Ladies:What holster for Ruger LCR?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Ladies:What holster for Ruger LCR?

Post by JU-87 »

What holster would you recommend for my wife to carry her Ruger LCR .38spl?

She was carrying "occasionally" (that means rarely) with a gun fanny pack. She don't like the pack anymore.

Please tell me what works for you.

Thanks.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Ladies:What holster for Ruger LCR?

Post by djmac1964 »

Just picked up a Kholster for my wife to carry her LCR in, had a cheap IWB before that. Has worn it for the past two days, and is very happy with it.
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Search here using the terms "women holster," and you'll get quite a bit of info. :)

The problem is that for as varied as we each are, as men - causing our preferences in carry gear and in our carry preferences to be unique - in many ways, it's even more difficult for women.

Just as I say to new carriers who are male, I'll say the same to females: you've really got to get out there and try some different methods, yourself. We're all unique individuals, and our subjective perception of "comfort" varies greatly among individuals. Our body builds are different, our clothing can be different (Mustan380gal pointed out to me that many women's pants/shorts/skirts/bottoms either have really flimsy belt-loops or belt-loops not in the same places as they would usually appear on men's pants), our gear also different. These are all critical concerns: one person may say that the carry of X gun using Y gear in location Z is so concealable as to make it totally disappear and is all-day comfortable, another can find it to be even better, and yet another less so, while, for yet another, it's completely non-viable.

Use the posts that you've searched up with those terms above as a guide, but you'll really need to have your wife actually take the time and effort to try the different methods, to see what best fits her needs. :)
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
jdmsds

Post by jdmsds »

I have this for sale :wink: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=61742" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

What TSiWRX said. It's hard to recommend a holster, because clothing preferences and body shape come into play so much. I basically tried every holster Joe had, found the one I liked best of the lot and then played with clothing options. Turned out none of the holsters rode where I wanted them to because my jeans were too low of a rise - it wasn't the holster at all. Have her try one or some of yours, anything at all, even if it's for a different gun, and have her really think and point out what it is she does or doesn't like about them. That'll at least give you guys more of a starting place.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

TSiWRX wrote:Search here using ...fits her needs. :)
No offense intended, But your post was exactly what I was NOT looking for.
EVERYTHING you wrote on this topic is self evident. EVERYTHING.

What I was hopeing for was to hear from a WOMEN who carries a Ruger LCR, and what holster SHE liked/settled on to use as a starting point..

Or a guy who's wife/girlfriend/Mom/Daughter carries a Ruger LCR, and what holster SHE liked/settled on.
Last edited by JU-87 on Fri May 25, 2012 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun... Let your gun, therefore, be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson, 1785.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Henry Kissinger said, "Military Men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in Foreign Policy" and has not denied this quote to this day.
JU-87
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JU-87 »

Thank you Mrs. Daspirate .

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

JU-87 wrote:Thank you Mrs. Daspirate .
^ Wait, I don't get it.....
JU-87 wrote:
TSiWRX wrote:Search here using ...fits her needs.
No offense intended, But your post was exactly what I was NOT looking for.
EVERYTHING you wrote on this topic is self evident. EVERYTHING.

What I was hopeing for was to hear from a WOMEN who carries a Ruger LCR, and what holster SHE liked/settled on to use as a starting point..

Or a guy who's wife/girlfriend/Mom/Daughter carries a Ruger LCR, and what holster SHE liked/settled on.
When she'd led off her post with --->
Mrs. Daspirate wrote:What TSiWRX said. It's hard to recommend a holster, because clothing preferences and body shape come into play so much.
:?:

Besides, the recommendation of "women holster" search terms will bring up plenty of specific posts:
Psouper wrote:Hi... I am 5'4 and size 12-14, pretty evenly proportioned. It's always a challenge. I like to dress nice - you won't see me in the grocery store in my pajama pants and slippers...

Fanny pack? Not going there..Oversized men's shirt? No thanks..
I normally carry my .38 revolver in a inside the waistband sheepskin holster, appendix carry. Even when the weather is hot, I will wear a very light cover garment. A tank top covered by a thin drapey cardigan usually does the trick. There are some long crocheted vests in stores now ( I got one at Forever21) ... anything to break up the line under your tshirt Darker colors are helpful.
An elastic holster that can be moved up, down and around is nice to have. I think I paid about $15 for mine.
And even Mrs. Daspirate's post above already had a more detailed precedent, which she wrote in that single thread that I'd derived the previous specific posts from:
Mrs. Daspirate wrote:I don't know how this works for curvier women, but I did notice that higher-rise jeans worked a lot better for me, as well as shifting the gun slightly further back on the hip. I originally tried carrying exactly the way my husband carries, right about 3-4 o'clock on the hip. When I was wearing the lower-rise jeans that I generally prefer wearing at work, it stuck out like a... well, a gun. I had to cover it up with a big hoodie all the time. When I tried on a pair of jeans that rose to mid-waist, it allowed the gun to actually lay more along the curve, rather than sticking up and out from the hip, particularly when I shifted it back a little bit. It's still a work in progress, but I thought I'd share the observations anyway. It may not be the same for a different body type, I'm not sure, but it may not just be a matter of playing with shirt types, it may also be about playing with wear the pants hit along the waistline, and perhaps trying some pants that you wouldn't normally wear as well, and you can play with the position of the gun too.
I hate giving people non-specific advice. If you'd taken the time to search, instead of knee-jerk reacting off of my recommendation to do so (despite my having given specific search term recommendations), you would have found that my post truly had your and your loved one's best interests in-mind. :(

BTW, continuing to read just that single thread, you'll see that Mustang380gal returned with some very specific advice regarding jeans:
Mustang380gal wrote:Cabela's and Gander Mountain have a women's clothing section which seems to have better options to be used for concealed carry.

I like to wear skirts, but finding ones with waistbands and wide enough belt loops is often futile. I have done well at Cabela's and GM, though. Mostly Cabela's. I think Fin, Feather, Fur in Ashland has similar clothes to Cabela's.

Somebody makes a "hiker cut" jean, which rides almost to the navel, but seems to have some room in the tush. I am planning on trying that, when I can get to a store.
And so did Cruiser
Cruiser wrote:Wrangler makes womens high rise jeans.
http://www.wrangler.com/store/WRG_WESTE ... ural&ps=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And ATGglobal also had a very specific recommendation in another thread that was again brought up with the same search terms:
ATGglobal wrote:check with discreetcarry.com. you can find them on ebay. heres a couple pics of options they have for the ladies

http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... olster.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... lster2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i943.photobucket.com/albums/ad28 ... lster3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^ Just because we're not women, does that mean that our responses are any less valid?

Want more?

Again, this was a specific post pulled with the "women holster" search terms -
Gumby wrote:Hi azaria567 and WELCOME!

I carry a S&W Airweight 38 special, with a cheapo Galco IWB holster which I carry at appendix location on my left (I am right handed) It works well for me. I think the curvier types of girls have more trouble concealing, I am straighter and tall-ish with a long torso.

I recently bought a new outside-the-waistband holster, one of those that is molded to the shape of my specific gun. I like it but I'm still not wearing it outside the house much until I get more used to it. It seems to conceal pretty well. The reason I got this new holster is... well, I have gained some weight (taking prednisone for a health condition) and the inside-the-waistband holster plus this additional FAT is making my clothes too tight at the waist! :(

Because my 38 special is rough on the hands when shooting a lot at the range, I also recommend a .22 for that. You can practice all day long and your hands still feel fine.

Stay safe!
Sure, that's a featherweight S&W snubbie, but I'd say that was close enough.

And in that same thread, there's much more, all from actual (hey, this is the Intraw3bs, so :lol: ) women:
lolah wrote:I have two that I alternate back and forth between. A Sig P239 (.9mm), and a Ruger LCR (.38 special). I have carried both on my ankle and on my hip, in my jacket pocket in a sleeve, belly band, and in my purse. I don't like purse carry for a variety of reasons. I also have a belly bag, or fanny pack that I use sometimes in the car instead of a holster. I have to leave my gun stored in the car because I work in a federal building.

I have found it difficult to conceal a weapon around the belly/hip area with a holster, but the belly band worked pretty well, especially in the front and in the small of the back. Unless, of course, you plan to wear oversized clothing. :wink:
jenn72 wrote:Ruger LCP, pocket carry with a turtle creek IWB holster.
pnhsavvy wrote:I currently carry a s&w snub nosed .38 with a crossbreed super tuck. Not my favorite gun, I don't like shooting it and I find the butt of the revolver prints pretty much regardless of my clothing choices. I am going to instead get the sig P238. I have shot it at the range and tried it with an iwb holster, and I love it. will be easy to stay proficient, and the .380 ammo isn't any more expensive than .38 special.

I know a few other women that carry compact m & p's quite well, especially in appendix carry, but I prefer to carry strong side behind my hip, and the revolver just adds too much to my hip. Good luck, there are certainly many good choices out there.
Gumby also had another highly detailed previous post (yes, this is another thread which was pulled-up using the same search terms) ---->
Gumby wrote:Just putting in my two cents' worth...

A lot of women's jeans and pants have a bit of spandex. Combine those pants with a good belt and appendix carry (or IWB) works real well for me. I never thought I'd want to wear a non-decorative belt, but have actually become quite comfortable wearing one (bought a couple on sale at The Gap). I haven't had to buy new pants for concealed carry, but I do tend to buy longer tops. If I wear a shorter top, I usually combine it with a vest or jacket.

Pocket carry is difficult for women because our pockets are just too darn small for a pocket holster. In the wintertime, I can use a pocket holster with my winter coat. Tactical/5.11 pants look too "manly" and in fact my son made fun of me when I tried them.

She wouldn't actually have to appendix carry, but it seems to conceal better for me than on the hip (I previously tried 4:00, 5:00 positions). Since I have a sort-of straight figure, carrying on the hip seemed to print more than I wanted. Occasionally I would get a glimpse of myself, a reflection in a window or something, and realize I had this holster bulge sticking out from my hip.

I was a little concerned about the safety of appendix carry, but then realized that my holster covered the trigger, and since I carry a DAO S&W 38 Model 642 (which meant it would be hard to accidentally fire the gun), after some practice carry and some careful consideration, I now feel very safe with this carry style. It's very accessible if needed, and yet secure. It's never become loose or insecure.

I do hope to get a shoulder holster later, maybe a belly band. I have a holster purse also for those occasions when I can't carry on body. But for now, this works.

But that's OK, blast my post because it was supposedly non-specific, and because I'm not a woman. :? :cry: If you'd taken the time to actually follow-through with that simple and directed search, you'd have seen the posts above, which had been my intent all along. But again, every individual is different, and women, even more so. Since I'm not a woman, based on your reply above, you're not going to take my word for it - fine - but that's the same thing that several of the women I've referenced above have said - and you gave no indication of the body-build of your loved one.

That's going to matter *A LOT*. Here's an example:

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... r#p4003292" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ Myself and others have consistently referenced faliaphotography and limatunes/limalife's great YouTube Channels, when it comes to women and concealed carry.

But there's a big problem.

Both of those women share very similar body-builds. And the last time I checked, not all women were shaped like that.

The reason I keep citing my "exceptions" to their Channels (despite my constant reference of them, because they really are that good) is because early-on, I had pulled their Channels as a reference for an e-friend of mine in another legal concealed-carry community, only to run into a problem - he replied that wife isn't built like those women, and when he and his wife tried, many of those methods did not work. His wife's body was much more similar to that of my wife's, and even though my wife does not carry, I know (I should, right? after all, I am her husband :P :lol: ) that the curves and shapes of the women in those videos do not match my wife's...so their carry recommendations would probably not work well.

You've said that what I posted was self-evident, I agree, that's true. But these are things which will greatly impact any woman's (or man's) individual ability to adapt certain gear and gear setup.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
debgram

Post by debgram »

Check this one out, I believe they have one for that model.

http://ultimateconcealedcarry.com/pin-u ... betty.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Debbie
SC-JG

Post by SC-JG »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Video includes a variety of holsters and guns (including the Ruger LCR).
...peace out
oh_coord

Post by oh_coord »

I am a female; have carried for about five years, and am going to try this holster at some point (right now i don't own one of the firearms that is compatible with it). Not sure if this is up her alley, and some practice would be needed to ensure not covering oneself with the muzzle when drawing, but it is an option with the Ruger LCR. http://flashbangholster.com/the_flashbang" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GOA Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member, Second Amendment Sisters - Ohio Coordinator
http://www.womenshooters.com/archive/ol ... e1108.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;