Ashland Lake's 2013 Women on Target - June 29th

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Ashland Lake's 2013 Women on Target - June 29th

Post by dl1911 »

kathys wrote:It was nice meeting you too Dale. I had a GREAT time! I got to shoot skeet and trap, try a little tactical shotgun course and shoot some long range rifles(sorry I don't remember what kind of rifle). It was so much fun. Also got to just shoot a bunch of 22's at steel plates. I didn't do the IDPA but will if I get to go next year. Everything was so great. Even though I have handguns I've never shot a long gun or shot outside of a range before. Everyone there was so friendly and helpful. Thanks to Dale and lots of people like him who volunteer their time and guns to help newbies like me. I just don't have anything negative to say about the entire event except for maybe I wish it was longer and I could have done everything!
Glad to hear you head a great time. Then again, I've never found anyone who didn't have a great time! Since you already have handguns, no reason not to try out IDPA. Newbies are always welcome. Next match is July 13th at 10:30 (I should have a stack of discs with the pictures on them as well). Get there early for a mandatory meeting at 10:30. You can always go to the meeting, watch some people shoot, and then decide to try it out. Demonstrate safe handling and we'll be happy to have you there! You will have to provide everything yourself though. Handgun (.38Special/9mm Luger or larger caliber), strong side hip holster (not a Blackhawk Serpa and that isn't allowed for IDPA there, I prefer BladeTech or Raven), at least 3 magazines or 4 speedloaders and a way to carry them on your belt, 50-100rds of ammo, and a cover garment of some type. Depending on the weather I'll either be wearing the same vest you saw me in yesterday or often just a button down shirt that's long enough to cover the holster and mag carrier. Since it sounds like you don't have any long guns, I think you made some great choices on activites.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

dl1911 wrote:[Next match is July 13th at 10:30
where?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

TunnelRat wrote:
dl1911 wrote:[Next match is July 13th at 10:30
where?
Ashland Lake Gun Club
206 US Rt. 42
West Salem, OH 44287
40.93241 lat.- 82.16762 lon.on your GPS
http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dale
kathys

Post by kathys »

Well I'll definitely check one out. I don't think I'm good enough to participate yet though. Looks like I'm gonna need some more holsters. It sounds like IWB would not be OK? It may take a miracle to find an extra mag for my 9mm to make three though.
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

kathys wrote:Well I'll definitely check one out. I don't think I'm good enough to participate yet though. Looks like I'm gonna need some more holsters. It sounds like IWB would not be OK? It may take a miracle to find an extra mag for my 9mm to make three though.
IWB is fine for IDPA. I've shot a few from an IWB holster and have a friend that only uses them. Granted you'll see a lot of OWB, but depends on what you're there to accomplish. If you're working towards awards at sanctioned matches and such, probably won't be OWB. If you're looking to work on skills you can't accomplish at a more standard range setup while having some fun and a way to measure your progress, no reason not to. Many who aren't into the competition with others but as a way to gauge their progress will shoot what they carry. I usually shoot a 1911 of some sort. While I've shot matches with a full sized government, you'll usually find me shooting a smaller commander sized 1911 since that's what I carry. For something different I'll bring out a revolver (not gonna win any awards with that!) or sometimes a Glock. Magazines aren't that difficult to find if you're willing to pay a little more than you would have a year ago. Walked through Medina show a few weeks ago and saw magazines for just about every common gun made today (1911, Glock, XD, M&P). More difficult might be finding 9mm ammo!

As far as not good enough, a few months ago I took someone out to the monthly IDPA match at Youngstown Rifle & Pistol. I met her when taking some pictures for my CCW instructor to use on his web page. Saw her a month later since she didn't get a chance to shoot any of the variety I brought out with me. IDPA sounded interesting and over a year later she decided it was time to check it out. Youngstown, like Ashland Lake, uses what's called a shotgun start. This let her look at people shooting before having to decide if she wanted to try it herself. Talked her into trying it out and got her setup with a Glock G19. Being IDPA, when she got up to shoot her first stage she had 31rds on her. Stage had a minimum of 12 or so required. She shot all 31 she had on her trying to make sure she hit everything. Second stage was 3 steel plates, a popper and one target. 8 shots minimum. Once again she shot all 31 and a steel plate was still standing. She didn't let it discourage her or make her quit. She did better on the last 2 stages and told me she had fun. Unfortunately she moved out of state a little over a month later and we weren't able to make it back. But I was there at Youngstown the next month and several people asked about her, hoping that she hadn't gotten discouraged and would be back. The point being that as long as you can demonstrate safe handling, following the 4 rules, you're good enough! In addition you get to meet a lot of great people who encourage you and help you improve.

I've managed to get 3 people out to shoot an IDPA match. Every one of them was surprised at how everyone was helpful and supportive. Towards the end of a 6 stage club match, one was getting tired and was limp wristing causing a jam. They SOs saw what was happening and worked with her, explaining what was happening and what to do. On some tough steel on a stage, the SO acted as spotter helping her get that shot. Was at another club where the squaded people and had a first time IDPA shooter that was also new to shooting. Saw the same thing happen with steel with him. Took him about 10rds to hit it, but everyone worked with him to try and see he had a positive experience and a great time.

As long as nothing comes up to prevent me from being there, I'll be at all of the club matches at Ashland Lake this year. Hope to see you there.
Dale
kathys

Post by kathys »

I'm working for this one coming up in July but I going to try to make it to the next one. Thanks for the encouragement.