Carry Issues for women!

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Josie115

Carry Issues for women!

Post by Josie115 »

Where the heck am I going to put this thing? If I dressed like a guy, it would be no problem. Lot's of options there, but I often wear dresses with no pockets, pants with no pockets and now that it's warm out...hmm. Purse carry is an option but I have a tendency to leave my purse in the grocery cart and wander off down the isle. I have tucked one in my purse on occassion however. I'm not yet willing to change wardrobes. Some tips from those of you who regularly carry??
Joey
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Carry Issues for women!

Post by TunnelRat »

Josie115 wrote:Where the heck am I going to put this thing? If I dressed like a guy, it would be no problem. Lot's of options there, but I often wear dresses with no pockets, pants with no pockets and now that it's warm out...hmm.
Joey, you might want to look at some of Ken Null's shoulder holsters (http://www.klnullholsters.com/). He makes several very small, very concealable shoulder holsters for guns like your Bersa. You can conceal one under your blouse very easily.

Actually, it is easier for a woman to use shoulder holsters for a number of reasons. While wearing a shoulder holster drives many men crazy, women tend to be used to, uh, straps and thingies around the shoulders and are thus much more comfortable with such devices.

Also, while most men have to attach the retaining strap on many shoulder holsters to their belts, woman usually have various other, uh, straps and thingies to attach it to.
Purse carry is an option but I have a tendency to leave my purse in the grocery cart and wander off down the isle. I have tucked one in my purse on occassion however.
Carrying a firearm in a purse often calls for a major lifestyle change. You dare not under any circumstances let your purse get separated from you. If a child (or an equally irresponsible untrained adult) were to find your abandoned purse and its deadly contents, there could be a disaster that would alter your life forever.

If you tend to be even a little careless with your purse, then that is probably not an option for you. On the other hand, a purse with a lock on it does constitute a locked case for vehicle carry....
I'm not yet willing to change wardrobes. Some tips from those of you who regularly carry??
Sorry, as all of us who carry regularly have found (much to our consternation) some change of wardrobe is necessary. While we don't necessarily have to "dress around" our firearm, surely there are some trade-offs we all have to make. My daughters carry regularly and they have found that with a few small changes to their wardrobe, they can conceal their weapons adequately.

For belt carry you have the option of wearing blazers, bulky sweaters, or jackets. In summer weather you can cover a tank top or a t-shirt with an overshirt.

Many women have some difficulty with belt carry. Women are often higher waisted than men. This can result in your firearm pressing against tender parts of your body. These days, however, many holster makers produce belt holsters specially made for women, with a sort of spacer that lets the gun butt ride out a little further from the body to allow for the curve of the hips.

For wear with skirts and dresses you may want to consider leg or thigh holster. Some women swear by them; others swear at them. Ankle holsters work with slacks, as do pocket holsters for very small firearms.

You may want to read Paxton Quigley's Armed and Female, or Gila May-Hayes' The Woman, The Plan, The Gun for some helpful gun advice from women.
Josie115

thank you for the suggestions

Post by Josie115 »

I think I will try the shoulder holster option..actually it seems like it would already be more comfortable. When I do carry, I do have to accomodate that by changing what I wear. You are right about the curves and hip getting in the way. It is awkward. Can be done, but it's not comfortable. I also have used a belly band..outside of the car carry plain sight issue, it's fine for walking in the woods and just having it with me. Comfortable. I'm nuts about books and will look for the ones you've suggested.

Thanks for the suggestions..we welcome men's suggestions..(JJ) :wink:
Joey
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: thank you for the suggestions

Post by TunnelRat »

Josie115 wrote:You are right about the curves and hip getting in the way. It is awkward. Can be done, but it's not comfortable. Thanks for the suggestions..we welcome men's suggestions..(JJ) :wink:
It occurs to me to mention one other mode of carry that I have found to be an extremely comfortable way to carry a small revolver -- that is the Barami Hip-Grip. You can find it at: http://www.baramihipgrip.com/hipgrip.html.

From their web site:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Barami Hip Grip® is a set of stocks (replacement). The right grip panel has an "extension" that flares away from the gun slightly, creating a surface that when inserted inside the waistband (trousers, shorts, skirts, etc.) it hooks over it.

The Barami Hip-Grip® while eliminating the need for a concealment holster, still can be used with other types of holsters if needed.

Models are available to fit the following pistols:

* Smith & Wesson K Frame (round or square butt)
* Smith & Wesson J Frame (round or square butt)
* Small Colt Revolvers
* Small Taurus Revolvers
* Small Charter Arms Revolvers
* Small Rossi Revolvers
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used to carry my Smith & Wesson Model 640 using a Barami Hip-Grip. The revolver would just disappear behind my hip. It offers deep, deep concealment, combined with a great deal of comfort and convenience. I do not know of a better or easier way to carry a small revolver. It almost completely eliminates the difficulties associated with curves and handguns.

Of course there is a drawback (there's always a drawback...). Under current Ohio law, for vehicle carry your weapon must be on your person in a holster. So you would have to keep a holster in your car for car carry, or, alternatively, you could lock your revolver in your glove box or locking purse when you are in a vehicle.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Josie115

revolver carry

Post by Josie115 »

Hey..thanks for that link and info.. I have a small revolver and will probably be carrying that after my shoulder surgery. Will be drawing and shooting with weak arm..probably for awhile.. won't have use of my right arm or hand for awhile..have been practicing with left hand only and speed loaders..
Joey
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: revolver carry

Post by TunnelRat »

Josie115 wrote:Hey..thanks for that link and info.. I have a small revolver and will probably be carrying that after my shoulder surgery. Will be drawing and shooting with weak arm..probably for awhile.. won't have use of my right arm or hand for awhile..have been practicing with left hand only and speed loaders..
Weak hand shooting is a necessary practise for CCW. You never know what the circumstances may be if you ever have to actually use your firearm.

I am left-handed and the Barami Hip-Grip can only be made in a right-hand mode. I used to carry it behind my left hip with the butt forward. Carrying a revolver (or any gun for that matter) butt forward makes it MUCH more concealable.

It takes a little practise to be able to draw a butt forward gun. You have to twist your arm around when you grap the stocks. Be careful not to cross your body with the muzzle! You grip, draw straight up, pivot your wrist around until the gun is properly oriented, and only then bring the muzzle up.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Kacer

Re: revolver carry

Post by Kacer »

Josie115 wrote:Hey..thanks for that link and info.. I have a small revolver and will probably be carrying that after my shoulder surgery. Will be drawing and shooting with weak arm..probably for awhile.. won't have use of my right arm or hand for awhile..have been practicing with left hand only and speed loaders..
Joey... I have a shoulder holster if ya wanna TRY one out for a bit before purchasing one yourself. I wore it all day at Bulletfest a few Saturdays ago... hardly even paid it any attention. IMO VERY comfortable.
Josie115

I'll take you up on that..

Post by Josie115 »

Hey Kim...thanks..will give it a try. Everything I am doing right now is practice to see how it all will work with one arm..like..putting the holster on can be a challenge! It sucks...what did you think of bulletfest btw?
Joey
Harlie

Women's carry

Post by Harlie »

Vehicle carry must be addressed, here in Ohio, to allow women the options that will work for them. Plates ID us, we must notify at approach, what more should be required? Stand a a cruiser window, can you see LEO's handgun? We need more women with CCW to raise issues that affect them, so they can be properly addressed in future legislation.
Keep a keen mind, eye and edge.
INFIDEL, armed, angry and unapolegetic
Ole man from Thunder Mtn
Politicians & diapers should be changed often, both for the same reason
Josie115

Excellent point

Post by Josie115 »

Harlie..you have a great point. I have my CHL and the car carry issue is a pain. I have usually had to take my gun out of wherever I carry it, and I hook it to the seatbelt I wear. I look down and see that it's twisting around to point at any passenger I might have in the seat next to me. Now how safe is that???? It is a challenge though for all of us..men and women. I'm always willing to stand up and fight..speak out and whatever it takes. WE do need more women to join the fight. They never expect us women to come out in favor of guns. I spoke at the first public hearing on the AWB and while the stupid city council members seemed to be sleeping with their eyes open while the folks opposed to the ban were speaking..the one city council woman asked after I was through whether I was for or against the ban. She looked really confused..like she just woke up and realized if I was a woman speaking I must be for the ban..but figured "hmm..something wrong with this picture"... come on women..let's join forces.
Joey
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

I know those that see my posts probably get tired of reading it but I have really grown to like my Fobus roto paddle holsters for car carry. I set them to cross draw at an angle safe for me and someone in the driver's seat if I am a passenger. If a patrolperson wanted to take charge of the arm they could through an open window with the arm still inside the holster where it was safe. It does get too hot for direct skin contact laying in the sun on a bright day and is not real comfy directly against the skin at any time but if you have anything tucked between the outer lower clothing and the upper clothing you are wearing it is a good way for me at least to car carry. Hey I've spent a lot more on holsters only to not use them. If you keep a screw driver handy it makes a good range holster after you change the angle . Well worth the 24 bucks it cost me.
medphys3

Post by medphys3 »

Hi Josie,
My wife and I both use this:

http://www.action-direct.com/defender.htm

She tends to wear a skirt most often when we go out. It takes a while to get used to, but it holds a "J" frame quite well and you can push it up and down to fit with whatever your wearing. I use it with sweats and even pajamas. Good luck, glad your carrying.
Todd
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

My carry problem

Post by Mustang380gal »

My problem is that I am 5 months pregnant. To make my handgun in plain site in my van is challenging, to say the least. Between the height of the van, and my expanding belly, even if I try, I'm not sure if I''m successful. Looks plain to me, but whether LEO would see it remains to be seen. Hopefully I won't get stopped!
Mnemesyne

Post by Mnemesyne »

I've got the same issue with mine. I'm carrying a Llama Max-I 45 and currently I'm in a toss up between a vertical shoulder rig and a small of back rig...I'm only 115lbs, so trying to "conceal" this huge slab of steel is rather comical....although the looks on guys faces when I go to the range is rather interesting :-) Especially when they see the targets when I'm done shooting...
Redhorse

Car carry

Post by Redhorse »

Not sure if any of you are still following this thread...but josie115 wrote:
I have usually had to take my gun out of wherever I carry it, and I hook it to the seatbelt I wear.
I think this issue was addressed in a different forum (maybe you saw it...or were in on the thread). Because the law states "the weapon must be on your person" there was the question as to whether an LEO would make trouble for you since it is now "on your car". A simple solution I have found is to take a Blackhawk ambidextriuos universal belt holster (less than $20) and put a velcro strap through it that will fit around my leg. Keep this in the vehicle. If at any time my standard carry mode does not comply (or is not comfortable/handy) I grab this rig out of the console and strap it on my leg just above my knee, in full view and easy reach. :wink:

That little holster can be adjusted to fit just about any auto or revolver ust by reconfiguring the thumb break straps. Really nice if your not carrying the same weapon every time. Quick to change and don't have to buy multiple holsters! 8)

P.S. Mnemesyne, I've got another #40 to help hide my Max-I on and it still prints too often for me!
Freedom isn't free!