Fuming over incident with my son

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Fuming over incident with my son

Post by TSiWRX »

Tweed Ring wrote:Wen I was a kid, my Dad kept two loaded revolvers in the house. Since, as a kid, I was inquisitive, nosy, and a climber - once a year, he would unload both guns, and give me a chance to pull the triggers. Once I reached the point in my young life, when I had the hand/finger strength to pull the trigger with both hands, the guns literally disappeared.
:) I've devised my own tests for my daughter, too. And yes, just as your dad, parts of my "SOP," if it can be called that, were tailored around what I knew of my daughter's physical and mental capabilities.
brian0918 wrote:At the very least, always make sure that your handguns have nothing in the chamber. Toddlers shouldn't be able to rack the slide, though that's not necessarily a guarantee that they're safe.
^ One thing I like to remind parents of is that not every situation can be foreseen. The empty-chamber idea is not a bad one, but remember that a slide doesn't necessarily have to be cycled "by hand." The toddler/child can simply have a hold on the gun while falling, catching the rear sight or even the ejection port on something that offered enough resistance to cycle the slide as he/she fell forward. Look at how we chamber a round with one hand - same idea. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

When I got my CHL in 07 my daughter was a toddler. I would never have considered a baby gate a sufficient barrier. My firearms are under my control or they are locked up. If I leave home without a firearm they are locked up. All of them, every time. When I come home, they resume their purpose under my control.

This summer my daughter had some archery instruction. Shooting firearms will come soon enough.

The British are going! The British are going!
Ladybug26

Post by Ladybug26 »

Update: he doesn't want to own up to his mistake. The gun didn't have a round in the chamber, so it was no big deal. I still disagree. To the person who said I am at fault too for moving the gate without checking the room, I suppose I should have double checked. I just never thought I would even be having this discussion with my husband. A night stand is just a bad place to leave a gun. I just want him to know how serious it could have been.
Loving wife, Mother of 2 boys, NOT a victim!!
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Sheesh!!!!

I live alone and ALL my firearms are either locked up (in a safe or bedside gunvault bolted to the floor)or on my person.

I have a young niece and friends with kids who might stop by. I could not fathom leaving a firearm "up out of reach" or "hidden".
Sorry, but some of you wouldn't want me on a civil jury if a little one was hurt by a 'hidden' or 'out of reach' firearm.
C'mon! We're all going to die, die standing up!
SC-JG

Post by SC-JG »

Ladybug26 wrote:Update: he doesn't want to own up to his mistake. The gun didn't have a round in the chamber, so it was no big deal. I still disagree.
I've been married for 27 years, and here's a little tip: When dear hubby does something that must be addressed, it's best to present it in such a way that doesn't put him on the defense. Sort of put yourself in his shoes. Remember that we all make mistakes. Admit your culpability to him in this situation as well. Even though there shouldn't be guns lying around for the child to grab, you are responsible to make sure that there are no hazards within his reach whenever you are watching over the child. He is correct in that this time, there was not a round in the chamber, and the child was unharmed. Acknowledge that point as well. However, with guns, redundancy in safety is THE RULE to follow, especially with children. Try to gt him to agree to that fact.

* Rather than trying to lay blame, suggest that you both come to an agreement about what system you will both use for securing guns safely in the future. After all, what is really important is the prevention of any bad outcome, and this incident is a blessing in that regard. It was a "no harm done" wake up call. I hope that you both can answer it.
...peace out
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

I'm in a bit of a different situation because I don't have children at my home on a regular basis, but I think the same concepts apply. You have to have knowledge and confidence that all of your firearms are secured at all times.

1. In a locked and secured safe of good quality (no cheapy safes, imo)

2. Holstered on your person

3. In a holster within arms reach

I only mention #3 because I have taken my gun off at night when I'm in for the evening but I still am not going to be unarmed. I leave the gun in the holster on the little table beside my recliner, or on the computer desk while I'm at the computer. If it's not in a safe or on my person, then it's in plain sight where I still have control over it. Of course option #3 also means being extra vigilant. If you have it on a table beside you and you are in a recliner watching TV, don't get up to go to the bathroom and leave it sit there. Pick it up and take it with you. If you won't do that then just lock it up or put it back on your hip.

Children or not, things happen. I trust most adults less than I do most of the children I know with firearms, so I don't treat them any differently when it comes to securing firearms.

Chamber loaded or not, what happened is indicative of a state of mind about firearms that, in my opinion, needs some serious thinking about...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
diamond12

Post by diamond12 »

Definitely discuss with your husband. Don't worry- your child is safe. But I would show my deep concern and tell him to not let it happen again.
BobK

Post by BobK »

diamond12 wrote:Definitely discuss with your husband. Don't worry- your child is safe. But I would show my deep concern and tell him to not let it happen again.
Diamond, welcome to the forums, but do you realize it is generally considered bad form to "necro-post" a bunch of old message threads?

For example, the original post in the thread hasn't visited these forums since last September.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

BobK wrote:
diamond12 wrote:Definitely discuss with your husband. Don't worry- your child is safe. But I would show my deep concern and tell him to not let it happen again.
Diamond, welcome to the forums, but do you realize it is generally considered bad form to "necro-post" a bunch of old message threads?

For example, the original post in the thread hasn't visited these forums since last September.
She's a felon and is getting ready for the klink. I don't think she cares.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
diamond12

Post by diamond12 »

I dodn't read the dates I am just seeing what people are up to. lol.. why don't you mind your business and let me surf the net the way I choose..

Please read my post here - NavyChief:
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p4193350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BobK

Post by BobK »

diamond12 wrote:I dodn't read the dates I am just seeing what people are up to. lol.. why don't you mind your business and let me surf the net the way I choose..
You can surf all you want. When you make irritating posts, then it does become our business.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Ladybug26 wrote:Update: he doesn't want to own up to his mistake. The gun didn't have a round in the chamber, so it was no big deal. I still disagree.
As you should:
All guns are always loaded.

-- Jeff Cooper, Rule 1
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bobk...He does have 24 posts...So he is allowed to tell someone with 12000 posts to mind his own business....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
QuackXP

Post by QuackXP »

jabeatty wrote:
Ladybug26 wrote:How would you handle this?
Sounds like your 19-month-old is due for an Eddie Eagle-style training session.
Sevens wrote:It's horribly obvious that your husband failed miserably, just horribly -- and as a married person, good luck with how you reconcile THAT.
Initial training for your 19 month old may be in order. But definitely some (re)training of your husband is in order.

We don't currently have kids so I either have my firearm on my person, near my person in a holster and in a case, or secured. If anyone other than myself or my fiance is over regardless of age my options are on my person or secured. Once we have kids I will stop leaving holstered and cassed firearm only near me. It will be eitehr on m person or secured.

When I leave the property for any reason all firearms are either on my person or secured.

Secured for me is either stored in an appropriate locked container unloaded or loaded in a holster, unloaded and with a locking device that prevents the firearm from being loaded or the action operated, or removing a critical portion of the firearm that will render it completely inoperable and securing that part in a suitable locking container.
Diligentia Vis Celeritas