Frustrated with Concealing....

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

High Power

Re: Frustrated with Concealing....

Post by High Power »

Don’t give up carrying. Explore all the options. I will say this to encourage you to keep carrying, even if it is extremely uncomfortable: Getting beat up is no fun. It has happened to me. I will take the discomfort of carrying a large pistol over getting beaten any day.

I haven’t been shot or stabbed but I would be willing to bet that the discomfort of carrying a large pistol is a lot less pain.

I am not a woman and don’t know what it is like to be raped or sexually assaulted. So, again, I would still be willing to bet that carrying a large pistol is a lot less pain than the aforementioned act.

The previous posts contain a lot of great ideas. I just want to salute you for taking personal responsibility for your safety and if you have children; them as well. I wish more women would carry a sidearm and get interested in shooting.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

TKshooter wrote: As far as downsizing the gun- a Glock 26 is on my list as my next gun. Its hard to switch- I have put so many many many rounds through the 19 that its going to cost a lot of money and time to do the same break in on the 26. But I think it will make a difference.
^ Question - what part of the G19, *specifically* is giving you the problem?

Is it its "thickness?" I have this issue, with my preferred carry-gun, when in dressier clothing, and I'm a man (OK, OK, there's some moobs involved, but I'm genuinely working on it! [after being completely beaten-down in the last hour of Ron's knife-fighting class, I've pledged myself to getting fit] :oops: :) ). Having a similar-controls alternate-carry that is "slimmer" has helped me tremendously.

Or is it some other part of the pistol that's the issue? For me, because of my daily attire, I choose to carry a "Compact" class double-stacker autopistol because what gives me the most trouble, given my preferred carry-position on-body, is the length of the grip. With a shortened grip, it's rare that I have any problems.

What is the actual issue that's causing your gun to print excessively? Is it a specific portion that needs more concealment? or is it really that the whole gun just pops out "in-relief?"
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
cashman966
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by cashman966 »

This woman has several videos on youtube demonstrating different carry methods.

Here is one

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women
Ignorant or Stupid, I'm not sure which is worse. If someone were stupid, at least they'd have an excuse for all the dumb things they say.

Pass the Peace Pipe I need another hit

IANAL and neither are most people on this board, its just shows more with some than others.
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

Question - what part of the G19, *specifically* is giving you the problem?
The part that is printing the most is the grip. It sticks out and to me it looks like it could be a big clunky cell phone. The 26 would help by eliminating one finger grip possibly making it not stick out as much and the slightly shorter barrel may allow the gun to ride lower IWB. (dont know if that last part is true).

I am still playing around with placement of the holster. I have the ride depth about where I want it and I try to carry (left handed) 10 o'clock and sometimes push it back towards 9 o'clock. I have never tried behind by hip- towards small of back- I would rather draw closer to appendix.

I am working up to open carry- if it ends up being a super hot summer- which i am sure it will- that my be my only option.
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

For the most part a shorter barrel will not mean the gun's body will go further down into the holster. And that's actually a good thing; it could make the gun too hard to get hold of when needed.

As you've found out it's the size of the grip end of the pistol that determines how hard it is to conceal. Sometimes using a holster with a slight butt-forward cant (angle) will hide the gun better than a straight drop.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

TKshooter wrote:
Question - what part of the G19, *specifically* is giving you the problem?
The part that is printing the most is the grip. It sticks out and to me it looks like it could be a big clunky cell phone. The 26 would help by eliminating one finger grip possibly making it not stick out as much and the slightly shorter barrel may allow the gun to ride lower IWB. (dont know if that last part is true).
^ Indeed, as you guessed and like Brian D. said, the shorter barrel/slide may or may not make a difference. The "cant"/rake of the holster may often make more of a difference, with your current issue, but again, that's going to be based on body-build and the rest of how you set up your gear.
I am still playing around with placement of the holster. I have the ride depth about where I want it and I try to carry (left handed) 10 o'clock and sometimes push it back towards 9 o'clock. I have never tried behind by hip- towards small of back- I would rather draw closer to appendix.
I don't blame you - the forward-of-hips areas tend to have better accessibility in a fight...I'd like to go appendix/inguinal, but my current fat-roll is somewhat prohibitive :oops: . Like Brian D. said, I'd experiment with "cant"/rake, in combination with your overall "clocking" change, and see if that helps. For me, the combination of a severe forward cant/rake and the shortened grip is what allows me the concealment I desire, carrying where I do (at 2:45-3'o-clock). One thing to pay attention is whether your new placement will give you the leverage to draw the gun properly - my placement/setup, for example, places some stress on the wrist during a strong-side draw, and may not be workable for some. For me, a base-plate extension - for my XDm9 3.8 Compact, specifically, it's the Pearce Grip +0 "pinky rest" extension - allows for no noticeable difference in concealment/printing, while giving me extra purchase on the pistol's grip, similar to that on a full-sized gun - during the critical grab-and-draw strokes.

Also, remember that although you are experimenting with your current gear (your CBST), if it's not as comfortable as it could be, based on the footprint of the holster backing, that there's a lot of backing there that can either be modified for more comfort with your specific carry-style or, alternatively, you can go with another holster to optimize comfort, once you've finalized positioning.
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

If it looks like a big clunky cell phone then I think your over thinking it... :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ You know, I don't know how I skipped over that part! :oops: :lol:

I agree with PGWP. If it looks like a big cell phone, it probably *IS* a big cell-phone.

Are we talking 1980s portable-phone big? or are we talking sat-phone big? or are we talking smartphone big?

My cell phone makes MUCH more of a bulge than my gun. That's a big part of the reason why I don't worry about my gun. :)
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

TSiWRX wrote:
My cell phone makes MUCH more of a bulge than my gun. That's a big part of the reason why I don't worry about my gun.
Bingo! There used to be 'Gun Buster' signs on many businesses, but most were replaced by the ubiquitous (and legally required) 'No Smoking' signs. Apparently business owners figured one 'Ban' sign on their doors was plenty.

Cell phones accomplish much the same thing for concealed carry. If everybody's got a bulge under their shirt, then nobody is going to pay any particular attention to yours.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
TKshooter

Post by TKshooter »

I adjusted my cant to a more forward one. I thought I had it forward but apparently it was able to go a little bit more. My husband said any further and I will be drawing upside down. I have practiced my draw and I do not have any issues.

This helped my concealment some. And I noticed with the new cant and having it just a little bit in front of my hip I am concealing better. Still need to wear a shirt one size bigger then I think it will be a complete non-issue.

I changed my mind on the 26, I am going to stick with the 19- I like it too much to change right now. I am playing around with holsters. I have the CBST and a OWB fobus and a Galco shoulder harness. With it getting warmer I will have to just dress better or stop caring. I am leaning towards the not caring side. I left the other day printing some and decided- hey who cares- if they can tell the buldge is a gun they are either a cop or have a gun themselves.
-TK

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

My wife often steals one of my button down shirts (Leaves it unbuttoned) when she is worried about printing (especially if its a tight tank top). May not be fashionable but it works.

I wonder how well a bra holster like the flashbang works? I see they don't make one specifically for the G19 but they do for the 26. I think as long as a shirt was loose fitting enough a 19 might work as well?

Tight fitting or revealing clothing are probably some of the worst things for concealed carry sadly.

I commend you for getting a gun you can shoot well and has a track record for reliability and durability and not succumbing to the usual biased recommendations that women should get a snub .38 or something equally challenging to shoot well or simply looks "pretty". I believe that self defense guns should be functional and appearances should take a back seat to practicality. Generally, I feel that guns that work well for men, should work well for women as well and the general consensus I see on the internet and gun stores are often wrong on this point.

I wish I could be more help in this area. I own a Glock 19, and notice many of the same complaints you have, but being a guy, I recognize that it is probably easier for me to adjust my wardrobe to accommodate and not look very out of place or uncomfortable.
Psouper

Post by Psouper »

Hi... I am 5'4 and size 12-14, pretty evenly proportioned. It's always a challenge. I like to dress nice - you won't see me in the grocery store in my pajama pants and slippers...

Fanny pack? Not going there..Oversized men's shirt? No thanks..
I normally carry my .38 revolver in a inside the waistband sheepskin holster, appendix carry. Even when the weather is hot, I will wear a very light cover garment. A tank top covered by a thin drapey cardigan usually does the trick. There are some long crocheted vests in stores now ( I got one at Forever21) ... anything to break up the line under your tshirt Darker colors are helpful.
An elastic holster that can be moved up, down and around is nice to have. I think I paid about $15 for mine.
Proud Army Mom