Bra Holster: Thought?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Bra Holster: Thought?

Post by Mustang380gal »

Okay, so I have been in a traffic stop and so has Ted. Both times the officer wanted to take our firearms for "safety". He removed the firearms from the holsters himself; we were not to hand them to him.

I don't really want to have to half-undress, exposing myself to the police, then having a cop put his hands there to take my firearm in a traffic stop.

I don't care if the humiliation would get me out of a ticket. Some things are just not worth it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Mustang380gal wrote:Okay, so I have been in a traffic stop and so has Ted. Both times the officer wanted to take our firearms for "safety". He removed the firearms from the holsters himself; we were not to hand them to him.

I don't really want to have to half-undress, exposing myself to the police, then having a cop put his hands there to take my firearm in a traffic stop.

I don't care if the humiliation would get me out of a ticket. Some things are just not worth it.
If you told the cop that your gun was in a Flashbang holster, I think you might get a different reaction, just as if I told him my gun was in a Thunderwear holster.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Pdave

Post by Pdave »

My wife has one. Her only complaint is that the kydex directly on her skin rubs a bit. We put a piece of moleskin on the back and that took care of the problem. You can not tell it it there no matter how tight the shirt she is wearing. As far as draw speed, I think she can get it out faster than most can draw from a holster on their side.

As others have said, I think an attacker will give pause if she starts to pull up her shirt. But I have told her a better tactic would be to tell the attacker she is going to vomit while she puts her hand under her shirt on her abdomen. No one would suspect anything as it is a natural reaction to hold one's stomache if they are about to get sick. Anyone in their right mind would back away if they think they are going to get vomited on. This would give her the advantage of more distance and distracting the attacker long enough to get a shot off. And like I said earlier, you can draw this thing fast!
lrp3rd

Post by lrp3rd »

I would imagine if there's a lot of emphasis put on the flash part causing WTF moments in a male mind then the bang side should be easy to follow through with. I don't know about you but if a gal flashes me well...
Of course the action would have no effect on a woman perpetrator. However maybe the flash movement could cause knee jerk action on the bad guys part. Shoot first and oogle later!
Scruit

Post by Scruit »

Does to require two hands to draw? Might be a problem if an attacker has grabbed one arm.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

OK. I don't carry this way EDC, but I have tried it. I am not small. I am not what most (men) would consider large. I carry a 1911. I could conceal that gun in a tankini style bathing suit with a bra holster, and no one would know I was armed. I'd just have more....cleavage....when done correctly.

Fella's, there's a reason it's called a "flash"bang. Cause when my hands go toward that area...the BG might be distracted enough that I can draw before he realizes I'm not doing him any favors. He won't even see my muffin top when I lift my shirt. He's expecting the flash - not the bang.

I've been ad advocate and feel repetitive now, but I prefer my Remora secured by a belly band when I carry north of my waist. I can reach in from the top just the same as I can reach up from the bottom of my shirt.

The problem is always knowing where my hands need to go when the adrenaline is pumping. So +1 for carrying in whatever manner is comfortable and efficient for YOU.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Pdave

Post by Pdave »

Scruit wrote:Does to require two hands to draw? Might be a problem if an attacker has grabbed one arm.
You can draw with a single hand. It would be slower with a tight shirt, but can be done easily.

This method of carry would actually increase your chance of retrieving the gun if an attacker has grabbed one arm. If the attacker has control of your strong hand, and you were carrying on the side it would be much more difficult to reach the gun with your weak hand. It would take a little manipulation once you got it out of the holster, but it could be done.
BriKuz

Post by BriKuz »

We won't have to worry about this after next month, but Mrs. Kuz is 8 months preggo, so her bump is getting in the way of the holster. (She said she's going to try to carry her SR-40C in one AFTER our son is born... breastfeeding helps with concealing, for obvious milk-production/endowment reasons. My question for any of the ladies is, what would be her best bet for concealing WHILE she is preggo? Has anyone tried/had any success? (Of course, she may just keep OCing with her Serpa at 3 o'clock)
hutsona

Post by hutsona »

I've seen these before - have heard some women say they like them. I prefer appendix carry for something that small, and ladies have the same advantages there as mentioned for the Flashbang holster. I generally prefer to carry something bigger than a 380 whenever possible, but in any case these look like they are gonna poke where I don't want. Also, I don't care for where the muzzle sweeps when you draw - like an abbreviated cross-draw. My alternative is a tuckable Remora holster - it comes with a clip I can use on the waistband of my running gear 8) No one ever knows...
...learning new things every day!
Psouper

Post by Psouper »

I have a flashbang for my Sig .380...I think it's a great option to have in my holster collection. I am a 34D, average size 12 person, with kids around me. I love knowing that it's secure and up against me and I can get to it easily. No one would ever know it's there. I tried the moleskin on the back but it was soaked with sweat at the end of the day and I peeled it off immediately. As far as discomfort, it's about the same discomfort level as an underwire push-up bra at the end of a long day. Be sure and watch the videos online about flipping the strap....it makes a HUGE difference.
Proud Army Mom
Rotorflyr

Post by Rotorflyr »

MrsFlyr is considering one, but has not yet made up her mind on it.
I've read some women find them extremely comfortable, others don't.
For those that are worried about the concealment aspect (or those who are smaller up front and don't think it would work), have any of you looked at the "Marilyn" version (which puts the gun off to the side more like a shoulder holster)?
MissChris

Post by MissChris »

I have not tried the Marilyn. But one thing I did before ordering my flashbang was to place my gun (unloaded) under my bra like the flashbang would hold it, to see if it was possible for me to carry that way, comfort,concealment etc.
So maybe she should try that first to see if she will like her gun there.
The flashbang is the most comfortable holster I have tried and is my preferred choice to carry. It conceals extremely well, and I have beat my husband on draw and fire drills everytime but once.

There are two negatives I have found. One if you have to draw because of a threat, reholstering is pretty much out of question. Maybe if I practice a lot, I could get it reholstered one handed not looking. But for now I have decided after a draw, the firearm would have to be placed in a pocket.
Second if you ever wanted to accidentally on purpose show your weapon, it's not really possible with the flashbang.
Carrying somewhere on your waist, a scratch to your back or some other slight adjustment of your shirt
can reveal you're armed, with the flash bang that's just not possible.
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

I do want to try one.. I always carried a Glock 19 so it wasn't an option. I did get a shield... Is that small enough to be beneficial with a flashbang?
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
MissChris

Post by MissChris »

They do make them for a shield. That was my first gun of choice, but as soon as they started becoming available again in my area they were recalled =(
Try placing your shield there and see what you think.
The flashbang will have a strap to secure it and hold it tighter against you so it doesnt move. Then the molded holster fits the top part of the gun and protects the trigger.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

MissChris wrote:There are two negatives I have found. One if you have to draw because of a threat, reholstering is pretty much out of question. Maybe if I practice a lot, I could get it reholstered one handed not looking.
There are no extra points for speed reholstering, nor for reholstering without looking. If possible, a wise person always looks the firearm back into its holster.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.