In the Waistband Holsters?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mommyb246

In the Waistband Holsters?

Post by mommyb246 »

Hey I'm new here. I have a question about in the waist band holsters. I am looking for a comfortable one that will not have a lot of extra bulk, can any of you guys help me out with some recommendations?
Thanks,
Bethany
wkdravenna

Re: In the Waistband Holsters?

Post by wkdravenna »

There are lots of choices, what kind of firearm are you trying to holster ? That would be important thing to know.

Welcome to Forum.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
mommyb246

Post by mommyb246 »

wkdravenna wrote:There are lots of choices, what kind of firearm are you trying to holster ?

Welcome to Forum.
I have a Sig P238, any recommendations?
Hatrix

Post by Hatrix »

Depending on what weapon you're looking for a holster for you can check the Foxx Holsters site.

He has nice inside the waistband holsters at incredible prices and doesn't charge for shipping. I'd recommend trying his Little Foxx holster if it is available for your weapon. That's his smallest and most comfortable one that I've tried.

Not sure if posting links is permitted but here's the site..

http://www.foxxholsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm a fan of the hybrid holsters (leather backing and kydex shell). I use a Crossbreed Supertuck I picked up on their seconds website. Plenty of folks make similar setups, I'm sure some other folks will fill you in on them shortly...
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I don't know what you require but. I also like the Leather / Kydex Hybrid Holsters. I have a Minotaur but I am going to upgrade here soon to a custom made holster from a local holster artist up here in Toledo pretty soon.

Also recomend checking out the Belly Band. That is a good one and you can deep conceal with it.. I use that too on occasion. I think it depends on what you've got.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

With the exception of some very deep concealment holsters, you'll have to plan to wear some sort of covering garment to conceal your firearm. Keeping that in mind, you might also want to consider an Outside the Waistband (OWB) holster. They tend to be much more comfortable, and perhaps a bit easier to dress around.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Welcome to OFCC, Bethany.

I'd recommend that you take a few minutes to search through old posts here that are specific to women's holster concerns. There's some really great threads that contain a lot of good material as well as both in- and out-links.

"Comfort" is very subjective. What I find to be comfortable may be even more so for another individual, completely unbearable for another, or just so-so for yet someone else. Even when everything else is held the same - the holster, how it's carried on one's body (both "clocking" as well as the set-up of the holster), other gear considerations (belt, undergarment, etc.), the gun - the simple fact that comfort is a subjective evaluation makes it hard for any advice to truly be universal. And while most of us men can be lumped into one of a few different body shapes, for women, there's usually much more variability...and this makes it even harder.

There are, however, some generalizations that can be made.

First, good support gear is essential. If you intend on waist-side carry, a good belt is an absolute must. Being a woman and perhaps having certain dress considerations, this can make things somewhat harder for you, but again, there are some very good old threads here that can help guide you. To get you started, give this one a read: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... hilit=belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I also put in this category under-garments, including the under-shirt. I'm an untucked-T kind of gu :oops: y, but when I train, I usually wear an under-shirt so as to avoid chafing at the holster/firearm area due to sweat/heat and my draw-stroke. Here, I like to wear undershirts that will not bunch/pull easily so as to insure both a good draw as well as, even more importantly, safe holstering - UnderArmour's compression shirts are thus a favorite.

Second, while full-hardshell Kydex (or other plastic) holsters, unlined, tend to offer the lowest profile, this will still depend to a large degree on belt-clip positioning. With the belt-clip positioned on top of the pistol, it will add bulk to what is already the bulkiest part of the gun/holster combo. To further lower carry profile, look for an offset clip - however, be aware that offsetting the clip can reduce stability. With a gun as small as the P238, this shouldn't be much of an issue, but if you plan to exercise while using this carry option, it should still be a consideration. Leather backed half-Kydex shell holsters tend to give the wearer better comfort (however, again, this is totally subjective - I know plenty of people who carry full-hardshell Kydex holsters, IWB; and while I prefer a full leather holster for IWB comfort, ironically, one of my most comfortable carry setups is my PM9 in a Garrett Industries Silent Thunder Slim II full-hardshell holster), the leather side - particularly if it is of thicker material or if it has an additional lined backing for further increasing comfort - can add to the profile of the holster. That said, a thinner leather half is not without its shortcomings, either: it's less resistant to stretching (which will occur over time and will narrow or even close the mouth of the holster, upon draw), and the sweat-shield can easily collapse over the mouth of the holster and make the re-holstering stroke a little more complicated. Typically, with full leather holsters, you'll need to pay a pretty penny and/or endure a longer wait-time to get one that's thin enough yet also rigid enough (to prevent the mouth of the holster from closing, once the gun is withdrawn).
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
kathys

Post by kathys »

Welcome! I also have a Sig p238 too and have tried quite a few holsters already. My favorite so far has been the Remora. I can wear it with any pants as long as they're not too loose and I don't have to wear a belt with it. It's not quite as secure as one that clips on to a belt but if you're careful how you place it there isn't a problem and it's very comfortable. My next favorite is the Betty Holster. It's a simple kydex holster with one clip and it works well with a belt or jeans with a heavier waistband. Both of them fit well and conceal up again my body and add very little bulk. I've found that it really works well if I layer my tees over it and I like the look of snugger layered tees.
mommyb246

Post by mommyb246 »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm a fan of the hybrid holsters (leather backing and kydex shell). I use a Crossbreed Supertuck I picked up on their seconds website. Plenty of folks make similar setups, I'm sure some other folks will fill you in on them shortly...

Do you know anyone that has used Crossbreed's Minituck or their Appendix carry holster?
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

Crossbreed makes a great holster, but they tend to be 4-6 weeks out from order to delivery. Many have found a Comp-Tac Minotaur to be a good competing holster.

I've been using a small outfits version of the same kind of thing, mine is from KHolster. It's been terrific and has lasted me...hmm, 3.5 years thus far?
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
zeko

Post by zeko »

+1 on the Comp-Tac Minotaur . . . I have one for my Kahr CW9. The holster is highly adjustable for just about any depth and/or cant.

Zeko
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

mommyb246 wrote:Do you know anyone that has used Crossbreed's Minituck or their Appendix carry holster?
I don't think there is any real difference - at least from the pictures, the Supertuck Shorty for my XDs looks just like the Minituck. I don't know anyone who uses their appendix carry holster.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

I'm solidly on board with the Crossbreed holsters and similar, too. A place online called White Hat Holsters makes them so you can replace just the Kydex for different pistols - about $22 vs. $65. I've tried a number of other holsters (some rather expensive), including the belly band. A word of warning on the belly band - mine doesn't have any sort of retention strap and I wish it did 'cause I've had stuff just slip right out of that thing! :oops: Getting it on and properly placed so you don't get the crunchy velcro sound while you're out and about is something of a trick too.
...learning new things every day!
kathys

Post by kathys »

The Pin-Up collection from Looper Brand has the Ava. It's a Crossbreed style iwb holster but it's cut differently for a woman's body. I haven't tried it but it looks good and I'm really thinking of getting it.

Do you know anyone that has used Crossbreed's Minituck or their Appendix carry holster?[/quote]