Carry Issues for women!

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

mtbrass wrote:In my experience, everyone should think very carefully before carrying in the small of the back, or 6:00 as been described. It's very uncomfortable to sit, and if you would ever take a fall and land on your back, serious injury can result. If fact, a lot of well known holster makers do not even sell this style any longer, for that reason. Plus the fact that unless you relocate before driving, the 'Plain Sight' rule would be nearly impossible to accommodate.
In my classes, I never recommend this style of carry.
There is an additional problem with the "small of back" carry that I have observed on the range. Most people will sweep their strong side hip with the muzzle while taking it around the hip to bring up and present.

You should STAY AWAY from ANY draw that causes you to do something this unsafe during a normal draw.

Buckshot
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Ms357 wrote:Yeah sitting and plain sight are issues. I don't have my liscense just yet, so I don't actually carry yet so I have no practical experience with it. I've founf keeping it right about the 1 or 2 ocklock position works good too. At the very least my Taurus revolver fits in the curve there pretty well and doesn't stick out too much. It still makes sitting hard. So I'm still going to give the belly band a shot whenever it gets here...
Ms357,

Have you tried a good IWB holster (with a belt) behind the point of the strong side hip?

One I could recommend is the Bianchi #3 pistol pocket. Thumb break retention strap, pivoting belt loop.

It woud work at both the 4-5 oclock position (behind the point of the hip) or the appendix position (1 - 2 oclock, in front of the point of the hip).

Buckshot
Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

Buckshot wrote:
Ms357 wrote:Yeah sitting and plain sight are issues. I don't have my liscense just yet, so I don't actually carry yet so I have no practical experience with it. I've founf keeping it right about the 1 or 2 ocklock position works good too. At the very least my Taurus revolver fits in the curve there pretty well and doesn't stick out too much. It still makes sitting hard. So I'm still going to give the belly band a shot whenever it gets here...
Ms357,

Have you tried a good IWB holster (with a belt) behind the point of the strong side hip?

One I could recommend is the Bianchi #3 pistol pocket. Thumb break retention strap, pivoting belt loop.

It woud work at both the 4-5 oclock position (behind the point of the hip) or the appendix position (1 - 2 oclock, in front of the point of the hip).

Buckshot
I tried my IWB behind the hip, but the grip stuck out very obviously. I probably just need to play with it more to find a good place for it, or work out angles to keep the grip from sticking out. I'd like to find a fwe different ways to carry depending on the weather and what I'm wearing that day.
doc832

If U carry its has to be on your person

Post by doc832 »

One of the toughest things to comply with of course is the carry in a vehicle. I have tried many things to carry on a motorcycle and car. THe law states that you MUST HAVE IT ATTACHED TO YOUR PERSON. Which means if you move it moves with you. I have a leg holster for the car and bike I use. However you are always switching back and forth, not good safety. For women, they cannot use the slick purse carry that is being touted. So its one more limiting factor in the gun senerio. If you read the OHIO LAW book that is offered on the web site or Petros opinions its pretty clear.
Hope this helps
Sincerely in CCW
Bob H
Defense is a human right and a skill the strong maintain. Strength does not come from muscle or size, its a matter of personality. Every Free man should understand why He is free.