almost trouble

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

megthered

almost trouble

Post by megthered »

I have had my CHL for about 6 months and I carry everyday. On Thursday my grass mower called and said he was going to cut the grass on Friday instead of Saturday. So I got out to the bank early . I had on tee shirt and sweatpants because at
6 am who would be there. When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed a small silver car but didn't think much of it, just kept it in mind. As soon as I got out if the car and got up to the ATM, the silver car started up and pulled 2 spaces away from my car. I took a deep breath and finished the transaction and headed to my car. I stretched and took my sunglasses off of my head, but my gun peeked out from under my shirt. It was obvious. The silver car started up and pulled out. I went home. I've told the story to the pro gun and anti gun sides of my family and they all agree I probably avoided some serious trouble. I think my gun saved my life.
TJW815

Re: almost trouble

Post by TJW815 »

Or you scared off some poor anti gun soccer mom. Lol. :)

Always good to keep that watchful eye out.

Eta: you needed sunglasses at 0600?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

megthered wrote: On Thursday my grass mower called
You have a talking lawn mower? NEAT!! :lol:
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

megthered wrote:I have had my CHL for about 6 months and I carry everyday. On Thursday my grass mower called and said he was going to cut the grass on Friday instead of Saturday. So I got out to the bank early . I had on tee shirt and sweatpants because at
6 am who would be there. When I pulled into the parking lot I noticed a small silver car but didn't think much of it, just kept it in mind. As soon as I got out if the car and got up to the ATM, the silver car started up and pulled 2 spaces away from my car. I took a deep breath and finished the transaction and headed to my car. I stretched and took my sunglasses off of my head, but my gun peeked out from under my shirt. It was obvious. The silver car started up and pulled out. I went home. I've told the story to the pro gun and anti gun sides of my family and they all agree I probably avoided some serious trouble. I think my gun saved my life.
Always trust your guy instinct. Always.

You did fine.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

I agree that it sounds like you avoided trouble!

Good job being aware of your surroundings.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

I don't worry too much about what people think of me if they see my gun. Better to explain later than be a victim now. I think you did fine. I generally avoid using walk up ATM's. I use the drive through and do not put car in park. I can always drag the perp if needed or swerve crush the [deleted--TR] between my car and the building if I couldn't draw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote:I generally avoid using walk up ATM's.
Yeah, definitely a bit vulnerable at those, especially if by alone. I likely make for humorous viewing if someone ever reviews the videos from any walk up I've used. Head on a swivel and all that. As though I'm about to stick up the machine and don't want the po-po to see me. :mrgreen:

megthered, you did fine. Easier and safer to go from Condition Yellow to Orange (and back) than from White to Red. Oh, that's kinda old school, let me explain a little:

--Condition White: Completely relaxed, like when you're at home with the gun at hand, the dog alert, the alarm on, and the doors locked.

--Condition Yellow: Relaxed but aware and alert, which is normal operating procedure during most waking hours, especially outside home.

--Condition Orange: You're focusing on something that just doesn't seem right, however you're not oblivious to other things going on around you.

--Condition Red: Confirmation that what you're observing ain't right, and will require you to take some type of action to insure your safety.

Now, those are not verbatim, and my description a bit generic and bland. Others have their own take on awareness, I believe Jeff Cooper was responsible for the color coding system. Works pretty darn good in my experience.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

^^^^ I'm always in condition orange.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ATGglobal wrote:^^^^ I'm always in condition orange.
You are always in a situation where there is someone you've identified as an adversary that you are prepared to take lethal action against? Your life is much different than mine, and I wouldn't trade for anything.

For those who are unfamiliar with Cooper's color codes, here is his simplified version:
In White you are unprepared and unready to take lethal action. If you are attacked in White you will probably die unless your adversary is totally inept.
In Yellow you bring yourself to the understanding that your life may be in danger and that you may have to do something about it.
In Orange you have determined upon a specific adversary and are prepared to take action which may result in his death, but you are not in a lethal mode.
In Red you are in a lethal mode and will shoot if circumstances warrant.
For me, I live in Yellow (which I think of as constant vigilance), I'm only in White from just before falling asleep until just after waking. I can only recall a hand full of times I've been in Orange, and I've only once been in Red (before I was a firearm owner, which is probably the only reason the particular punk that targeted me that night survived the encounter.)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

JustaShooter wrote:For those who are unfamiliar with Cooper's color codes, here is his simplified version:
Coop's codes were different than the ones cited above (which the other gent was referring to when he said he was in Condition "orange" all the time).
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

I like wearing orange...preferably fluorescent. Does that count?

:P
MyWifeSaidYes
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

jabeatty wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:For those who are unfamiliar with Cooper's color codes, here is his simplified version:
Coop's codes were different than the ones cited above (which the other gent was referring to when he said he was in Condition "orange" all the time).
No, they were just paraphrased:
Now, those are not verbatim, and my description a bit generic and bland. Others have their own take on awareness, I believe Jeff Cooper was responsible for the color coding system.

Even with the paraphrasing, Orange isn't a state one should constantly have to live in, unless your life is very different than a typical person:
--Condition Orange: You're focusing on something that just doesn't seem right, however you're not oblivious to other things going on around you.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
megthered

Post by megthered »

Thanks, I should have called the police but what could I have said? Nothing happened and I would have had to go through explaining my CHL and it would have been a big mess. I did tell everyone in my family and made sure they DO NOT GO TO A WALK UP ATM WITHOUT BEING AWARE. My anti gun faction of the family thinks unicorns will save them. The rest of us try to look out for them.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
I like wearing orange...preferably fluorescent. Does that count?

:P
and skipping... you forgot that part... :-P
ohiophotog

Post by ohiophotog »

I prefer tactical condition butterscotch. :mrgreen: :lol:
- OK. Jokes over. Bring back the Constitution.
- Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by stupidity.
- No trees were harmed during the transmission of this message, however a ton of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.