CCW/guns for ladies

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Starshine, in years past S&W made what were called "Ladysmith" model revolvers, in both J-frame (5 shot) .38 special, and k-frame (6 shot) .38 special/.357 magnum versions. One nice feature was a somewhat reduced double action trigger pull, it was most noticeable in the K-frame model, which as memory serves is a 3" bbl. Model 65 LS.

A good revolver-tuner can do the same with any wheelgun, by the way, without making it so light that the gun won't go off. Makes a big difference in an extended practice session. Ergo, you'll shoot more while at the range, which is always a good thing.

In small autopistols, Kahr has offered an "Elite trigger" option on some models. Apparently the K-9 I own is so equipped. We measured the double action pull at just under 7 lbs., and this does make the gun more user-friendly.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

Brian D. wrote:In small autopistols, Kahr has offered an "Elite trigger" option on some models. Apparently the K-9 I own is so equipped. We measured the double action pull at just under 7 lbs., and this does make the gun more user-friendly.
Hmm, can you measure the pull strength with commonly available tools? I'm quite curious about a few of ours :)
Where's the best place to apply for your CHL?
Find out at http://ccwhen.com!
The world is cold, but, bold men take action.
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Linda
haha I know ur right. That's why I said it. Was hoping to get a few female feathers ruffled cause the wife said I would.
Thanks for coming back cause now Momma will give me the beetin I deserve.(This is gonna be fun) :lol: :D
But all in all I really respect a woman who knows her weapon and can handle it as well. My daughter loves the ,45 and will use nothng else.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
Buckshot

Re: Yes, Big guns are easier to shoot...

Post by Buckshot »

Starshine wrote:...but harder to conceal.

So, my take is, bring as much variety as possible to CHL training classes, no matter whether it is men or women you're teaching. It's very helpful to handle a variety of weapons as you wrestle with the question of packing light and still having something that you can reliably shoot!

My problem is not small hands. It is weak fingers! I can't handle an 8- or 10-lb trigger pull, and my fingers are so long that the problem gets worse as the pistol gets smaller.

So...I dunno, I guess my perfect weapon for concealment will be something with a short barrel, but a standard sized grip and a light trigger pull.

I've done very well shooting a smallish Glock with a light trigger pull, but I hope to find a revolver with a similar action--I'd prefer not to have shell casings bouncing all over the place. I find that very distracting. I have yet to find "the one." I wonder if such a beast exists?

Well, enough rambling for one day.

Sara.
Sara,

Revolvers have one very endearing quality.

If you can find a trigger pul and size you like, you can ALWAYS find a pair of grips to work, even if you have to have a custom set made by Herret's!

Buckshot
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Buckshot wrote:Sara,

If you can find a trigger pul and size you like, you can ALWAYS find a pair of grips to work, even if you have to have a custom set made by Herret's!

Buckshot
Alright - I have to weigh in here...

I had a woman whose trigger finger would not reach the trigger when gripping the gun properly! I was stunned. The gun was a S&W LadySmith (or whatever) 5 shot DAO revolver.

Any ideas?

BB62
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Linda

Post by Linda »

Jronjakoh wrote:Linda
haha I know ur right. That's why I said it. Was hoping to get a few female feathers ruffled cause the wife said I would.
Thanks for coming back cause now Momma will give me the beetin I deserve.(This is gonna be fun) :lol: :D
But all in all I really respect a woman who knows her weapon and can handle it as well. My daughter loves the ,45 and will use nothng else.
I knew you were just harrassing! But, it does sound that you really are in to the S&M with the wife! :shock: Was it as good for you as it was for her :?:

Thank you for the respect in regard to my firearm. Yes, I think I could hold my own! 8) And I'm with your daughter on this one.
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

As to the Lady that has trouble, reaching the trigger, on a J frame.
I have small hands for a guy, so I just did a grip test on a Taurus 905, (J frame 9mm), & found I was just barely getting on the trigger.
But then I picked up an Astra A70 (SA Semi) & was able to get more finger on the trigger, & found the same results with one of the Browning HP,s that have the slimmer grips.
I have also had some other lady's with the same problem (One girl was about 4'8") tried a wheel gun didn't like it couldn't reach the trigger, bought walther 22, then next thing she called & had bought a Sig single stack model # eludes me.
So I guess I'm suggesting they look at semi autos
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MD - Thanks for the suggestion - I should have been more clear: I am very reluctant to suggest a semi auto to a (in this case) novice shooter, in favor of a revolver.

Heck, even for more experienced shooters, I cannot emphasize enough that they MUST be ready, willing and able to deal with jams or misfires. I prefer a semi-auto, but there's that voice in the back of my mind...

BB62
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

MySQLQuery wrote:
Brian D. wrote:In small autopistols, Kahr has offered an "Elite trigger" option on some models. Apparently the K-9 I own is so equipped. We measured the double action pull at just under 7 lbs., and this does make the gun more user-friendly.
Hmm, can you measure the pull strength with commonly available tools? I'm quite curious about a few of ours :)
Well, we were using a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge that day. Guess it's a matter of opinion whether or not such gizmos are "commonly available tools". :wink:

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BB62 wrote:
Buckshot wrote:Sara,

Buckshot
Alright - I have to weigh in here...

I had a woman whose trigger finger would not reach the trigger when gripping the gun properly! I was stunned. The gun was a S&W LadySmith (or whatever) 5 shot DAO revolver.

Any ideas?

BB62
Well, if the reach to the trigger on a J-frame revolver is too much for someone, options become pretty limited. I'd have to agree with the others here that suggested autopistols. (The only other "solution" would be to go to a single action revolver, or shoot the LadySmith in single action mode. Neither of those ideas are very practical in my opinion, for a variety of reasons.)

Hopefully if forced to choose a semi auto for such a small-handed person, a very reliable one will be selected, and then the user will have to be dedicated to learning its proper operation, including dealing with malfunctions.

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

BB62 wrote:[Alright - I have to weigh in here...

Any ideas?

BB62
BB62,

The question I was actually responding to was basically a request for BIG grips on a small revovler. VERY EASY to do.

On the other hand, lets look at what you are talking about.

What kind of grips did it have on it? 5 shot DAO S&W puts it somwhere in the Centennial series (640, 642 etc.).

They usually come with either Uncle Mikes Combat Grip (three finger grooves, covered back strap) or Uncle Mikes Boot Grip (two finger grooves, exposed back strap). They may come with the slightly bigger wood combat or boot grips also. I think the LadySmith versions do just so that they look "fancier" though I think I remember some early LadySmith models coming with faux ivory Magna grips.

With the exposed back strap the Boot grips are smaller than the Combat Grips.

Then there are the old wood Magna grips that used to come on the J Frames and Barami Hip-grips which are a cheaper and more easily obtained version now.

If their hands are too small to reach the DA trigger of a J-frame rigged this way then about the only option left is a single action revolver for the small grip and short trigger pull!

Buckshot
MR D

Post by MR D »

Heck, even for more experienced shooters, I cannot emphasize enough that they MUST be ready, willing and able to deal with jams or misfires. I prefer a semi-auto, but there's that voice in the back of my mind...

BB62[/quote]

check out the new Taurus 24/7 PRO can be had in 9, .40, or .45 and they allow for a second (double action) trigger pullon an other wise Single action pistol when the gun fails to fire.... clearing jams are just a fact of life and when I used to teach in the military we didn't have a choice, we all learned on 1911's (and then they would ship us somewhere and issues us revolvers)

:o

:D I just picked one up at a new store here in Shelby County (yesterday).

My wife is small too and she fires everything... no hesitation (she is a better shot than I am too) :oops:
"I'd rather be tried by a jury of my peers, than carried by six of my friends..."