How many guns do you have? Favorites?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

phirehawk wrote:Doesn't Bersa make a 45? Maybe it goes under their other name, but I seem to recall a pistol like the famed 380 in other calibers. The only time a cartride is underpowered is when it misses. I've got a G19 now (9mm) and my next pistol will probably be a 45.
Yes, Bersa does make a 45...can't recall what they call it though.
Packin' Mom
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

standerson wrote:My wife has an Subcompact XD 9mm and a Sig 239SAS in .40. In May, she is adding a Kahr, I believe it's a CW9. She buys her own stuff. I'm just the money guy.
I was thinking of getting a Kahr...if your wife gets one let us know how she likes it. I love my Springfield but its kind of big for concealed carry, since Kahr is smaller I was seriously considering it.
Packin' Mom
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

packin'mom wrote: I was thinking of getting a Kahr...if your wife gets one let us know how she likes it. I love my Springfield but its kind of big for concealed carry, since Kahr is smaller I was seriously considering it.
Kahr's 9mm guns are sweet. They are well-designed, well-made, self defense tools. They come in heavy or light, depending on whether you select the metal or polymer frames. Either is easy to carry and shoot. The polymer frame is lighter, thus easier to carry. The metal frame is heavier, thus a bit easier to shoot. However, either one would make an excellent choice.

The .40 S&W Kahr is a different story. It amounts to packing too big a cartridge into too small a frame. It, too, is well-designed and well-made, but there's really only just so much you can do with a large caliber round in a small caliber frame. The Kahr .40's carry easily enough, but they are a bear to shoot -- and that is true even for a large, strong man with big hands.

If I had to make a choice between the .40 and the 9mm, I would opt for the 9mm.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

TunnelRat wrote:
packin'mom wrote: I was thinking of getting a Kahr...if your wife gets one let us know how she likes it. I love my Springfield but its kind of big for concealed carry, since Kahr is smaller I was seriously considering it.
Kahr's 9mm guns are sweet. They are well-designed, well-made, self defense tools. They come in heavy or light, depending on whether you select the metal or polymer frames. Either is easy to carry and shoot. The polymer frame is lighter, thus easier to carry. The metal frame is heavier, thus a bit easier to shoot. However, either one would make an excellent choice.

The .40 S&W Kahr is a different story. It amounts to packing too big a cartridge into too small a frame. It, too, is well-designed and well-made, but there's really only just so much you can do with a large caliber round in a small caliber frame. The Kahr .40's carry easily enough, but they are a bear to shoot -- and that is true even for a large, strong man with big hands.

Thanks for the info...I am definitely thinking of getting a Kahr in 9mm. I agree that .40 is a bit too large a caliber round for such a small gun.
Packin' Mom
McGyver

Post by McGyver »

How many? Let's just say more than 50!

My favs. are my Astra in .45cal.
My Astra in 9mm.
And my Dan Wesson in .357mag.
Guns don't kill people, husbands that come home early do!
Proud OFCC Member
Proud USCCA Member
Proud NRA member
Proud American!
Sticks and stones may break my bones but Sabalo's beatings excite me!
JB

Post by JB »

I have a Kahr MK9. The steel 9mm version. Very nice DAO action. Very smooth trigger. A friend let me try his at the range. I picked it up and 5 rounds in four holes! (Beginners luck!) I bought one after that. The DAO is much shorter than a snubby S&W revolver.

JB
-----------
JB
Sevesteen

Post by Sevesteen »

TunnelRat wrote: The .40 S&W Kahr is a different story. It amounts to packing too big a cartridge into too small a frame. It, too, is well-designed and well-made, but there's really only just so much you can do with a large caliber round in a small caliber frame. The Kahr .40's carry easily enough, but they are a bear to shoot -- and that is true even for a large, strong man with big hands.

I had a Kahr P40, and I was pleasantly surprised by it's recoil--I was expecting quite a bit worse. It was only slightly more intense to me than my XD40sc, and actually easier to shoot than my current P3AT. If it had been reliable, it would have been close to perfect.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

I've been saving my .223 and 9mm brass. I don't see any cost saveings reloading the 9mm, but I'm sure I'll be purchasing a set of .223 dies soon.
ArcherAce, Still feel that way??
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
standerson

Post by standerson »

My wife has a XD Subcompact (9mm), Sig 239SAS (.40), Kahr CW9 and a Mossberg 12 guage with an adjustable stock and pistol grip forend.

I saw "Yes Ma'am" frequently.
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Jake wrote:
I've been saving my .223 and 9mm brass. I don't see any cost saveings reloading the 9mm, but I'm sure I'll be purchasing a set of .223 dies soon.
ArcherAce, Still feel that way??
I started reloading for 9mm a few months back. I'd be saving a fortune if I ever shot my G19! :D

The .223 I don't reload. My Bushy just sits.
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Favorite all time guns?

Remington 870, Winchester Model 12, Ruger 10/11, CZ 40B, S&W 642.

As far as carry guns go, CZ 40B wherever possible/practical, Keltec P3AT otherwise (gun? what gun?)
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction