Dayton area carry instructor For female student

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

johnwilliamson062

Dayton area carry instructor For female student

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

I am hoping to get my wife into a CCW class over the next couple of months. I have taken several qualifying classes and sat in on a few others. I have witnessed an incredible difference in instruction. None of the classes could prepare a non-shooter to carry in the allotted time, but some were better than others at covering the basics and legal issues. I sat in an NRA first steps pistol class that was run fairly well and I will contact that instructor if I don't get any suggestions here.

My wife's shooting experience consists of shooting firearms into a water barrel to perform forensic ballistics tests and the aforementioned NRA First steps Pistol class. I pushed her to take the NRA class shortly after we were married to be sure she knew how to safely handle the firearms in our house. I was hoping she would be interested in shooting, but didn't happen. One of my main concerns is if she borrows my car and I happen to have left a pistol in the glovebox, or I go into a CPZ and leave it in the car with her and the police stop her for some reason. There isn't any real negative to her having one and it adds one to the license statistics, right?

So, after that circuitous introduction we arrive at the question:
Any recommendations for an instructor in the Dayton area?
Tweed Ring

Re: Dayton area carry instructor For female student

Post by Tweed Ring »

There's a guy named John Farquar, who runs Mad Duck training. I've been to a great deal of training in my career, and I have always been impressed with John.

http://www.madduckttc.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rainmaker
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by rainmaker »

Some ranges offer ladies only CCW classes. Point Blank is one, but both locations are closer to Cincy. You might check with Vandalia Range & Armory. Mad Duck does have a real good reputation - folks I know who took classes there were real happy with John and staff.
Steve
NRA member (long, long time)
NMLRA member (even longer)
OFCC member, BFA member
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

I recommend this guy:
http://2ndamendmentstuff.com/2as-training-c-148.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

Did you find a class for your wife? If not, you may want to consider classes at Fox's Shooting Loft in Enon. They are relatively new and have a chapter of the Well Armed Woman on site. That said, I haven't taken any of their classes - just done some shopping & target shooting - so you will want to make sure the teaching is up to snuff. But your wife may be more comfortable taking a class from other women, and I believe this is something they offer.
...learning new things every day!
johnwilliamson062

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

Wife found a class through a friend.
Not sure who the instructor was or how good it was as I didn't go.
Only her and friend in the class, so that was good. Didn't come back with any info that was obviously out dated or incorrect.

She processed through Montgomery County and it was only 24 hours. That is how fast they did my renewal also.

Now we are planning a trip to AimHi to try out some of their many rental guns. Just have to see if I can work out a deal with them if we buy a gun as the range and rental fees could ad up quite quickly.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I second what Chuck said above.

Here's their newest website: http://www.3gtactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

johnwilliamson062 wrote:Wife found a class through a friend.
Not sure who the instructor was or how good it was as I didn't go.
Only her and friend in the class, so that was good. Didn't come back with any info that was obviously out dated or incorrect.

She processed through Montgomery County and it was only 24 hours. That is how fast they did my renewal also.

Now we are planning a trip to AimHi to try out some of their many rental guns. Just have to see if I can work out a deal with them if we buy a gun as the range and rental fees could ad up quite quickly.
Great news on your wife's CHL. I have not heard of AimHi, so I will have to look it up. I thought I knew all the ranges around here by now. :? If you're looking for semi-autos, Fox's will let you try 3 different rental guns for a single rental fee (per visit, of course), but their selection is more limited than say Vandalia R&A. I think they do have a few of the more popular revolvers (e.g. LCR). That could help narrow it down. Happy New Year Shopping!!!
...learning new things every day!