My shooting range pet peeves

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

bearkitty

Re: My shooting range pet peeves

Post by bearkitty »

captainstormy wrote:
bearkitty wrote: Gear: The "hot brass dance" is not something you'll see on DWTS. Yet, most women have done it at least once. Come to the range in a sexy low cut tank top, daisy dukes, and flip flops - you WILL be dancing. Eyes & Ears? Definitely. Something that covers your chest, arms, and feet? Highly recommended. I also recommend a hat. Burned hair and skin is not attractive. Going out later? Just bring a change of clothes.
I tried to tell my then girl friend to wear a different top when she went to the range with me the first time. She didn't listen. She wanted to wear something sexy and low cut because we were gonna grab some lunch first.

She hasn't worn anything like that to the range again.
MOST of us gals learned that lesson the hard way! I used to joke that I needed to invent a brass collection device to wear around my neck. Of course, nothing would land there if I did.......
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
curmudgeon3

Post by curmudgeon3 »

bearkitty wrote:
That sounds like a great resource, what range allows the kids' scavenger hunts ?
It's an outdoor range I frequent in Northern KY. Shortly after the range goes cold for the last time, the kids grab some plastic bags and coffee cans and start collecting the brass. The regulars in the group that do reloads have taught, at least my kids, to sort it for them. My 12 year old is the 'official' steel plate spray painter, and .45 casing collector there, lol.
:D Great coordinated group ya' got there; you referred to "the floor" in your previous post, so I assumed indoor range.
bearkitty

Post by bearkitty »

Yeah, I was commenting on both clearing the floor at the indoor range.....and how it gets done outdoors :)

My indoor range people tell me they just sweep it into 55 gallon drums every night. Eventually, the owner sells it to a recycler. Collect what you can if you want it for reloads.
"Awesome" is code word for CC in my house. Cuts down on the kids asking, loudly, in public, if I am in possession of anything that goes bang.
Sky Pilot

Post by Sky Pilot »

The OP's posts are valid and accurate.
I'll +1 to the Hot Brass Dance, and have seen it a number of times with Cowboy Action Shooters.
Period attire is part and parcel of the fun (it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!) and ladies often dress like saloon tarts ... unfortunately there's this natural funnel that ... ummm ... well, such on-line discussion boards as the SASS Wire and Belle Alley have featured the Hot Brass Dance, and not just because of sizzling brass spinning in between the Grand Tetons ... a fired round flipped out of a '73 Winchester ... the (male) shooter was doing without his hat for this stage ... and somehow, he's not sure how, the round fell in behind his shooting glasses.
He has a burn scar under his eye to this day, and no it wasn't me, my scar is from being bonked with the set-screw of a scythe when I cat footed up behind dear old Dad as a four year old, and intercepted his back swing with my cheek bone.
About the only complaint my bride had with our local range was the outhouse type latrine.
She's allergic to bee sting and there were wasp nests, and she declined to use the facilities.
Center Township Combat Pistol League
TARDIS driver, NRA Endowment!
"I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Sky Pilot wrote: ... the (male) shooter was doing without his hat for this stage ... and somehow, he's not sure how, the round fell in behind his shooting glasses.
I've had this happen twice in the last two years (basically, once a year since I started shooting), while using actual "shooting glasses." Once with a ballcap on, and once without. I had a third instance where I'd been wearing my prescriptions, which was what prompted me to invest in dedicated eyewear. In all three cases, the spent casings came from my line-mates.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

I had a 5.56 somehow get inside my vest and uniform. It was still outside my undershot, but it wasn't pleasant. Thing just sat there too couldn't get it out at the time. Trapped one between my arm and a bale of hay one time too, didn't feel it for a few seconds. That one left a nice little scar for awhile.

My biggest peeve is breaking the 180 and/or flagging people. Most everything else is just annoying. Flagging will get someone killed. I see it a lot at some ranges too.
minimal brat

Post by minimal brat »

I have to sweep the floors at home and clean up after everyone. I should not have to sweep the floors and clean up after everyone at the range before I can safely walk to the stall. I sometimes feel my housework is never done even when I leave the house.
Gun Control:
The theory that a woman found dead in the woods, brutally raped and strangled is somehow morally superior to that same woman explaining to police how her would be rapist got that fatal bullet in his body.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

minimal brat wrote:I have to sweep the floors at home and clean up after everyone. I should not have to sweep the floors and clean up after everyone at the range before I can safely walk to the stall.
Dawn:

(I see you found this group, too.)

Lotta MCP's on the range? :D.... I used to bring my daughter along to sweep when using a public range. 'Bout time she had a skill :evil:. She's a Charge Nurse in a Pediatric ER now. Must be doing caffeine IV, 'cause when she visits, she tends to move so fast I can't see her. I shoot at the club range now, and we have a lot of guys reloading. Cases get swept up, and fought over :wink: .
I sometimes feel my housework is never done even when I leave the house.
I hope you're not skipping range time in favor of housework! :D Downright sinful....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
minimal brat

Post by minimal brat »

Hey Stu :wink: nothing comes before shooting except the minor foot surgery I just had lol.
Gun Control:
The theory that a woman found dead in the woods, brutally raped and strangled is somehow morally superior to that same woman explaining to police how her would be rapist got that fatal bullet in his body.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

When I was younger, I would stand behind and to the right of a shooter and practice swatting ejected brass out of mid-air. One case wedged itself between the middle and ring fingers of my left hand. :shock:

No scar, but my career as a brass swatter came to an abrupt end! :roll:

Nowadays, when I see someone trying to catch flying brass over someone's shoulder, it drives me crazy, although I'm secretly hoping they catch one!
MyWifeSaidYes
dangerranger6100

Post by dangerranger6100 »

SMMAssociates wrote:
minimal brat wrote:I have to sweep the floors at home and clean up after everyone. I should not have to sweep the floors and clean up after everyone at the range before I can safely walk to the stall.
Dawn:

I shoot at the club range now, and we have a lot of guys reloading. Cases get swept up, and fought over :wink: .
I sometimes feel my housework is never done even when I leave the house.
I hope you're not skipping range time in favor of housework! :D Downright sinful....

Regards,
Yep, start reloading and you'll appreciate it all those untidy people. It's like Christmas when I walk into a stall at a public range. Now I want to buy guns for all this random brass I have lying around. I'm trying to accumulate enough 38 Super brass to justify buying one :lol:
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

dangerranger6100 wrote: Yep, start reloading and you'll appreciate it all those untidy people. It's like Christmas when I walk into a stall at a public range. Now I want to buy guns for all this random brass I have lying around. I'm trying to accumulate enough 38 Super brass to justify buying one :lol:
My first few trips to the state-run range at Spring Valley were right when I started into reloading. Well worth the 30 miles each way; on one visit someone must have just left after firing a Thompson submachine gun. (The range was mostly unattended by rangers or other employees in those days. Was and still is against the rules to shoot full-auto there.) Must have been about 800 once fired .45acp cases strewn about the firing line. Most were in great shape, not dinged up by the ejection port or anything. Another time yielded 200 or more .357 magnum empties.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
glocksmith

Post by glocksmith »

Gaspode wrote:My shooting range pet peaves are as follows:

You aren't me.
You're here.
LoL, you beat me to it. The mere presence of other people is my pet peeve. :mrgreen:
Give em' Hell Pike!!!