In the Waistband Holsters?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: In the Waistband Holsters?

Post by TSiWRX »

kathys wrote:The Pin-Up collection from Looper Brand has the Ava. It's a Crossbreed style iwb holster but it's cut differently for a woman's body. I haven't tried it but it looks good and I'm really thinking of getting it.
OK, this is a genuine question - not a challenge. Please don't read into this any more than the true question that's intended. :)

How, specifically, are the Looper Brand Pin-Up Collection IWB holsters "cut for a woman's body?"

"The Betty" seems to be pretty representative of any other hardshell IWB and thus doesn't make any claims to be gender-specific, but I honestly fail to see how "The Ava" is that special.....

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/the-ava.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They may be cut differently from a CrossBreed SuperTuck or a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC, but there's plenty of different hybrid IWBs out there nowadays, and a simple Google Image search for "hybrid iwb holsters" brings up many that are contoured similarly: https://www.google.com/search?q=hybrid+ ... 66&bih=647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Additionally, with the surging popularity of hybrid IWBs, those with synthetic backing materials are now very common as well. Because of the competitiveness of the IWB hybrid segment, different makers have started to add their own features/embellishments in order to help drive sales. The MTAC has a very different leather backing than the CBST, and the former's ease of adjusting retention used to be a big selling factor over the CBST's need to heat/reshape the Kydex for that adjustment. From there, Tucker's "The Answer" came in with the lined backing and N82 with a synthetic full-sweatshield that further increased comfort (along with a rather unique retention device incorporated into its plastic shell), and now there's makers offering fancy edge stitching, different colored/designed Kydex shell....everyone's realized that they had to do something "special" to gain a share in this highly competitive genre.

I'm really not seeing what makes "The Ava" gender-specific, when there are other IWB hybrids that are cut just like it, as can be seen from the Google Image search. :?: <--- that's a genuine question.

And in all honesty, given how easily a single-layer of leather can be trimmed, I'd actually be more inclined to purchase a simple, low-cost hybrid holster and trim the backing specifically to suit the unique end-user, and then line it with either Moleskin or orthopedic felt.
'
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

^^If I had to guess, and judging solely from the pictures shown and the few holsters I'm familiar with, it's more that the backing part of it is wider, with the belt clips spaced farther apart and wraps around the hip more. From a google image search, I don't think this is specific to that holster necessarily, but that may be the feature that would make it beneficial for a woman's body. With some of those type of holsters I've tried, the gun has a tendency to ride more perfectly vertical than to ride laying against the skin, and with the hip being curvy, that makes it way obvious that something's there. I'm thinking that maybe the wider cut, with the clips farther apart, and wrapping around the hip more might help it lay better along the curve. This is purely a guess, and even if it's wrong, I may actually look into something cut more that way, now that I see it.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ That makes sense to me, and I now see what you're talking about. Thanks for spelling that out. :)

Yes, as my wife would say, there's a reason why I am not a contestant on Project Runway. :oops: "Did Allen design something out of tires, again? Wait, I think he actually put tires on that model!" :lol: :oops:
kathys

Post by kathys »

TSiWRX wrote:
kathys wrote:The Pin-Up collection from Looper Brand has the Ava. It's a Crossbreed style iwb holster but it's cut differently for a woman's body. I haven't tried it but it looks good and I'm really thinking of getting it.
OK, this is a genuine question - not a challenge. Please don't read into this any more than the true question that's intended. :)

How, specifically, are the Looper Brand Pin-Up Collection IWB holsters "cut for a woman's body?"

"The Betty" seems to be pretty representative of any other hardshell IWB and thus doesn't make any claims to be gender-specific, but I honestly fail to see how "The Ava" is that special.....

http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/the-ava.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They may be cut differently from a CrossBreed SuperTuck or a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC, but there's plenty of different hybrid IWBs out there nowadays, and a simple Google Image search for "hybrid iwb holsters" brings up many that are contoured similarly: https://www.google.com/search?q=hybrid+ ... 66&bih=647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . Additionally, with the surging popularity of hybrid IWBs, those with synthetic backing materials are now very common as well. Because of the competitiveness of the IWB hybrid segment, different makers have started to add their own features/embellishments in order to help drive sales. The MTAC has a very different leather backing than the CBST, and the former's ease of adjusting retention used to be a big selling factor over the CBST's need to heat/reshape the Kydex for that adjustment. From there, Tucker's "The Answer" came in with the lined backing and N82 with a synthetic full-sweatshield that further increased comfort (along with a rather unique retention device incorporated into its plastic shell), and now there's makers offering fancy edge stitching, different colored/designed Kydex shell....everyone's realized that they had to do something "special" to gain a share in this highly competitive genre.

I'm really not seeing what makes "The Ava" gender-specific, when there are other IWB hybrids that are cut just like it, as can be seen from the Google Image search. :?: <--- that's a genuine question.

And in all honesty, given how easily a single-layer of leather can be trimmed, I'd actually be more inclined to purchase a simple, low-cost hybrid holster and trim the backing specifically to suit the unique end-user, and then line it with either Moleskin or orthopedic felt.
'
I'm hoping that it's wider and not longer and cut to lay against the curve of my hip instead of poking into it. I really haven't found a holster that I LOVE yet so I hope this isn't just marketing...but you're right. It might be. I never thought of trimming and modifying the iwb holster I have already. I'm worried I'll just ruin it and then I can't even resell it but I'll have to think about it.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :)

Unfortunately, many of us legal concealed-carriers have a "drawer of defunct holsters...." :lol:

It's a never-ending quest.

It's definitely hard to commit to modifying gear. The same goes for modifying a gun, too - stippling the grip frame of a pistol isn't exactly a reversible process. :P At some point, the end-user will need to decide if the potential payoff is worth the risk.

Best of luck on your quest! :)
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

I am a Remora fan. For several reasons:

It allows me to carry wherever around my waist I want to carry that day - if I am in the car, it's on my left side, cross-draw style as I am right handed and prefer that I not be hindered by a seat belt. If I am on my feet, it's usually somewhere on my right side between 2-5 o'clock position.

I can keep the gun holstered even when it's not on my person. I can lock the entire setup in my car safe when I need to disarm. If I am headed to my brother's house for a swim, it goes holstered into his safe. Then there's the bathroom time, where I can stuff the entire holster under my arm and into my bra when needed.

My daily attire is sturdy pants and a good belt. However, I often secure the Remora with a belly band when a belt is not an option. I carry a 1911, and I don't trust a belly band alone for that....BUT.....the belly band serves the same purpose as a belt when I am in dress-up mode or for the coming summer months when I'm ditching the jeans for lighter fabrics.

Good Luck!!
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

TSiWRX wrote:First, good support gear is essential. If you intend on waist-side carry, a good belt is an absolute must. Being a woman and perhaps having certain dress considerations, this can make things somewhat harder for you, but again, there are some very good old threads here that can help guide you. To get you started, give this one a read: http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... hilit=belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .
Well, aside from the usual "belt machismo" with a strong preference for triple-stitched, Kevlar-reinforced, double-layer bullhide (not to mention a wee, tiny bias toward a specific maker of leather goods :wink: ), there's one point which I will repeat: all holsters carried at the waist - whether a belt holster, a paddle holster, a leather/Kydex hybrid holster, or even a single clip inside-the-waistband holster - must have strong belt support. Younger males have increasingly eschewed belts, and in the absence of carrying a gun, I rarely see women wearing functional (as opposed to decorative) belts. Indeed, I have found that, for women, the requirement of a belt is often a major impediment to them carrying a handgun, even if they already have a concealed handgun license. Nevertheless, it is largely unavoidable.

Just thought I'd share that.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
mommyb246

Post by mommyb246 »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm a fan of the hybrid holsters (leather backing and kydex shell). I use a Crossbreed Supertuck I picked up on their seconds website. Plenty of folks make similar setups, I'm sure some other folks will fill you in on them shortly...

I just want to thank you for mentioning the Crossbreed Seconds website. I had been looking at their Minituck, but spending that much on my first IWB holster had me sitting on the fence. I am happy to say that they had one available for my Sig P238 and in a Left Hand Draw on their seconds site. I guess now I'll just have to wait and see if this one will work.

For all of those who have posted a reply, Thank You! I now have a lot more places to look for what I might need in the way of holsters.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :)

There's *a lot* of good stuff.

Kaluban Cloak/Calculated Sentience maintains a decently comprehensive list: http://www.calsentllc.com/Kydex-Holster-Makers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . It's not all just Kydex pressers, either. There's custom leatherworkers there, too.

There are, however, still a lot of new upstarts that are not listed, and the same also goes for local makes that have yet to "strike it big," like Zlogonje gunleather (right here in NE-Ohio). Nevertheless, the list is a good start.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Werz wrote: Well, aside from the usual "belt machismo" with a strong preference for triple-stitched, Kevlar-reinforced, double-layer bullhide (not to mention a wee, tiny bias toward a specific maker of leather goods :wink: ), there's one point which I will repeat: all holsters carried at the waist - whether a belt holster, a paddle holster, a leather/Kydex hybrid holster, or even a single clip inside-the-waistband holster - must have strong belt support. Younger males have increasingly eschewed belts, and in the absence of carrying a gun, I rarely see women wearing functional (as opposed to decorative) belts. Indeed, I have found that, for women, the requirement of a belt is often a major impediment to them carrying a handgun, even if they already have a concealed handgun license. Nevertheless, it is largely unavoidable.

Part of the reason women don't wear functional belts is that belt loops often aren't big enough for a proper belt. Many are less than an inch in size, which seriously hampers what belt can be used.

Compounded by that is that women's sizes of clothing don't seem to have loops at all, unless it is blue jeans, and then the loops are smaller. Several pairs of my jeans cannot fit one of Ted's fire department belts, and it is rather narrow, by guy standards.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

I am not a great fan of appendix carry. I suppose that's probably more for psychological reasons than for safety--I just don't care to be pointing guns at that area of my body...

However, I know some professional firearms trainers who like this model:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holster ... cr-holster
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Runner_Girl78

Post by Runner_Girl78 »

mommyb246 wrote:
JustaShooter wrote:I'm a fan of the hybrid holsters (leather backing and kydex shell). I use a Crossbreed Supertuck I picked up on their seconds website. Plenty of folks make similar setups, I'm sure some other folks will fill you in on them shortly...

I just want to thank you for mentioning the Crossbreed Seconds website. I had been looking at their Minituck, but spending that much on my first IWB holster had me sitting on the fence. I am happy to say that they had one available for my Sig P238 and in a Left Hand Draw on their seconds site. I guess now I'll just have to wait and see if this one will work.

For all of those who have posted a reply, Thank You! I now have a lot more places to look for what I might need in the way of holsters.
I have the mini tuck and I love it. You will need a somewhat sturdy belt, though. I have a leather belt that I bought at Express or The Limited (don't remember) that holds it up pretty well. So, a gun belt isn't completely necessary, at least not in my experience. I also use a Remora when I wear pants that have no belt loops or have small belt loops. Good luck in your search!
"Guns are our friends because in a country without guns, I'm what's known as "prey." All females are.” -Ann Coulter
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

I use OWB and IWB at different times based on what I feel like, or am wearing. Bianchi Shadow II w/ thumb snap, or MTAC. I like the MTAC best.
The British are going! The British are going!
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

Werz wrote: Well, aside from the usual "belt machismo" with a strong preference for triple-stitched, Kevlar-reinforced, double-layer bullhide (not to mention a wee, tiny bias toward a specific maker of leather goods :wink: ), there's one point which I will repeat: all holsters carried at the waist - whether a belt holster, a paddle holster, a leather/Kydex hybrid holster, or even a single clip inside-the-waistband holster - must have strong belt support. Younger males have increasingly eschewed belts, and in the absence of carrying a gun, I rarely see women wearing functional (as opposed to decorative) belts. Indeed, I have found that, for women, the requirement of a belt is often a major impediment to them carrying a handgun, even if they already have a concealed handgun license. Nevertheless, it is largely unavoidable.

I agree with you on the necessity of a decent belt, but "dude belts" tend to stick out in the back (assuming you can get them through the 2 belt loops most women's jeans offer :x ). I have yet to find a good belt that conforms to a woman's shape - "good" being defined as wide enough and rigid enough to hold up 2-3lbs of gun & ammo without letting it shift around. I wear a "dude belt" anyway, and figure that if my cover garment is good enough for a pistol, it's good enough for a wayward belt. Any leather workers out there... I'm seeing a new market for you if you can find a solution to this dilema.
...learning new things every day!
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

hutsona wrote:I agree with you on the necessity of a decent belt, but "dude belts" tend to stick out in the back (assuming you can get them through the 2 belt loops most women's jeans offer :x ). I have yet to find a good belt that conforms to a woman's shape - "good" being defined as wide enough and rigid enough to hold up 2-3lbs of gun & ammo without letting it shift around. I wear a "dude belt" anyway, and figure that if my cover garment is good enough for a pistol, it's good enough for a wayward belt. Any leather workers out there... I'm seeing a new market for you if you can find a solution to this dilema.
What do you mean by sticking out at the back?
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson