Female Looking for Assistance

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Well, I e-mailed the New Albany range to see if they had what I want to see. No answer.

I found Red Diamond while googling Roma leather. (All sorts of stuff about Rome and the pope came up, too.)

Hubby told me I could pick the place I wanted to shop. So far Y'town is winning. I will print off the directions. Thanks!

And since these Romas are a lot less expensive than Coronado, maybe hubby will get me 2!

Linda
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Email Red Diamond with the specifics of what you're looking for(peruse the web site) and ask if it's in stock. Or...go and browse...that's fun too.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NavyChief
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by NavyChief »

All this talk of various handbags and such reminds me of something. (I'm really not hijacking the thread - it's sort of geramaine to the topic at hand.) I remember years ago that one of the better-known leather makers - Coronado, IIRC but I could be mistaken - had incorporated an additional feature into the straps of their handbags. Specifically two strands of very fine piano wire. The logic was that since many "snatch'n'grabs" involved the goblin running up from behind with a knife or box cutter, slashing the shoulder strap while grabbing the purse then engaging warp drive this put a real crimp in their plans. Did this only exist in my overactive imagination? I've looked high and low for this feature and can't find anyone doing it - or at least mentioning it - these days. Just seems like a great idea, and not just for handbags - seems like it'd be nice little "value added" for fanny packs or any other product utilizing some sort of strap as well.
Total repeal of ALL firearms/weapons laws at the local, state and federal levels. Period. Wipe the slate clean.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

I don't know if they did that or not, but boy, would it be a good idea, NC!

I'll have to ask whenever we finally get to shop.

I also am gonna make sure that where the strap attaches to the body part that it is riveted or otherwise very secure.

Linda
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Mustang380gal wrote:I don't know if they did that or not, but boy, would it be a good idea, NC!

I'll have to ask whenever we finally get to shop.

I also am gonna make sure that where the strap attaches to the body part that it is riveted or otherwise very secure.

Linda
I remember when this was talked about .

I think one company might have done it for a while.

I think they quit out of fear of liability if the perp should happen to grab and wind up the bag instead of cutting the strap and making off with it.

In the end I think there was too much fear of what would happen to a woman who had this happen while whe was wearing the purse over her neck and shoulder instead of just over her shoulder! Think of the cartridge box or haversack carry instead of the slung rifle carry.

Buckshot
OhioPaints

I don't recommend very lightweight handguns

Post by OhioPaints »

Welcome to the forum and to ccw!

A few suggestions on handgun selection: find something that you are comfortable with and WILL PRACTICE with! Particularly as a new shooter, you need lots of shooting experience.

While I agree with some that I enjoy some recoil, you may not and recoil can be discouraging for new shooters.

Lightweight guns will have a lot more recoil than a normal one. I know a well experienced fellow who bought one of the very lightweight scandium revolvers for ccw but didn't even want to try shooting it! Bad idea!

So, I suggest that you stay away from lightweight guns for now. Really, a small steel or stainless 5 shot 38/357 is very reasonable to shoot, and easy to carry and conceal. I know that it seems that revolvers must be harder to conceal but I have a 3" steel Taurus 605 that conceals easy, I don't feel the weight, and it shoots easily. A 357 revolver can use 38 special ammo for practice and you can then use 38 special +P or 357 ammo for defensive use. And 357 ammo is very effective, probably as good as any caliber and better than most.

The drawback to a 5 shot revolver is that you only have 5 shots. BUT I believe that is probably enough for 99.9% of all CCW use. This gun is to protect you and keep you out of trouble. You are not a cop who has to pursue and arrest a group of thugs.

I have been shooting for over ten years and have a modest gun collection including some small semi-autos. My wife and I both got our CCWs in May and after trying a number of guns, she bought a 5 shot LadySmith revolver. She is very happy with it.

Hope this helps some.

Ken
Uller

my 2 cents

Post by Uller »

I bought my wife a Springfield XD-9 mm subcompact. When I was showing her how to hold it at the range I noticed hey this is really a sweet weapon and wound up buying one for myself. I use mine for concealed carry all the time even found a fobus ankle holster for it.

Even hardcore Cult of Glock-heads admit it is a nice competitor series of guns. The Springfield XD's are available in many common handgun calibers and sizes. They are acknowledged on many forums boards by the "experts" (Glock-heads and non Glocksters alike) as feeling more natural and being more durable than most competition and are often held up in comparison to Sigs, other maunfacturers model 1911's, and yes ... even glocks.

I invite you to try one for yourself. All you glock-a-holics be nice and let the lady decide for herself. :D
"The avalanche has already begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote". - Kosh Naranek
eseemann

Post by eseemann »

So, what type of gun did you decide on? My first gun was a Taurus 38 snub nose. It's okay for firing if you can pull the hammer back but to just pull the trigger over and over wore a hole in the side of my thumb! I tried and bought a Rossi Amadeo 38 with a longer nose and it's a joy to fire that gun. It's like shooting a cap gun, no pain. After my Taurus 38 I bought a Remington 870 Express Shotgun for home protection, works great as a deer gun also, and I bought a Taurus PT111 9mm that is nice to shoot.

So, what did you end up getting?
Load on Sundays and shoot all week long!
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Mr. Glock »

Holy super-old threat alert, Batman! I saw Dan Sayers name and wondered if it was April 1st.
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member