Small of Back Convert

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Small of Back Convert

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:your so practical and right most of the time.. :)
^ My wife and daughter don't seem to think that I'm right any of the time........ :P :oops:
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

TKshooter wrote:Well I just recently changed my carry position to right behind the hip to small of back.

I usually carry in front of the hip about 10 o'clock (I'm a lefty). Carried that way for years.

I am a curvy women with hips, so I print like crazy. I've become used to my "sloppy" concealed carry- mostly relying on the fact that even if I am printing most people will either not notice or have no idea what it is.

But carrying on the hip and having hips- makes the gun stick out more than it should. I just figured this was my fate.

Then my husband made me a new holster and suggested I try it behind the hip instead of in front of it.

And wow! I am concealing better than I ever have. It's not even printing in most of my shirts. My hips are back to being just curvy hips rather than the left one being misshapen. lol.

I don't know why I was "against" small of back- but it is comfortable.

Apparently the "shelf" created by my rather curvy rear end creates the perfect hiding place for my gun.

Just wanted to share- I am happy that I tried something new and found a better way to conceal- now I feel more comfortable.

So lesson is- even if you have accepted a carry position- doesn't mean you can't try something new :mrgreen:
You say you're a lefty, are you using a right handed holster for SOB carry?

I ask because it is very hard to draw a gun from the SOB in an opposite side holster without muzzling yourself right across the kidney. I once made myself a left handed holster (I'm a righty) for SOB carry and learned I couldn't draw it safely.
Be careful out there,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

Chuck wrote:You say you're a lefty, are you using a right handed holster for SOB carry?

I ask because it is very hard to draw a gun from the SOB in an opposite side holster without muzzling yourself right across the kidney. I once made myself a left handed holster (I'm a righty) for SOB carry and learned I couldn't draw it safely.
Be careful out there,,,,
I think I am using the SOB term loosely like when people say appendix carry. I am actually carrying just right behind the hip, not in the center of my back or over my spine.

I have practiced my draw and it is a very similar draw stroke to when I carried right in front of my hip.

I am using my left handed holster and when I clear the holster I am not muzzling anything. So I guess technically I am carrying just left of small of back :)
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

TSiWRX wrote: And another is whether you can access the gun while you're on your back, on the ground.

There's a select group who will say that they carry a firearm because they can't be on the ground in a fight. Well, you know what, I bow to that group in that they not only can choose how the fight of their lives will go, but also to their skill in hand-to-hand fighting in that they can insure they don't go to the ground in a fight. :roll:

I apologize for being smart-alecky about that one, but honestly, have a training-partner sit or lay atop you and see if you can effect the draw from SOB or simply with the gun "clocked" farther towards your 6'o-clock. Again, we get to that question of "what are the odds," but on a very practical level, simply look at how Zimmerman was mounted.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. Points I initially forgot about and was going to add but you beat me to them. Zimmerman's fight is an excellent example.
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

That said, I often pocket carry, for many personal reasons. It's not my preferred method if I knew I was going to be in a fight, but there are other issues which I must take into consideration that makes it right for me, most of the time. I understand it brings with it some significant disadvantages. It's nearly impossible to get at in a hurry while seated at a restaurant or in my car for example. I at least know and understand my limitations of my method of carry, and have made peace with it more or less.

I don't want TKshooter to think I'm being overly critical of her preferred method of carry. I just believe we should all read and understand the fine print before we sign on the dotted line.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

So your actually carrying at 7or8 o'clock...that sounds better... :) carry on....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:So your actually carrying at 7or8 o'clock...that sounds better... :) carry on....
Thank you! I apologize for misrepresenting my carry as small of back... i did enjoy reading all of the tizzy it created- good material...
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Klingon00 wrote:That said, I often pocket carry, for many personal reasons. It's not my preferred method if I knew I was going to be in a fight, but there are other issues which I must take into consideration that makes it right for me, most of the time. I understand it brings with it some significant disadvantages. It's nearly impossible to get at in a hurry while seated at a restaurant or in my car for example. I at least know and understand my limitations of my method of carry, and have made peace with it more or less.

I don't want TKshooter to think I'm being overly critical of her preferred method of carry. I just believe we should all read and understand the fine print before we sign on the dotted line.
^ Exactly, there's pros and cons to everything, and what you'd written about pocket carry crosses-over well with a post I'd just made (as a reply to WhyNot) a bit ago on "The Bag Trick" thread:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... 3#p4274503" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:)

TKshooter, don't worry about it - in the end, it's your preference, your compromises. We're all different, and as-such, have different preferences where it comes to the subjective perception of comfort. Objectively, our bodies and how they are articulated are all different - and that's before we throw a couple of layers of clothes overtop, even if gender were taken out of the picture. Add to that our individual perceptions of risk and the how the "rewards" of any particular manner of carry may balance out against that....

Well, it gets complicated. :lol:
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

It would be much easier if people were not scared of guns. Then we could OC and wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It would be much easier if people were not scared of guns. Then we could OC and wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
No. Not just "No" but oh my goodness please in the name of all that is Holy, NO!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

carmen fovozzo wrote:It would be much easier if people were not scared of guns. Then we could OC and wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
When it comes to Carmen and Speedo's, firearms aren't what I would be afraid of.
Last edited by Klingon00 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

carmen fovozzo wrote:Then we could wear Speedo's all the time.. :)
Er..... Um...... Er..... <awkward silence> Uh, sir.......

:lol: :lol: 8)
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

TKshooter wrote:
Chuck wrote:You say you're a lefty, are you using a right handed holster for SOB carry?

Be careful out there,,,,
I think I am using the SOB term loosely like when people say appendix carry. I am actually carrying just right behind the hip, not in the center of my back or over my spine.

I have practiced my draw and it is a very similar draw stroke to when I carried right in front of my hip.

I am using my left handed holster and when I clear the holster I am not muzzling anything. So I guess technically I am carrying just left of small of back :)
Excellent!!
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Mal R

Post by Mal R »

Brian D. wrote:
Cruiser wrote:So what are the odds of the person carrying SOB falling on their back hard enough to injure themselves?
Hard to quantify. Odds seem to go up noticeably when we have lousy cold snowy icy winters though.
Yup, a few winters ago I managed to slip on some ice. Fortunately, I wasn't hurt, and there wasn't really anyone else around. If there would have been anyone else around to see it, I'm sure it looked like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football that was pulled away.
TSiWRX wrote:...have a training-partner sit or lay atop you and see if you can effect the draw from SOB or simply with the gun "clocked" farther towards your 6'o-clock. Again, we get to that question of "what are the odds," but on a very practical level, simply look at how Zimmerman was mounted.
Even 3:00 (or 9:00 for a lefty) could prove a bit difficult to access a firearm. Depending on how the person on top is positioned, his/her legs probably/likely/possibly could be blocking your firearm. Granted, it would be even more difficult the further back you go.

I typically carry just behind my hip, so it'll be a little more difficult to access my firearm. That's one advantage of appendix carry and a reason for secondary means of defense, but that's a topic for another thread.
"Were there monkeys? Some terrifying space monkeys maybe got loose?"
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Actually, what is usually referred to as S.O.B. (Small Of the Back) carry, is carrying your handgun at the six o'clock position. That's right on the spine--thus the concern about falling and spinal injury. The eight o'clock position is the standard, Behind the Hip carry that the FBI has used and recommended for years.

For many people, Behind the Hip carry provides the most discreet and concealable location for your firearm. It is the standard position for IDPA shooting competitions (IDPA doesn't allow carry in front of the hip).

You'll be fine.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.