Do Girls Need Guns?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DOC

Do Girls Need Guns?

Post by DOC »

Found this on MSN Home page

http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-life/just ... &gt1=32060" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope the link works.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Do Girls Need Guns?

Post by Mustang380gal »

The first gun book I read was authored by Paxton Quigley.

I originally got my license to bolster the numbers, but wasn't really sure I wanted to carry.

After reading her book, I carry, and have since 2004, but was hampered by restrictions in the car. Once the car carry law was tweaked (no more Buckeye Tuck) I am rarely without it.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
BobK

Post by BobK »

Just 4 sentences make a strong point that I completely agree with:
If self-defense expert Paxton Quigley had her way, every woman would be toting a gun around like the latest It bag or iThing. Why? Handguns are the best way for women to protect themselves from violence and rape, says Quigley, who has taught more than 7,000 women how to pull the trigger. For her new book, Armed & Female: Taking Control, she talked to dozens of female victims of violent crime, many of whom said a gun could have prevented the attack.
Come to think of it, that is the same reason I carry. There is a reason one of the classic nicknames for a handgun is "The Equalizer".

"God made men and women, but Samuel Colt made them equal."
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
rDigital

Post by rDigital »

BobK wrote:Just 4 sentences make a strong point that I completely agree with:
If self-defense expert Paxton Quigley had her way, every woman would be toting a gun around like the latest It bag or iThing. Why? Handguns are the best way for women to protect themselves from violence and rape, says Quigley, who has taught more than 7,000 women how to pull the trigger. For her new book, Armed & Female: Taking Control, she talked to dozens of female victims of violent crime, many of whom said a gun could have prevented the attack.
Come to think of it, that is the same reason I carry. There is a reason one of the classic nicknames for a handgun is "The Equalizer".

You can't prevent an attack, but you can end it.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

The question that annoys me most is:
Q: You believe that guns prevent rape. But what if the rapist has a gun, too?
The underlying sentiment being, of course, that if the bad guy is armed, you shouldn't fight back because you might get injured or killed. So...getting injured or killed because you didn't fight back is somehow better? :roll:
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
Hedgelj

Post by Hedgelj »

One of my wife's friends is very anti-gun even in the face of some very close calls (in my opinion anyway) that have occurred to her. Her friend has never brought the subject up to me but when my wife was talking about going to the CHL class and getting the license one of her friend's responses was "having a gun is only going to make matters worse..." My wife didn't have a good answer to that but I told her and I will stand by the comment of "if my gun is coming out, its already about as bad as it could get, i'm in fear for my or your life and well at that point I'm doing all that I can do to make as good of an ending as I can for the situation".
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

sodbuster95 wrote:The question that annoys me most is:
Q: You believe that guns prevent rape. But what if the rapist has a gun, too?
The underlying sentiment being, of course, that if the bad guy is armed, you shouldn't fight back because you might get injured or killed. So...getting injured or killed because you didn't fight back is somehow better? :roll:
Just be sure to shoot first !
Guns have only two enemies, rust & LIBERALS

U.S.Army Veteran, NRA Life, OFCC, Buckeye Firearms.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson
************NOBAMA ***************
GhostOfJefferson

Post by GhostOfJefferson »

BobK wrote:Just 4 sentences make a strong point that I completely agree with:

Outstanding. There is a lot of PC inspired nonsense around these days that a 95 pound woman can send a 250 pound weight lifting man flying through the air with one small kick. Everywhere you look in the popular culture/entertainment you see women on the screen that utterly decimate men in physical combat, heck, now it's become so "true" that they're lowering the bar and showing *little girls* destroying men (Kick butt the movie, anybody?). That kind of thing is outrageous, false and utterly dangerous to women in my opinion. We have to get past this bizarro world fantasy that men and women are equals in physical strength, aggressiveness and combat ability. It is patently false, and women who delude themselves into thinking that they can drop a 6 foot 3 guy with the flick of their wrists and therefor do not need to carry are in severe danger of being horribly beaten, disfigured, raped or murdered by the first evil man they encounter.

We're all capable of being equal in intellect, drive and abilities, excepting the realm of the physical. Like it or not, the average man can take apart the average woman in any physical altercation without busting a sweat. Women, please, carry guns and carry often. Please.
"Oh, Bother," said Pooh, as he slapped in a new magazine and jacked the slide of his 1911A1.
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

GhostOfJefferson wrote:We're all capable of being equal in intellect, drive and abilities, excepting the realm of the physical. Like it or not, the average man can take apart the average woman in any physical altercation without busting a sweat. Women, please, carry guns and carry often. Please.
Heh, you've never met my wife :lol:
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
GhostOfJefferson

Gaspode wrote:
GhostOfJefferson wrote:We're all capable of being equal in intellect, drive and abilities, excepting the realm of the physical. Like it or not, the average man can take apart the average woman in any physical altercation without busting a sweat. Women, please, carry guns and carry often. Please.
Heh, you've never met my wife :lol:
I know you're being humorous. :) If she's big, then find a guy in the same percentile in regards to men and the same statement applies. Consider, I'm speaking of averages, clearly some muscle bound lady who frequents the Ahnold Fitness Festival and benches 300 is the anomaly, but really the exception does not disprove the rule when talking about averages.

I just worry about seeing a world where women think that they're Wonder Woman with super powers and where men are not taught deference to women or even basic respect for women and have no impulse control (as we're being conditioned to accept by the media in my opinion). Combine those two things and you're going to see a bunch of "empowered" women thinking that they can take on any guy in a bar, then ending up in a pool of blood on the sidewalk within minutes of their mistaken assumption. Or worse.

It's just a dangerous path to take. I really really do worry about how women will be treated if this keeps up. This is why I strongly advocate for women to learn how to shoot, especially those that realize that they cannot send a guy twice their size and 10 times more aggressive, flying ten feet through the air with a dainty little kick. The more the kool aid drinkers prevail, the more in danger the sane women become.

All of this is just my opinion, but watch television or movies for any length of time and tell me this isn't the prevailing message being sent.
"Oh, Bother," said Pooh, as he slapped in a new magazine and jacked the slide of his 1911A1.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I figured out I was no match for a man when my oldest son was 13. I wanted him to go to his room for whatever teen-ager smart mouth thing he said, and when he didn't go willingly, I thought I'd get him there myself. I might as well have tried moving the house. He didn't budge. I am not a weakling, and I weighed more than he did, but he didn't want to move, and he didn't.

If he gets bull-headed, I let Ted deal with him. Happily, the current 13 yo boy is not so stubborn.

Estrogen is not a match for testosterone, even in its budding form.
BobK

Post by BobK »

Mustang380gal wrote:Estrogen is not a match for testosterone, even in its budding form.
If you are talking only brute strength, then yes. But when you add in deviousness, a keen understanding of human nature, and the ability to manage human interactions (aka manipulate), I think estrogen usually beats testosterone! :mrgreen:
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

No argument there, Bob!

And pity the poor man on the receiving end!
GhostOfJefferson

BobK wrote:If you are talking only brute strength, then yes. But when you add in deviousness, a keen understanding of human nature, and the ability to manage human interactions (aka manipulate), I think estrogen usually beats testosterone! :mrgreen:
Unfortunately, that is NOT what is being talked about across popular entertainment today. What you cite is the natural order of things, men are strong and protect women, women civilize men, it's a happy symbiosis. Instead it's being turned on its head and sold as women are stronger than men in combat (and smarter, and more clever, and more aware, and more everything) and men are mindless idiots who cannot manage to outsmart the family dog on any given day and are kept around mainly in the capacity of being the butt of jokes, or the person who needs rescued from his own cluelessness.

Very dangerous perceptions to sell, as I said, it's going to cause no small amount of harm to women in the long run.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

GhostOfJefferson wrote:<snip>
Very dangerous perceptions to sell, as I said, it's going to cause no small amount of harm to women in the long run.

It won't do men any good, either.

You've nailed one reason why we don't have TV in our house. The sitcoms with the clueless dad, neither mom nor dad having respect for each other, and mom being outright nasty to dad's face, especially in front of children upset me quite a bit. It was a horribly bad example, which my kids didn't need to see. Neither did I.