Impossible to carry!!!

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

holly

Impossible to carry!!!

Post by holly »

I'm new to this forum. My husband passed the link on to me. I have a Glock 19, and there is no way I'm going to be able to carry this thing unless it's in my purse---which makes it almost useless in an actual altercation. Plus, if my purse gets snatched---I don't want my firearm to go with it. Women's clothing simply doesn't allow for extra bulk. I don't want to loose my femininity just so I can carry something that MAY be needed, but will probably never be used in my lifetime unless at a range. A smaller gun is too hard to handle---I want to be able to hit my target if I ever have one to aim at one. I'm a small, thin woman. I wear form fitting clothes---including dresses and skirts on a regular basis. They're not revealing, but all women's clothing (unless you're heavy) is form fitting. Unless I'm wearing a winter coat and can stick it in my pocket---I don't see how I will ever be able to actually carry this thing effectively and have it be livable and concealed. There is no holster on the market (and I don't think there every will be because just holding my gun against me without a holster I can see it'll never be really hidden or comfortable enough to live with). I'm sorry, I know that I sound {inappropriate language}, I'm just frustrated. We're not living in a militant situation, so it just seems silly to change how my appearance is to carry a heavy, bulky weapon around. Although on the other hand, I really wish that I was able to carry my firearm with me so I did have it if I needed it. It's a frustrating situation.
sdelam

Re: Impossible to carry!!!

Post by sdelam »

Carrying a firearm is a trade off, what is the largest/smallest gun you can conceal and still shoot well enough to hit a person at under 20 feet. You do not need to be able to make one hole groups to be able to defend yourself. My wife has the same concerns as you and has yet to find the perfect trade off for her. Just remeber that even though a firearm may not be the most comfortable range gun, it would be better to have a small gun that you are willing to carry than a big gun that you leave at home.

Think of a small .380 (P3AT, LCP, P238, etc) like a donut spare tire. Nobody wants to use those little tires but they would rather carry one of those than give up trunk space for a full sized tire that they may never use.

A .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in the safe.
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I do not envy your position -- this is much, much tougher for a woman than for a man, and I don't need to be a woman to see that as a guy, I have it pretty easy. (we can look sloppy and it's almost expected!)

I would be of the opinion that you discount purse carry a little quicker than I would. Let me see if I can present that in a way that helps a bit...

If you are purse carrying and you happen to be in a high risk (or at least higher risk than usual) place such as a parking garage or a parking lot at night, somewhere you are alone and not right in the mix of a lot of people) you can purse carry with your hand on the weapon. Does that sound extreme? It might be... might not, depending on your perspective. They even build carry-specific purses with a hidden compartment right in the middle of the bag, accessed from the end that do an even better job of concealing and drawing. Not that you'd walk around for 9 hours during your workday wearing a purse with your hand on the weapon -- but you certainly could have your hand on it as you traverse a parking lot.

As for having a purse snatched and losing a handgun -- that would not be fun... but if the snatcher does a grab & run, at least you are not in physical danger of being attacked as he is leaving.

Try http://www.corneredcat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for a woman's perspective on any/all issues regarding to carry, shooting, selecting, holsters, and more than I can even describe in one sentence. Cathy Jackson's site is a wealth of information for all women in this game. The whole site is a terrific resource, but the specific area regarding on-person carry can be found here: http://www.corneredcat.com/Holster/howhide.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck and keep trying and keep bouncing questions off the forum.
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
BobK

Post by BobK »

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!

A Glock 19 is considered a full size "service weapon", meaning it is designed to be carried on a gunbelt in a holster for everyday service, the most common example being a uniformed policeman.

There is a reason that all the gun manufacturers are designing small, concealable weapons to meet the huge demand that has been created with 40-some states having "shall-issue" concealed carry. With over 5 million concealed carry licensees creating a market, most everyone has realized a smaller concealable handgun that a person is actually willing to carry everyday makes a lot of sense. We are not uniformed police, and we have different needs.

Smaller handguns can definitely shoot accurately enough to meet self defense needs. They are also made in all the common self defense calibers. For example, a Kahr PM9 is a small handgun that shoots well and is also a 9mm. A S&W J-frame revolver is also small and concealable in .38 special. There are also a huge number of .380 ACP handguns.

I'd suggest renting or borrowing some smaller handguns and trying some range time. It is obvious from your post that a Glock 19 might be a great nightstand handgun for you but it won't work for everyday life.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
McM

Post by McM »

BobK wrote: A Glock 19 is considered a full size "service weapon", meaning it is designed to be carried on a gunbelt in a holster for everyday service, the most common example being a uniformed policeman.
Point of clarification... The Glock 19 is the 'compact' 9mm Glock. The Glock 17 is the 'full size service weapon'.

That being said, the G19 is probably still too large for a average sized, 'feminine dressing' female to conceal w/o a cover garment.
Not one of the " 'more-equal animals' ".

Hippies make me laugh. Bleeding hippies make me laugh REALLY HARD! -Morne
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I like Sevens' comments. Don't discount purse carry just yet. With the right level of awareness, you may be able to have quicker access to your gun that someone carrying holstered.

Having said that, if you do purse carry, make sure you carry the purse so that the strap crosses your body rather than sits on one shoulder. This makes it harder to have the purse "snatched." Have the purse positioned under your strong side so that your weak hand can hold the purse as you draw. Either get a purse that is designed for carrying a gun or modify your purse by getting a holster that will attach to a pocket inside your purse. You want the gun to be positioned well and clear of any "purse debris."

In other words, I think "impossible" might be a bit strong! ;)
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

McM wrote: Point of clarification... The Glock 19 is the 'compact' 9mm Glock. The Glock 17 is the 'full size service weapon'.
You are correct. However, Glock makes an even smaller 9mm pistol -- the Glock 26. It's still the size (and shape... 8) ) of a small brick, but it makes concealment a bit easier.

BTW, I second the recommendation for The Cornered Cat. Sometimes women respond better to advice from women.

Welcome to our forums! :D
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
ITFlyer

Post by ITFlyer »

I have a 26 already (I'm the husband)...still far too big for her. I had someone recommend a Kel-Tech PF-9, but to me that gun looks like a piece of junk. I don't want her to go down to a .380, so I think I will get her to look at a Kahr PM9 and see what she thinks of it.
jdmsds

Post by jdmsds »

Check out the Kel tec, it's not the piece of junk you're thinking it is......
captainstormy

Post by captainstormy »

It is harder for women to carry then men. Not only are they usually smaller (which makes it harder to carry all but the smallest guns) but their clothes are much more form fitting then guys clothes.

A G19 is probably gonna be to large for most women to carry easily. Try finding a smaller gun, I know they make a lot of them. I don't know much about them though. I see em in the gun shops but they are way to small for me.
I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Bernard Books(John Wayne in The Shootist)
true_pair

Post by true_pair »

ITFlyer wrote:I have a 26 already (I'm the husband)...still far too big for her. I had someone recommend a Kel-Tech PF-9, but to me that gun looks like a piece of junk. I don't want her to go down to a .380, so I think I will get her to look at a Kahr PM9 and see what she thinks of it.
There has been a lot of discussion about the effectiveness of the caliber and obvious fact is that that a bigger bullet will make a bigger hole however if the choice is not carrying a 9mm because the gun is too big and carrying a 380 because it fits I would think 380 would a way to go. Heck look at Beretta .32 Tomcat as well. Kahr PM9 is a good gun but if it turns out to be too big consider smaller calibers. Just my 2 cents
"The great object is, that every man be armed"

-- Patrick Henry, speech of June 14 1788
sdelam

Post by sdelam »

My wife has a Kahr CW9, which is similar to the PM9 I believe. It has a long trigger pull and is even harder to shoot than a Glock. Also the slide is very hard to operate. It is thinner than a glock since it has a single stack magazine, but at $40 a mag, we dont have have many extras.
holly

Post by holly »

Thank you everyone for your responses. Like my hubby said, I think we're going to try the Kahr PM9 and see how I like it. Something thinner would definitely help, but I'm still worried that I won't be able to shoot well enough with it and it'll be pointless. I guess we'll see about that though. I'm a fairly good shot, so if I just have to hit anywhere on piece of paper---I might be ok with it. It'll just be disappointing after hitting bulls-eyes with my Glock 19. I'm getting quite fond of it too. All I want to do is go shooting now. I've become quite obsessed since I was introduced to it. I love my gun!!! (My former self would have not believed I just said that!)
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

holly wrote:Something thinner would definitely help, but I'm still worried that I won't be able to shoot well enough with it and it'll be pointless. I guess we'll see about that though.
Yep, it's all about doing what you can. If you can drive tacks with a G19 but you can't carry a G19 and it stays at home on the top shelf of the closet, the bad guy downtown won't be impressed with your group size if you aren't carrying a handgun at all. If a CW9 isn't as easy for you to shoot small groups with but you can hit a man sized target then that's where you start and practice until you get better.

Besides, working with a new pistol and conquering it and becoming proficient with it is half the fun anyway!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

holly wrote:Thank you everyone for your responses. Like my hubby said, I think we're going to try the Kahr PM9 and see how I like it. Something thinner would definitely help, but I'm still worried that I won't be able to shoot well enough with it and it'll be pointless. I guess we'll see about that though. I'm a fairly good shot, so if I just have to hit anywhere on piece of paper---I might be ok with it. It'll just be disappointing after hitting bulls-eyes with my Glock 19. I'm getting quite fond of it too. All I want to do is go shooting now. I've become quite obsessed since I was introduced to it. I love my gun!!! (My former self would have not believed I just said that!)
Slowly work your way down in size of guns. Your shooting will get better and your carry load will get lighter. :wink:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA