6 years old too young for a BB gun?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WestonDon
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: 6 years old too young for a BB gum?

Post by WestonDon »

Ah! This brings back memories. I had a Red Ryder when I was about 4 or 5. Dad kept the magazine locked up for a while along with the real guns unless he was supervising me. I also shot a .22 revolver ocasionally but thinking back I am sure there was another hand besides mine on it. The only mishap I ever had with the Red Ryder was when I failed to bring the lever closed and fired it. OUCH!
I believe in American exceptianalism
Fear the government that fears your guns
NRA endowment life member
adicke7092

Re: 6 years old too young for a BB gun?

Post by adicke7092 »

We have 4 year old twins (boy/girl) who have and shoot a Crossman M4-17 with a red dot and do so fairly well. Their 2 year old sister has even shot it. ALWAYS UNDER ADULT SUPERVISION! They've also shot 22s and other various guns. I think it depends on the child, but the sooner they can learn to respect, handle, and appreciate guns, the better in my book.
Klingon00

Re: 6 years old too young . . .

Post by Klingon00 »

SMMAssociates wrote: Finally, at some point, blow up some water jugs for them. (Or even let them do it if they're old enough to handle a .38 or bigger.) The kids need to see that you can make a heck of a mess out of somebody/something with a real gun. (Not that .22's aren't real, but other than hitting people or small animals, are more noisemakers from the kid's standpoint.)
I still remember quite vividly at cub scout camp, we were being taught the basics of shooting a .22 and at the end of the day, the kid with the highest score got to shoot a water filled milk jug for everyone to see. The instructor told us to think of what happened to the jug in terms of what can happen to people if we misuse the firearms. That image has stuck with me to this day and was a very powerful visual aid.
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

I used to goose hunt with a guy and one day he brought his nephew, Joe who was about 13 or 14. His dad didn't really get into guns, and so Joe wasn't really familiar with firearms. So we go, we set up, we lecture about keep the gun down range. He didn't get it. The kid muzzle swept his uncle with a 12 gauge. Real bad. We packed up and went home, immediately. When we got there, we (my buddy and I) built a snowman in his yard. We hid a 2 liter of red pop in the snowman. We had Joe shoot the snowman. The HUGE gaping hole was a powerful enough image. The red stain in the snow was absolutely unforgetable. Joe understood the power of a shotgun after that, I think.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

So, after much discussion, and memorization of the four rules, my daughter got her BB gun. A pink Daisy carbine. She's not half bad with it, either. We probably shot 200 bbs today. She's very proud of the fact that she can cock it herself. For a target, I gave her a 100 yard rifle target on an old election sign. She can get on the paper from 15-20 feet back, and she's pretty proud of that. So, there is plenty of room to learn.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from it's government." - Thomas Paine
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

I remember being taught at the age of 5... and even before that.. My father "left out" a 22 revolver with the hammer filed down so it could not fire.. just to watch and see how we acted around one and how well we listened to his warnings. The older I get, the more I grow to respect my father and how he chose to raise me. God Bless.
Life without music is a mistake.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

The "other" 4 rules for kids are those from the Eddie Eagle program:

If you find a gun...

#1 Stop!
#2 Don't Touch!
#3 Leave the Area!
#4 Tell an Adult!

This is how to prepare your child for when you are NOT with them to provide supervision.

Teach them young. Teach them well.
MyWifeSaidYes
Jakor

Post by Jakor »

We started months ago with Eddy the Eagle. She can sing the song. Lol. She's a smart little chica and he aim is improving. I fear for the local squirrels. Lol
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
diamond12

Post by diamond12 »

Yes, that is way too young. Remember "You'll shoot your eye out"? True story.