Trying to find a Gun for my Wife

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Re: Trying to find a Gun for my Wife

Post by synack2 »

Back on Thread. My wife loves the Ruger SR22, she held one that my employee had and was like immediately like wow I love this gun. So I am going to get her to the range and let her shoot it this weekend along with a few others. If she really likes the SR22, then that is what I will get her. I have shot his 22 with him before several times at the range, and it is the only 22 auto handgun I have ever seen that hasn't jammed or malfunctioned one single time.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
BobK

Post by BobK »

synack2 wrote:Back on Thread. My wife loves the Ruger SR22, she held one that my employee had and was like immediately like wow I love this gun. So I am going to get her to the range and let her shoot it this weekend along with a few others. If she really likes the SR22, then that is what I will get her. I have shot his 22 with him before several times at the range, and it is the only 22 auto handgun I have ever seen that hasn't jammed or malfunctioned one single time.
I thought you were getting her a defensive gun, not a range gun or plinker?
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
synack2

Post by synack2 »

I want to get her the gun she wants. I would like a higher caliber, but maybe a 22 for now, get her shooting is and used to a semi-auto and maybe she will decide to move up later. I can say if I was going to carry a 22, the SR22 would be the one I would go for, it's a nice weapon. I have had a hard time reading her, when I hand her guns she is like thats okay or yeah I like it, but from the look on her face I can tell she is just trying to be nice about it, but isn't really digging any of them. I have been trying to tell her I am just giving your sugesstions to try, and if you don't like something or whatever just tell me what you are thinking I won't take it personally or anything. When my employee handed her the Ruger her eyes lit up, and she smiled and said I love this, this is nice.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

The SR22 is ostensibly a sub-caliber trainer for the SR-series pistols.....

Of those, the SR(insert caliber here)c - for Compact - models do have a slide that's under significant recoil-spring pressure, which can make it rather hard to rack, particularly when new. A couple of thousand rounds down the pipe will loosen things up a bit, but it'll still be a tight gun.

You may want to check out the full-sized SR variants, to see how they manipulate.

The Ruger SRs are very nice, with good ergos that typically fit quite a bit of the population, and through which the fit also helps mitigate recoil.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
gray wolf

Post by gray wolf »

Bought my wife the Ruger LCR 38. She loved it got a nice grip and dont hurt the hand.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

Went to the range today with the wife. We went tried a LOT of Borrowed and Rental Guns of different types, sizes, calibers, semi autos, revolvers, etc. She seems to really like the 22 Sig Mosquito. At first she was a little intimidated reloading mags and operating them. After and hour or so she was handling them like a pro and even clearing the occasional malfunction (Dirty Worn Out Range Rental Guns!) with no problem. I told her we can get the Mosquito and she can shoot go to the range every 2 weeks with me and when she is fully comfortable with it, maybe then she can try to move up to a 32 or a 380 and be more comfortable with a higher caliber. She seemed really happy when she found out they make it in purple, her favorite color :)
djmac1964
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by djmac1964 »

synack2 wrote:Went to the range today with the wife. We went tried a LOT of Borrowed and Rental Guns of different types, sizes, calibers, semi autos, revolvers, etc. She seems to really like the 22 Sig Mosquito. At first she was a little intimidated reloading mags and operating them. After and hour or so she was handling them like a pro and even clearing the occasional malfunction (Dirty Worn Out Range Rental Guns!) with no problem. I told her we can get the Mosquito and she can shoot go to the range every 2 weeks with me and when she is fully comfortable with it, maybe then she can try to move up to a 32 or a 380 and be more comfortable with a higher caliber. She seemed really happy when she found out they make it in purple, her favorite color :)
Glad to hear! Let her make the decisions about what she shoots, and she will be a happy shooter! :wink:
Don M
U S Army Veteran 84-91
OFCC Patron Member
NRA Life Member
ORPA Member
WVCDL Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor / RSO

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

Until last night I had a Kahr CW40. After shooting it for an hour my wife now has a Kahr CW40 and I'm back to carrying a P3AT or S&W 37. Previously she carried a CZ82 and usually simply open carries.
synack2

Post by synack2 »

walnut red wrote:Until last night I had a Kahr CW40. After shooting it for an hour my wife now has a Kahr CW40 and I'm back to carrying a P3AT or S&W 37. Previously she carried a CZ82 and usually simply open carries.
That Kahr CW40 Feels nice in my hand. I was checking one out the other day at the gun store.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

synack2 wrote:
walnut red wrote:Until last night I had a Kahr CW40. After shooting it for an hour my wife now has a Kahr CW40 and I'm back to carrying a P3AT or S&W 37. Previously she carried a CZ82 and usually simply open carries.
That Kahr CW40 Feels nice in my hand. I was checking one out the other day at the gun store.

Like many new pistols mine has an irritating quirk, it tends to drop the magazine on the last shot. Kahr thinks the problem is either an out of spec mag follower or magazine release. They offered to send me a shipping label to send it back for repairs or send me the parts and I’ve opted for the parts. This is mildly annoying but if you go to any brand focused internet forum you will find a troubleshooting section. Not much mass produced is perfect.

I did not think my wife or daughter would like the recoil of the 40 but they were both able to keep all their shots inside a 6” paper plate at 30’. For the first time they ever handled the firearm we were all impressed. A friend has a Kahr PM9 and while it shoots very well in my beefy hands the ladies in our shooting group that have compared the two have found the CW a lot easier to hit with. Since they all also shoot P3AT/LCP pistols well I suspect they are having a harder time getting a consistent grip on the PM9. I thought my wife would opt for a CW9 after shooting my CW40, but she said it reminds her of shooting her 1911A1, which also used to be mine 25 years ago.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

synack2 wrote:Back on Thread. My wife loves the Ruger SR22, she held one that my employee had and was like immediately like wow I love this gun. So I am going to get her to the range and let her shoot it this weekend along with a few others. If she really likes the SR22, then that is what I will get her. I have shot his 22 with him before several times at the range, and it is the only 22 auto handgun I have ever seen that hasn't jammed or malfunctioned one single time.
I second that on the SR22...
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens