REQUEST: Basic (Super Beginner) Pistol Training for my wife.

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Hayden

REQUEST: Basic (Super Beginner) Pistol Training for my wife.

Post by Hayden »

An open request for a trainer to educate my wife on basic pistol shooting.

Some background.
My wife has not grown up in house that has any guns, and when she married me started to understand why it's useful to know about guns and shooting. (I'd say it's "important" but I'll settle for "useful", with her) :)

I really don't want to be the person that teaches her how a gun functions, the basics of safety, the mechanics of aiming, etc..
you see if I teach her, then it adds a dynamic into the lesson that needs not be there.

What I would like is for a kind person to sit down together with my wife, with a pistol and explain the basics.
How it works.
How to aim it.
How to load it.
How to shoot it.
How to make it safe.
Then, to go and shoot a handgun.

In the shooting part, I was thinking shooting some soda-pop cans with a .22, something close and reactive. I loved the way the cans danced about when I hit them.
However, you would be the teacher, so you can ignore me, and teach the way you wish.

I'm not going to request a man or women specifically to teach her, but maybe a women teaching a women could be better. Or that's just another non-issue.
Obviously I will "cross your palm with silver", for your time and efforts.
Additionally I will cover all ammunition, and targets costs.

I have a Walther P22 with a laser sight, and a Walther P99, also with a laser sight that my wife can bring with her.
However, if you as the teacher wish to bring and use your own handgun, if you feel that would be a better teaching tool.

My wife and I live in the Cincinnati area, but I'm willing to drive to you, for a reasonable distance.

I, as the husband give you my promise to remain as silent as a church mouse, and out-of-your-way during your teaching time.

In terms of schedule, weekday evening, or Saturday or Sunday would be preferred. A Sunday being the better of the two weekend days.

Please PM me, if you have the time and opportunity to give education to my wife of the shooting basics.

Many thanks advance.
Hayden.
dirtdawg

Re: REQUEST: Basic (Super Beginner) Pistol Training for my w

Post by dirtdawg »

Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmans Association is hosting an NRA First Steps class next Sunday afternoon. $50 for non-members (includes membership fee).
Dirtdawg
NRA Member, Clinton County Farmer's and Sportsmen Association Director
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Instructor; Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, PPITH
BobK

Post by BobK »

I'd suggest an NRA Basic Pistol course.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

It would cost you a bit of cash but TDI is about 50 Miles east of you. Handgun 1-3 will take her from never having touched a gun to confidence with it..three days and she will be hooked. Also with a bit of work during lunch this will get her CHL class taken care of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
mreising

Post by mreising »

PM sent
The tyrant will always find a pretext for his tyranny

Mark
NRA Training Counselor-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Reloading, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Home Firearms Safety, Chief RSO. NRA Endowment Life member.
pitbullmamaliz

Post by pitbullmamaliz »

Can I just say kudos to you for acknowledging that having you teach her wouldn't be the best option. My ex-husband had been shooting for years, yet he had one of his friends, a range officer at his job, teach me instead. It was much more pleasant. :)
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

Spent 3 hours with Hayden and his wife yesterday. She did a great job and now she's soon to be one of us. :lol: It was a pleasure.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
dynamike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dynamike »

pitbullmamaliz wrote:Can I just say kudos to you for acknowledging that having you teach her wouldn't be the best option. My ex-husband had been shooting for years, yet he had one of his friends, a range officer at his job, teach me instead. It was much more pleasant. :)
^^^What she said.

I've been riding motorcycles for years and have way too many a good relationship stressed/strained by the guy trying to teach his wife to ride.
Mike

I am an engineering statistician, US Submarine Veteran, avid motorcyclist, and staunch supporter of Liberty.

Ohio Director Students for Concealed Carry
bigdan390

Post by bigdan390 »

Yeah!!! More women with guns. I...... like it!

Congratulations to her!!!!!
BigDan390
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Get your legal opinions from a professional.
Mine may not even be worth what you paid for them.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Everyone whom PM'd me with teaching offers I will shortly send you each a personal thank you note.
My wife and I had a very short time on the road, and much to include. Whilst it was nice to have so many offers of help, in the end it was an honest simple case of ATGglobal's schedule matched ours.

I have already thanked ATGglobal via private message, but here I wish to repeat my thanks publicly.

ATGglobal is a wonderful teacher. Clear, patiently explaining to my wonderful wife the basics we've all learnt one time ourselves.

ATGglobal was able to take my wife from an absolute zero, to putting holes in a sheet of paper.
What a superb asset to our shooting community !!

If any readers have a similar situation to mine, you'll do no wrong by using ATGglobal teachings.

I'll let ATGglobal give an own assessment of the afternoon.

Needless to say, my wife a week later took her CCW class.

Let us examine that just for a brief moment. What has been created. That is one more person that "gets it". Another person who understands and gets that we have to take control of our own safety. One more tick has been added to the 'pro gun person' column.
That thank you goes beyond ATGglobal but to everyone on this forum, and to this forum itself. Without which my wife would never have become a new shooter.