Pistol Course for CCW

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

HLShenkle74

Pistol Course for CCW

Post by HLShenkle74 »

I went this past weekend to take the basic pistol course that is needed to obtain my CCW and I have to say that I am thankful I did and I wish
I would have done this years ago. I think it was very informative and definitely worth my time.
I see so many courses advertised and I wonder what the difference in each of them are, other than the cost. This instructor stated that the course they teach is from the NRA and is an 11 year old course -- isn't there anything more updated out there other than the instructors knowledge and experience?
I wouldn't mind eventually looking to find an advanced class (on top of just getting to the range and shooting more) but any and all information is helpful.
Just thought I would put that out there....stay warm!!! :D
brian0918

Re: Pistol Course for CCW

Post by brian0918 »

Who did you take the course through? My girlfriend would like to eventually get her CHL and is interested in taking an intro course first.
HLShenkle74

Post by HLShenkle74 »

I took it out in Wadsworth through Roger Polk & his team. I was referred to him by various friends & acquantiances and felt comfortable making the choice to
attend his class. I can send you the info privately when I get home if you'd like.
You can actually go with her and sit in on the class, there were a few couples that did that.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The Ohio-CHL course material is constructed very loosely, and the instructor/school can vary the actual coursework by a lot, and yet still easily fulfill what is in the letter of the law.

As to the variability in cost, that often has more to do with the volume of students they can process, as well as their local competition.

You'd do much better to keep up on updates to the law and other intricacies (i.e. social attitudes, hot issues, etc.) of Ohio-CHL by reading/participating in a Forum community like this one - it's very hard for a structured curriculum to be able to advance so rapidly, and for any one instructor or even set of instructors to always be up-to-date (or to be "fact-checked" with peer discussion).

:)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio