Question...can my husband's felony prevent my carrying?

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Question...can my husband's felony prevent my carrying?

Post by willbird »

I'm surprised nobody has suggested the husband get his felony sealed.

There is a process for doing that, if it can be sealed he can own guns and even get a CHL as far as I know ?

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).
ATGglobal
Location: Located somewhere in NEO near the border of PA and WV.

Post by ATGglobal »

willbird wrote:I'm surprised nobody has suggested the husband get his felony sealed.

There is a process for doing that, if it can be sealed he can own guns and even get a CHL as far as I know ?

Bill
I know I'll be corrected if I am wrong (thats why I like this site) but the OP said that her husband was in his early 20's so he would have been tried/convicted as an adult. I think only if he was under 18 he could aim toward getting this sealed.
WARNING! This user at times may inadvertently be in violation of TOS

I can't believe the Officer cuffed me and threw me in the back of his car when I clearly called Shotgun

"With officers laid off and furloughed, simply calling 911 and waiting is no longer your best option," Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ohio CHL, PA LTCF, OPOTA Private Security Firearms Certification, FAB Notation, Range Saftey Officer/Instructor
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

ATGglobal wrote:
willbird wrote:I'm surprised nobody has suggested the husband get his felony sealed.

Bill
I know I'll be corrected if I am wrong (thats why I like this site) but the OP said that her husband was in his early 20's so he would have been tried/convicted as an adult. I think only if he was under 18 he could aim toward getting this sealed.
I'm sorry that is completely incorrect, far more than 1 frequent poster at OFCC has gotten an adult record sealed.

There are some limits...if the person had a string of convictions it may not be possible...but 1-2 indiscretions can be sealed, DUI along the way count as indiscretions however. I know a man who is in his 60's now who had an armed robbery conviction expunged (may have long enough ago that Ohio had expungement)

Bill
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

willbird wrote:
ATGglobal wrote:

Bill
I'm sorry that is completely incorrect, far more than 1 frequent poster at OFCC has gotten an adult record sealed.

There are some limits...if the person had a string of convictions it may not be possible...but 1-2 indiscretions can be sealed, DUI along the way count as indiscretions however. I know a man who is in his 60's now who had an armed robbery conviction expunged (may have long enough ago that Ohio had expungement)

Bill
I had a young man come up at the show saying a friend had 6 DUI's in the past two years.. I didn't know how to address that other than say get a lawyer...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
OhioPaints

Post by OhioPaints »

pleasantguywhopacks wrote: I had a young man come up at the show saying a friend had 6 DUI's in the past two years.. I didn't know how to address that other than say get a lawyer...

How about "sober up" and "mature"? How about "guns are restricted to responsible individuals"?

Six DUIs in two years? And wants a gun? Scary.

Why isn't he incarcerated with a record like that? I would think he already has a lawyer if he is walking the streets.

Ken
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

Bill
My ex-husband had a felony conviction (he was an adult when he got it) and he got the conviction expunged. He was allowed to own handguns but was not able to get his CHL. They rejected his application in spite of the expungement.
Packin' Mom
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

packin'mom wrote:

Bill
My ex-husband had a felony conviction (he was an adult when he got it) and he got the conviction expunged. He was allowed to own handguns but was not able to get his CHL. They rejected his application in spite of the expungement.
Some crimes might preclude a CHL even with sealing ?

Bill
BobK

Post by BobK »

packin'mom wrote:My ex-husband had a felony conviction (he was an adult when he got it) and he got the conviction expunged. He was allowed to own handguns but was not able to get his CHL. They rejected his application in spite of the expungement.
They have changed the law. He should reapply, since he would get it now.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
packin'mom

Post by packin'mom »

BobK wrote:
packin'mom wrote:My ex-husband had a felony conviction (he was an adult when he got it) and he got the conviction expunged. He was allowed to own handguns but was not able to get his CHL. They rejected his application in spite of the expungement.
Believe me, he's the LAST person on earth that should have a CHL! I'm glad they rejected his application. Also, on the application it asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony...he put "no" since his record had been expunged. They stated that he had lied on his app so fortunately, he will never get a permit.
Packin' Mom
willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

packin'mom wrote:
BobK wrote:
Believe me, he's the LAST person on earth that should have a CHL! I'm glad they rejected his application. Also, on the application it asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony...he put "no" since his record had been expunged. They stated that he had lied on his app so fortunately, he will never get a permit.
Well it seems this is an emotionally charged topic ;-). BUT in many cases (maybe not the CHL application) if you have a felony expunged, you truly can and should answer "no" on things like job applications, and people do ask here how they should answer after their records are sealed....so there is some confusion.
ohiodeerhunter21

Post by ohiodeerhunter21 »

Bill
Even with an expunged/sealed record I dont think you can get a ccw permit.
BobK

Post by BobK »

ohiodeerhunter21 wrote:Even with an expunged/sealed record I dont think you can get a ccw permit.
Not true. Sealing the record has two impacts. First it removes the federal disqualifier that normally attaches to a felony. Second, the offense can no longer be considered when qualifying for a CHL -- it is as if the conviction never happened.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?