How do I get my wife to the range with me more

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Willy P

How do I get my wife to the range with me more

Post by Willy P »

I know the title says it all but I would like to add that my wife really likes to shoot but she just never seems like she wants to go with me nor will she ask to go to the range. I will say that I don't boss her or act like it is a man thing when we go. 20 some years ago I bought her her own 38 special that she admits she likes to shoot and I would be tickled to death to get her a much better revolver or pistol if she acted more like I should, matter of fact I just traded off a PPK/S I thought she would like that turned out she hated and was too hard for her to chamber the first round in. Can I get some insight on this from someone that understands what she thinks?? Honest I really need some help here! Please.
Willy P.
Joey

How to get your gal to the range with you...

Post by Joey »

I don't know a woman anywhere that would turn down an offer of dinner out..suggest a "night out"..go do some shooting and then have a nice dinner somewhere. It's about the time together..make it a standing date..even if it's once a month.

I can't answer why your wife isn't interested in going to the range more often, but it probably has something to do with other priorities or it just isn't as fun for her as it is you. But..if you make it part of a date..maybe that will change. As far as the PPK/S.. I'm with your wife.. first, ouch and then, why work so hard?? It's not something I have found easy to use or shoot.

You might also suggest that your wife organize a ladies night out..let her offer to introduce some of her gal friends to the fun of shooting.
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

Thanks, I'm going to keep all that in mind. I'm headed for some serious spine surgery so it will be a while before I'm up for a night out or allowed to shoot anything. The doc says 3 months in a neck brace and no rifles or shotguns for around a year. :shock: I'm in a mule deer draw for WY so I may cheat with a light handgun or just take a camera if I get a tag but no rifle. Anyway thanks for the insight.
CMiddleton

success story

Post by CMiddleton »

I took my gf out for a night of dinner and shooting. We went to Macaroni Grill in Tri County, then to Target World. She had a blast.

I think the one on one at the range was good time. But I know other venues make her uncomfortable, like the Gun Show. If I were a woman, and surrounded by 500 camoflauge wearing men, with 9 out of 10 wearing ballcaps, I would likely feel out of my environment too.

I think she enjoys shooting, but she doesn't crave going to shoot like I do. I often think she only shoots to humor me. We did take our concealed carry class together, and she enjoyed it.

So my question to you all is: Now that I know she enjoys it, should I throw her Hi Point away and get her a glock? Will she enjoy it more after getting a real gun? Or will it just sit around?

I like to know that she is armed and knows how to shoot, especially because I work the graveyard shift.
Josie115

suggest a shopping trip together

Post by Josie115 »

She may like to shoot a little..she might like to get out and spend some time with you alot..I happen to like gun shows so I can't comment there but if you want her to own something bigger, she may not be on the same page about that. Concern for her safety is the right approach..suggest a bit of shopping and lunch or something. The point is, I think it needs to be her idea and it needs to be her choice on what might be the right "real" gun for her. Good for you though for spending time together and wanting her to know you want her safe.
Joey
Kacer

Post by Kacer »

Another "strategy" might be to "bargain".... IOW, "I'll go to the ballet w/you, if you go to the range w/me" (Her interests might be different... I'm just thinking of things guys TEND to "gripe" about if asked to do.... :lol: )

Of course if you SUSPECT she really LIKES the range... try to "bargain" w/something you TOO actually "like" but just don't do very often... :mrgreen:
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

I spent time with my girl, teaching her the safe & proper way to do it.
Took her out with a 22, & she was hooked.
In less than 3 yrs she became a life member of the NRA, an Instructor, & CHL holder.
Her health has kept her off the range, but she is getting better, & will soon be active again.
Also let them pick their own guns, she now has several, but she has picked her own.
garyv311

Post by garyv311 »

I was able to get my girlfriend to go to the range with me, simply by saying, "Well, this is what I do (go to Stonewall). And I would really like it if we could enjoy this together. This way I get two of the things I like the best, done at the same time". Try it. I think it would work well in your situation.
~ The Golgothan
Kowboy
Account Deactivated

Post by Kowboy »

My favorite range in S. E. Michigan would be much more likely to get my and my wife's business if they restricted the smoking to a designated area. I'll suffer through my clothes stinking to gaze at a few guns in the case, but she won't. She can't. It makes her sick.

This is just a poor business dicision.
charles1198

Post by charles1198 »

My wife won't even LOOK at guns...I'm sure she gets that from her mother, who is a liberal. :? She does not like that I have them, and would prefer that I didn't...I tell her I don't like a particular brand of baskets that she collects. When she mentions that the guns are expensive and she only gets baskets as gifts, I mention that I'd welcome some guns as gifts, and shooting is a lot less expensive that a "traditional" hobby like golf, which takes her dad out of the family at least half of every weekend, all year round.

At least you wife is familiar with guns and will sometimes shoot with you. Is there something in particular she does not like about shooting -- the range atmosphere, the noise, feeling awkward, etc? Perhaps that might be a way to approach it.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

For me...

Post by Mustang380gal »

I am uncomfortable shooting around men, other than my husband. I felt awkward at my CCW class, even though I know the men were occupied with their own shooting.

The first time I went shooting was outside, with just my husband and one of his friends. I enjoyed it a lot.

Could shooting in front of men be her problem? Maybe you could either find a time when the range is less busy, or find a place to shoot outside, just you and her.

We have a spot behind our house that my husband can set up a target with a good backstop, and he and I go out together, making sure the children stay in the house. But we live out in the country, where this is not a problem.

For the record, I have gone to gun shows, too. He took me to one on Valentine's Day! There I was, dressed in a skirt to go out to eat, and I'm walking around with all these guys either in biker leather, or camo. That was a very interesting experience. I'd have been really nervous if I didn't think that shooters are some of the nicest people.

Linda
CurtInOhio

Post by CurtInOhio »

Monday, a group of friends, my wife and I went to Target World when they opened. My wife enjoyed it, but one of the other women was really excited about going and had a great time. Afterwards, we made a day of it by going (and meeting more friends) at Pappadeaux (REALLY glad to have one of these local now!). Not everyone in the group wanted to shoot, so it allowed those that did to do that first... and having fun with it may interest more to go next time. Kind of a different activity for a church small group to do, but we had a blast.

Mad Duck... my wife still wants to come out and try out guns... they didn't have much to rent at TW... but she tried a revolver and decidedly did NOT like it compared to a semiauto... She said something about needing to make a date to go to your place again... I think we need to time it with some more training, too!
Curt M
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Curt you guys are always welcome, just let me know what works for you.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Mad Duck,

Once I get back on my feet, if we can put it together sometime I will come down with a different set of firearms to offset yours.

Some wheelies with speedloaders and some different semis.

Not too far to do a half day trip a couple of times a year.

Buckshot
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

I'm sure we can do something, when you are ready
Glad the leg is getting better