Female Looking for Assistance

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Linda

Post by Linda »

OK, you've heard from the guys, now you get the female perspective from one who has carried since CCW (and subsequently become an instructor) became law in April 2004.

First off caliber...,I am a firm believer in the caliber should start with a "4". .40, .44 or a .45. 9mm at the min. As a woman, we need to make sure that what we carry has enough knock down power, along with proper bullet placement!! We don't want to merely make the bad guy mad, and then we've got a physical fight on our hands.

As far as recoil...,Recoil is not something to fear. It is part of the physics of shooting a firearm and as soon as it is understood, you will accept it as just that. I carry a .45. I recently bought a Ruger .22 just for plinking and instructional purposes. Although I enjoy shooting the Ruger, and love the price of ammo for it, I still prefer to shoot the .45. I enjoy the recoil. With a lot of practice, recoil will become second nature and an accepted part of shooting.

Revolver vs semi automatic. I personally think a revolver would be a poor choice for carrying. One.., size, harder to conceal. Two, reloading. With a semi, you drop out the magazine to the ground and jamb another one in, in a matter of seconds. With a child around, the 1911 versions have several safeties. The beaver tail is probably the best one. Small hands should not be able to push in the beavertail and pull the trigger at the same time.

Child education is by far your best bet in keeping your child safe from firearms. It is extremely important to satisfy their curiousity under your supervision. Let them touch, exam, handle your UNLOADED firearm. Let them help clean it. Teach them the safety rules in handling a firearm that you are currently learning in your CCW class. Let them see what kind of hole it puts thru something when shot. And when you think he/she is ready, let them shoot a low caliber gun. Always under the supervision of an experienced shooter.

How to carry...,It took me a year and a half to finally settle into a comfortable way to carry. I discovered the Kramer Leather IWB sheepskin lined holster. The most comfortable holster I could ever imagine for an IWB. I am ashamed to say I carried in an Uncle Mike's for way too long. I'm surprised it never fell out on the floor on me. I have a holster purse. Why? Because it's a great leather purse. Would I ever put my gun in it? NO! Bad guy grabs your purse, now he's got your firearm too! The holster fanny packs are great for biking, walking, etc., but I'm just not a fanny pack type of gal!

Frame size of the firearm...,I carry a Colt Defender. Light weight, cast aluminum, 3" barrel. My husband carries a Kimber Eclispe. Identical size to mine, but steel barrel. I had to carry his for a couple months due to repairs on mine. The additional added weight of his was a killer to carry. I was SO happy when I got mine back. You wouldn't think 8 oz. or so would make that much difference, but it does. I am not a small woman, but I can conceal mine while wearing a tank top and shorts. You learn to dress around your gun, and it isn't that difficult to do. With practice, I don't buy into those who say that you should carry a 4" or longer gun for accuracy. Practice, practice and then practice some more, on a regular basis!!

Price of the handgun....,buy the BEST quality gun you can afford! Your life may depend on it, and how do you put a price on your life? You should be able to find deals on a great quality used firearm.

Good luck in getting your CHL (concealed handgun license)! Remember, never call it a "permit"!! :wink:

Carry, carry safely and carry always!! :D
"Women must not depend upon the protection of man, but must be taught to protect herself."
Susan B. Anthony~July 1871
Rev's Wife

Post by Rev's Wife »

First, congratulations on your accomplishment and I am glad you are taking action to protect yourself. I carry a Kel-Tec .380 which is compact, easy to carry and I find easy to practice with.

I also like my S&W Chief Special 9mm. This was my first gun and the first one I shot at a range. Easy to aim, easy to shoot.

I have had to try different ways to carry but I have a belt holster that clips on my belt and is relatively easy to conceal. I have ordered a waist pouch for when I can not use the clip holster but it has not arrived yet. My Kel-Tec is nice as it fits in a purse as well and the purse I carry is not that large.

Welcome aboard! Lea ann
Life is short, handle with prayer and a good handgun at your side.
italian biker

Post by italian biker »

I would like to state that I have a Taurus semi auto and have no worries about carrying it and its reliability. Mine is 40 calibre. One thing you can do is go to a good range that rents firearms and try a few differen't ones. Which ever one gives you the combination of accuracy and comfort level in size of grip, power, etc...., is the one to choose. There are plenty in your price range. Also, if you're going to be carrying in a holster on your person, there are certain companies that make belt holsters geared towards a woman's shape.
Other ladies here can probably help you with holster selection.
PETA members know it's safer to harass old ladies wearing fur then to harass bikers wearing leather.
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

Smith & Wesson makes a very nice 9mm semiauto called the "Lady Smith".

Also please note that when looking at Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Prices on gun sites that most dealers will actually have prices 20-25% less than MSRP, sometimes lower.
xfileluv

Post by xfileluv »

Checking back in to read page 2 of the replies!

Linda, I had the same thought this past weekend about the purse. I looked at some online and decided that it won't do me any good if it gets snatched. Plus, there's a good chance that someone accosting me would ask to handed my purse before anything else. I'd rather toss my purse and reach for my gun at the same time!

I'm off to do more research based upon the lastest posts. Thanks a million! :D
Rev's Wife

Post by Rev's Wife »

I just purchased a leather purse with a concealed gun pocket--I'll let you know how I like it. I carry my purse around my neck, not just on a shoulder so they will have trouble trying to steal it. The issue of how to carry has been harder for me to solve than the issue of what to carry. I really like my KelTec .380 because of the size.

Keep researching, keep trying and keep up the good work! You're a great mom for wanting to protect your family and yourself.

Lea Ann
Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

My carry weapon of choice is a Taurus 605 .357 magnum 5 shot 2" snub nose revolver. I had tried a decent selection of semi autos, including trying my husbands. My argument against a revolver was how could I conceal it. That answer is surprisingly well. I have an Uncle Mikes IWB holster that holds the grip right about the curve of my hip. It's blends in with the natural shape of my body (even the cylindar hides well) and is pretty hard to detect. I chase after 3 kids ages 5 and under, and haven't had a problem with it.
If you go with a snubby revolver here is my advice: Make sure the grips fit your hand. I tried one at the range with a short grip and it dug into my hand like crazy and hurt really bad. The one I bought has a longer grip which curves into my palm. Very nice for my small hands.
The Taurus cost right around $300. So it really wasn't bad.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Lea Ann,

Which purse did you get that you can carry it around your neck?

That's how I prefer to carry mine as well, and I am thinking about getting one that fits my handgun.

I'm thinking about one of the Coronados.

Linda (the other one)
Mad Duck

Post by Mad Duck »

Well since it is your first, it may be a trade off on what you can enjoy shooting at the range, & carry as well.
Of course those that know me, Know I am a big fan of the Browning High Power (9mm)
It is slim easy to carry, & a few ounces lighter than a 1911

They are also made by FM in both a fullsize & a detective model (shorter barrel) with a little digging you might find one in the 300-350 bracket

Charles Daly (KBI) imported them from Hungery The CD's are around 400, the KBI models around 300 (not as smooth as a Browning but they get the job done)

FN also imported them although they are around 400-500
The Brownings are going for 550 and up

Remember you might possiblely be beting your life on this gun, that being said don't cut corners.
Rev's Wife

Post by Rev's Wife »

To the other Linda:

My purse is a Roma Collection Concealment Purse. I got it at Target World in Cincinnati. On the firearm pocket it has a zipper that is a locking zipper. The sticker on the tag has a number of 7032. The tag also has a website: www.romaconceal.com and a phone number of 1-800-998-7662. They had a couple of different styles that could go around your neck at the store but I liked this one as it has a bit more room than the other one. Hope this helps!

Lea Ann
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Lea Ann,

Those are really nice purses!

Do you find it bulky while it's slung around your neck, or is it comfortable that way?

Thank you!!

Linda
Rev's Wife

Post by Rev's Wife »

I don't find it is that bulky, although I don't put that much stuff in mine either. I like the cell phone pocket and the smaller pocket on the front to put little things in--it's quite handy. The strap on mine is like a belt and buckle with little holes punched in it to tighten and loosen it. I just put it out to the last one to make it easier to put around my neck. The concealment pocket zipper is then right there at my right hand if needed. I just make sure I unlock the zipper when I get out of my vehicle.

I just received today a handgun fanny pack (also made by Roma) that I purchased from Cheif Supply. It is nylon with a holster pocket like my purse. I'll let you know how I like that. I bought it with longer trips in mind such as going to a park, zoo, picnic, etc.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

At least from the photos, I think that the Roma purses look more stylish. My husband liked them, too.

I'm hoping that the range in New Albany carries both Coronado and Roma, so I can compare. Roma has a dealer in Youngstown, so if NA doesn't have any, I may be taking a trip to Y'town.

Thanks, Lea Ann!

Linda
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

http://www.red-diamond-unif.com/

A great place for holsters/fanny packs/purses....
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

If I may second Jake about Red Diamond.... Dunno about the ladies stuff though. MCP that I am, I didn't look :oops: .

If you don't know the area there's a little plaza at Mahoning and Raccoon....

Actually there are two little plazas there on the same property. The one parallel to Mahoning - K-Mart or something like that in there - isn't it....

There's a little one - sort of "behind" the Arthur Treacher's - that's parallel to Raccoon. Red Diamond's on the North end....

They've got everything but guns....

(Arthur Treacher's has halfway decent fish too....)

(Head East on Mahoning from the Austintown Route 11 exit. Raccoon is the next major interesection. Lots of little stuff in between - two or three miles. Treacher's is on the right and there's an Arby's on the left just as you get there.)

They've also got a "trash table" - generally holsters they couldn't sell "first line". Worth a look....

(Note: I have no connection with them. I spent about $15 there when I found them. Could have spent more but sanity kicked in. :D )

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם