Women Friendly Places to shoot?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Show me a shooting establishment that ISN'T woman friendly. :wink:
AkronGuy32

Post by AkronGuy32 »

Just my opinion of course, but I do know one woman-friendly range in the Medina area. It's called "The Deer Hunter". The woman who sits behind the counter with the men, I think she runs the place, really knows her guns. She even sold me 3 of em last month. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
NRA Life Member

The only correct actions are those that demand no explanation and no apology.
Linda

Post by Linda »

Petrofergov wrote:Show me a shooting establishment that ISN'T woman friendly. :wink:
A little off subject here, because I think most of the ranges are woman friendly. :D When I was shopping for my weapon in 1/04, my husband and I went to then Galyans at Easton. The salesguy starts talking to Jim and ignors me. My husband pointed out to him, that hey, she's the one looking for a gun not me. Also, Saturday, on our way to taking Ken Hanson's Utah CCW class (gives us 10 more states), :wink: we slid into Vance's Shooter Supply (at my suggestion). The young guy waiting on me at the gun desk really didn't seem too thrilled to have to wait on me. I pointed that out to the husband after we left (with a $72 CCW purse). I'm not sure some of these guys know how to deal with "chicks with guns"! :? But they REALLY need to get over it, because women shooters are a fast, evergrowing population! 8)
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Willy P

Post by Willy P »

You know, Linda, I have never understood why what you mentioned here happens! I watch it all the time and it seems bread into some individuals. On the other hand the Hunter Ed folks usually tend to bend over backwards for ladies. When I do the BB gun range at the State Fair I always try and get "Mom" up to the counter to shoot also. They listen and hang on every word and are not afraid to stop and ask a question or two. Most of the young girls are easy to teach also. Teenage boys on the other hand are a waste of time to talk to until Mom and Sis are kickin butt and Jr. can't get a BB in the black. Then they might consider listening but before that they know it all.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Willy P wrote:Teenage boys on the other hand are a waste of time to talk to until Mom and Sis are kickin butt and Jr. can't get a BB in the black. Then they might consider listening but before that they know it all.
It's not just teenage boys, Willy. Some men seem to think they have the necessary gun handling coded into their DNA on account of evolution. Perhaps they do -- they seem to handle firearms about as well as the Neanderthal ancesters they want to claim...

I have noticed time and time again how much easier it is to teach women to shoot than men. Maybe that's because women spend their time weeping at chick flix while guys are studying gangster movies... :?
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

I'd rather teach 10 women than 5 men
Angio333

Post by Angio333 »

packin'mom wrote:Here in the Cleveland area my favorite range to go to is Sherwin Shooting Sports in Eastlake. They are really great people! :D
I shoot at Sherwins too. My fiancee is new to shooting and she has had good experiences too.
- C
Angio333

Post by Angio333 »

packin'mom wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote:
packin'mom wrote:Here in the Cleveland area my favorite range to go to is Sherwin Shooting Sports in Eastlake. They are really great people! :D
Hi, Mom,

Have you been to the Stonewall Range near North Royalton? My son has taken his wife a few times and she seems to enjoy shooting there.
As a matter of fact, my husband and I went there with the intention of signing up for their CCW class but they didn't seem very friendly so my husband decided that we would go to Sherwin instead. What is really nice is that they have a ladies night on Fridays. Ladies shoot for half price! My 26 year old son gets a kick out of the fact that his mom can't wait for ladies night at the range! :D
Forgive my intrusion again (since I'm a guy posting in the ladies section)!

Stonewalls can be a great place to shoot. Unfortunately, they have what I call employee problems. Half of them are great. They are helpful, nice, and women friendly.

However, the other half of their employees are just rude and nasy. And thats putting it nicely.
- C
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

Angio333 wrote:
packin'mom wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote: Hi, Mom,

Have you been to the Stonewall Range near North Royalton? My son has taken his wife a few times and she seems to enjoy shooting there.
As a matter of fact, my husband and I went there with the intention of signing up for their CCW class but they didn't seem very friendly so my husband decided that we would go to Sherwin instead. What is really nice is that they have a ladies night on Fridays. Ladies shoot for half price! My 26 year old son gets a kick out of the fact that his mom can't wait for ladies night at the range! :D
Forgive my intrusion again (since I'm a guy posting in the ladies section)!

Stonewalls can be a great place to shoot. Unfortunately, they have what I call employee problems. Half of them are great. They are helpful, nice, and women friendly.

However, the other half of their employees are just rude and nasy. And thats putting it nicely.
We must have been dealing with the rude and nasty ones on the day we went. They had such a snotty attitude that we just didn't want to deal with the place. First impressions are very powerful! I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who felt this way. Thanks for the input Angio! :)
Packin' Mom
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

Mad Duck wrote:I'd rather teach 10 women than 5 men
Interesting, isn't it? Once you get past the typical "Guns - bad!" mindset (no offense to any here), they usually do far better than men. I attribute that to two things. One, they're not trying to prove anything, so they actually pay attention. Two, I beleive generally speaking women have somewhat better fine motor control and eye-hand coordination than men. I'd be interested in your thoughts...
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

AkronGuy32 wrote:Just my opinion of course, but I do know one woman-friendly range in the Medina area. It's called "The Deer Hunter". The woman who sits behind the counter with the men, I think she runs the place, really knows her guns. She even sold me 3 of em last month. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Do you happen to have an address for The Deer Hunter? I might want to check the place out. :)
Packin' Mom
Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

Just to throw in my 2 cents, there are positives and negatives to everywhere. When I was looking for my carry gun we checked out Blackwing first. I will never buy a gun there. The man would not talk to me at all. The one comment he made in reference to me was directed at my husband. He said' So you brought the little woman in this time." I'm sorry, but that alone irriatated me. Then he would only talk to my husband. I will shoot there, but I will never buy a gun. The guys on the range side are great. Only offer help when you ask for it.
Generally I like the powder Room. The guys were willing to talk to me. They didn't say anything to my husband when I was looking at guns, they were focused on me. On the other side, they charge more than other places, and though I know they were trying to help, seemed to force a little too much of their own opionions on me.
Aumiller's in Westerville has good prices, but the customer service is lacking, and they don't have a range.
So when looking for my carry gun, I rented a version of it at the Powder Room then bought it at Aumiller for 40 bucks less, with no chatter from the saleman, but he also seemed to focus on my husband more than me. At least untill I filled out the form and he really realized, it's MY gun.
tbrown9901

Post by tbrown9901 »

My daughter and I go to Target World (north side of Cincinnati). She is treated well whether I go with her or she goes alone.

If I am window shopping at the gun case, I get about five minutes of attention. If SHE'S daydreaming, I have seen the help answer her questions for 30+ minutes. She's 24, 6'0', long blonde hair...wonder if that has anything to do with it.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

tbrown9901 wrote: She's 24, 6'0', long blonde hair...wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Maybe she just tells good stories. Some people are just naturally entertaining (especially young blondes...). 8)
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
SEHK727

Post by SEHK727 »

Angio333 wrote:
packin'mom wrote:
tommcnaughton wrote: Hi, Mom,

Some of the employees there are so very friendly and helpful, the others make me want to get back in my car and drive the 40 minutes to Sherwin. Was just there today, the one employee who rented me a lane seemed to go out of his way to be friendly. The guy who checked me out was rude (ie, I'm the ONLY female there, only 2 other stalls rented out, and he acted like it was rocket science to find my ID) and screamed at me when he couldn't understand my request for 100rds of ..38special practice...what's not to understand there fella...In their defense, in the summer they have ladies day where your first hour is free on a given day of the week.
If Sherwin was closer to me, then I'd probably not go to Stonewall.