concealed carry and self defense. The same salesperson is helping this guy.
Salesman: "A .22 is absolutely the worst gun for self defense, you may as well not have anything"
Customer: "Well she is very inexperienced with shooting and I want to get something that will be easy for her to learn to shoot."
Salesman: "Let me give you some advise..."
Customer: "I don't want or need your advise, I know what I want"

At this point the salesman shut up and sold him the gun. My brother nods at the customer and says "good for you".

According to my brother, and from what I saw on Friday, the guy had a serious "I know it all" attitude. He had other interactions with a customer that brought her dog in, giving her dog training advise that was way off the mark. (My brother has dog training and showing experience, I don't.)

The salesman's day concludes and he leaves while my brothers transaction is being processed. He asks the other employee "What is that guys deal with the attitude? The employee states "He is a cop and really likes revolvers so he is always dissing semi autos and steering customers to revolvers".

Anyone else ever hear this "65%" stat?
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Force the semi-auto's slide into battery with the thumb of your weapon/dominant hand. From there, trigger off a contact round. Hopefully, that'll buy you enough time/distance to perform immediate action on the gun and get it into the fight. It's a valid extreme-close-quarters technique.

One caveat is that it may not work on all semi-autos. Grip safeties and exposed hammers are two potential problems which will require alterations in technique and may pose yet other limitations.

The bigger problem is that the pistol at one's side is that proverbial hammer: the world's problem suddenly all seem like nails.

That close, it's not about accessing *any* weapon. It's about realizing that you've got to survive that initial violence, to solve that problem so that you can get to your weapon when the opportunity presents itself. Solving this problem may mean that you have to run away and make distance first. Or it may mean that you have to use your hands and feet to fight. Or it may well mean that you've taken that first lick and the fight has gone to ground.

OK. Aside from that, I'd ask the officer to clear his gun, and then allow me to put my hand around the cylinder.

If that 65% really goes to grappling, I'd say that his revolver stands a good chance of not being able to shoot - and unlike a semi-automatic, it's not that it can only shoot one shot, rather, that it won't shoot, at all.

http://loadoutroom.com/12425/close-quar ... b-gun-win/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Article authored by Mark Miller, which came to my attention from Greg Ellifritz's excellent "Weekend Knowledge Dump" segment via his ART mailing list/website.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I had a nice salesman handing me AR platform rifles to look at.

As I was rubbing what looked like a burr on the edge of the M203 cutout on the barrel of one of the AR's, the salesman told me that's where they welded on a barrel extension to take it from 12" to 16".

I just said, "Oh, that's cool" and asked to see the next rifle.

The burr was just a piece of plastic stuck to the barrel.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tbrew85 wrote:I went to Rural King in Lebanon with my brother and a friend last Friday.
You went there on the wrong day. :wink:

I've only been in that Rural King on Sunday morning/afternoon. At that time the counter person is a very nice, attractive, gun savvy, young* woman who really knows what she's doing. Someone obviously brought her up around firearms and she will answer questions to the best of her knowledge, but isn't hesitant to get a manager or other staffer if she doesn't know. What's most impressive is the way she safely opens the actions of any firearms that go across the counter to a customer, muzzle awareness seems ingrained with her like it would a longtime competition shooter. A whole bunch of gun store employees I've encountered through the years could learn from her.

*Young enough to be my daughter, at best, dang it. :)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
tbrew85

Post by tbrew85 »

Brian D. wrote:
tbrew85 wrote:I went to Rural King in Lebanon with my brother and a friend last Friday.
You went there on the wrong day. :wink:

I've only been in that Rural King on Sunday morning/afternoon. At that time the counter person is a very nice, attractive, gun savvy, young* woman who really knows what she's doing. Someone obviously brought her up around firearms and she will answer questions to the best of her knowledge, but isn't hesitant to get a manager or other staffer if she doesn't know. What's most impressive is the way she safely opens the actions of any firearms that go across the counter to a customer, muzzle awareness seems ingrained with her like it would a longtime competition shooter. A whole bunch of gun store employees I've encountered through the years could learn from her.

*Young enough to be my daughter, at best, dang it. :)
The guy that helped us that day was a nice young man that was very helpful. He did have to call someone to the counter and it may be the young lady you referenced. She seemed to really know what she was doing.

My brother, and my buddy were cracking jokes while waiting, mostly at the expense of Mr know it all. The young guy kept apologizing for the wait. We assured him several times that we understood and were in no hurry. We were the last ones in the area and he commented as we were leaving, "You guys were awesome and the best people I dealt with all day, come back anytime". It was an entertaining trip to the store. :)
Proud father of a US Army Soldier

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert Heinlein