How do I get my wife to the range with me more

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

First off, "like" is a relative term... she might "like" it as in "not hate" but NOT "like" as in "want to do regularly."

Next- she may have more of an interest in a different branch of the firearms spectrum. For instance, I am an avid hunter and shotgun enthusiast, have been for years. My boyfriend is a rifleshooter. He can plink at paper for hours on end, while I don't see any challenge- once I can hit the kill zone consistently, who cares if all the shots are in one hole? I'd rather be busting clays or pheasants.

Thirdly- she may just not be enthused. My mom shoots- at least, she is capable of doing so and has had fun doing so on occasion... but she doesn't just go out and shoot. She needs to be invited along when someone else is going. When she and dad were younger, they shot more often together, now mom is just as happy to sit and watch.

Just because she isn't enthusiastic and trying to convince YOU to get out to the range all the time doesn't mean there is anything wrong... we all have our interests and some are more passionate about certain ones than others. Just count yourself lucky that she isn't an anti. :) Try sitting down with her and TALKING and ASKING her why she doesn't go out shooting more if she does enjoy shooting... though she may also be trying not to dampen YOUR enthusiasm.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I went to Lauhorner's in Springfield today. Very nice and very friendly. They offer a 2 for 0ne lane fee on the weekend from 5 to 8. I think I'll take the wife and give it a try. She is just really shy to go to shoot at anyplace that has people around watching, it turns out. Turns out she still really likes to shoot, it's just the crowd thing that has kept her away the last 15 or so years since I have not belonged to an outdoor club we can go to when others are not there.
"I think the public has an expectation that we can make the world a safer place in which to live through laws and technology. "
Steve Rollins 10 year SAR veteran on Mt. Hood
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

Willy P wrote:I went to Lauhorner's in Springfield today. Very nice and very friendly. They offer a 2 for 0ne lane fee on the weekend from 5 to 8. I think I'll take the wife and give it a try. She is just really shy to go to shoot at anyplace that has people around watching, it turns out. Turns out she still really likes to shoot, it's just the crowd thing that has kept her away the last 15 or so years since I have not belonged to an outdoor club we can go to when others are not there.
Good to hear! :D Have fun!
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Mustang380gal
Wish I could get a way to meet you at the range and bring my wife with me.(probably would have to drag her in) May be just what I need to convince there is nothing wrong with shooting guns.
Seeing another woman enjoy the sport and getting involved could be the ticket. I'm not even lucky enough to get her to go to our club.
She really has no interest other than just being Gramma to the grankids and sees NOTHING in my owning and shooting guns.

I think when the women get together doing anything in particular that helps to lead other women to get interested in the same.
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

Jronjakoh wrote: Seeing another woman enjoy the sport and getting involved could be the ticket....
I think when the women get together doing anything in particular that helps to lead other women to get interested in the same.
You may be able to get her involved with the "Becoming an Outdoors Woman" or "Women in the Outdoors" programs.

Helpful sites:
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

My wife has absolutly fallen in love with shooting, we went to blackwing in delaware and she picked out a rental, (S&W Model 60 3" Barrel) and she had a blast. Now she wants to get involved in competition so we are going to do some bowling pin shoots to get started. at first she was totally against firearms because of her brother (Extreme Left Winger) but now that she has experienced it, she had a change of heart. She even told her brother to get educated before forming opinions about it. That was a proud moment for me.
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
foxbody88stang

Post by foxbody88stang »

Just tell her their are so many hottys, she better go to make sure you dont leave with one of them. :lol:
Vic
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

ParaC7 wrote:My wife has absolutly fallen in love with shooting, we went to blackwing in delaware and she picked out a rental, (S&W Model 60 3" Barrel) and she had a blast. Now she wants to get involved in competition so we are going to do some bowling pin shoots to get started. at first she was totally against firearms because of her brother (Extreme Left Winger) but now that she has experienced it, she had a change of heart. She even told her brother to get educated before forming opinions about it. That was a proud moment for me.
ParaC7,

Great that your wife is interested.

Please be VERY CAREFULL about the pin shooting.

We used to have pin shoots at our club. It got to the point that no one would work the pin matches, too many bounce backs from the pins.

It got to the point that only SWC or WC lead bullets or "pin grabber" jacketed bullets were allowed to be used. This helped some, but still had so many bounce backs that we just cancelled the shoots.

The pins were so nasty after the shoot (VERY dangerous hard splinters) that we eventually banned them completely from the range, not allowed on the property.

To shoot pins now out our range, they have to be hinged steel pins!

Buckshot
ParaC7

Post by ParaC7 »

Thank you for the info, we have yet to try the pins and i dont think im going to do it now. Thanks again
Gun Control means using both hands and hitting your target.

You want my guns Hillary???? SURE you can have them..................Bullets First!!!

Charlton Heston always was and always will be MY President!!!!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: success story

Post by Mr. Glock »

CMiddleton wrote:So my question to you all is: Now that I know she enjoys it, should I throw her Hi Point away and get her a glock? Will she enjoy it more after getting a real gun? Or will it just sit around?
That's easy...go get a Glock 26. Even if it sits around, you have done your part to arm her with a good, reliable, dependable weapon (XD, M&P...whatever, just not a Hi-Point).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Is it just me? Or, does someone else also sense an OFCC opportunity here..A little gathering at a private outdoor range, managed by someone skilled in training like Mad Duck, for OFCC couple's shooting with a little newbie training thrown in?

Might be best if the men shot with men and women shot with women.....I know how husbands/wives interact:)..at least in the beginning.

Maybe a picnic before/afterwards, for socializing...that way everyone would be more comfortable with each other (I'm thinking on the newbie side, esp) I'd toss out a couple bucks for that oppostunity.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Mr. Glock,

A couple of ways that could be made to work.

I might suggest that that it be done on a regional basis.

I am sure that there are enough instructors here that know other instructors in their areas that could make this happen.

I am an instructor and know some others in this area. Mad Duck is both an instructor and a training counselor and knows lots of other instructors.

I could easily see setting this up in 6 or 8 locations around the state rather than just one or two. Closer to every one, so less expensive gas used and more ammo to shoot.

Buckshot
standerson

Post by standerson »

I'm lucky, my wife enjoys shooting. Now.

It took me 16 years to get her interested in it.
It was a s l o w process but a successful one.

She has her CHL and three handguns she has picked out herself.

She has talked to other women and have gotten them interested in the sport. She is very Pro 2A.

We shoot at Lauhorners in Springfield and recently bought a yearly pass to the Spring Valley Range.

She even bought me an AR for Father's Day.

Yea, I know I'm lucky.

Good luck on getting your wife to the range. Let us know if we can help
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Buckshot:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that only Mad Duck could instruct it..I was just thinking off the cuff. I think your ideas have great merit...what does everyone else think? Women?
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Mr. Glock wrote:Buckshot:

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that only Mad Duck could instruct it..I was just thinking off the cuff. I think your ideas have great merit...what does everyone else think? Women?
Mr Glock,

Wasn't knocking your idea or anything to do with Mad Duck. I have taken training there and most likely will again.

I was just thinking more of keeping it closer to home. Gas has dropped a little again, a few places are below $3.00 a gallon again, but it is still dear and I (and most people) would rather drive a half hour to an hour than three to four hours.

Where I am now, in Lima, I is just over an hour each to Toledo, Dayton or Ft. Wayne and an hour and a half or a little more to Columbus. It can get rather annoying at times with that kind of trip just to get there and get started, especially with a a 7:00 AM or 8:00 AM start time!

Buckshot