So a female friend of mine wants help....

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

Thanks for all the suggestions all. She bailed on me about going to the range. But when I see her again we'll discuss it more. At some point we're going out gun shopping (yay!) or so she says anyway.
Her b/f already has a couple guns, mostly rifles though. He's the kind of guy who will buy her anything she want's no matter how pink and girly anyway. They are very impressed by my CHL. He was mainly put off by the general cost of the licsense including the class. My response was how can you put a price on safety?....
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

Ms357 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions all. She bailed on me about going to the range. But when I see her again we'll discuss it more. At some point we're going out gun shopping (yay!) or so she says anyway.
Her b/f already has a couple guns, mostly rifles though. He's the kind of guy who will buy her anything she want's no matter how pink and girly anyway. They are very impressed by my CHL. He was mainly put off by the general cost of the licsense including the class. My response was how can you put a price on safety?....
Two things on this: (1) There are a lot of cheaper places to get a class lately- I've seen several FREE classes, and several free-to-women or severely discounted for women or husband/wife bf/gf combos.

(2) You CAN'T put a price on safety. :D

(Well, technically, you CAN put a price tag on anything out there... I think your point was more that you should care less about the cost than about the fact that you need to be safe.)
Last edited by LeiraHoward on Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MySQLQuery

Post by MySQLQuery »

LeiraHoward wrote:
Two things on this: (1) There are a lot of cheaper places to get a class lately- I've seen several FREE classes, and several free-to-women or severely discounted for women or husband/wife bf/gf combos.

(2) You CAN'T put a price on safety. :D
Why not? We did. Neither Mz357, nor I, were able to even CONSIDER taking one of the many ~$200 classes out here. Heck, we didn't go, till Feb of this year, when I found the Mechanicsburg one for $60 or so. :)
Where's the best place to apply for your CHL?
Find out at http://ccwhen.com!
The world is cold, but, bold men take action.
Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

My point was safety is important. There is a point when you can say too much, maybe I'm going overboard. But we didn't discard safety. We found a cheaper class.
So I showed her the lady smith and Taurus' line of pink guns. She was thrilled. Her b/f was less than thrilled. :? oops.
Apparently she really does like the revolvers especially the lady smith revolvers. But she really loved the pink mother of pearl grip Taurus pistols.
She also spent a good bit of time looking for a pink rifle. Yes. Now she wants a pink rifle. Anyone know of one? I'm sure her b/f will love that too. :roll:
I just found out today she is only 19. I coulda swore she was at least 22-23, but apparently I am way off on my guess. She won't be able to get a handgun for a few years yet.
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Ms357 wrote: So I showed her the lady smith and Taurus' line of pink guns. She was thrilled. Her b/f was less than thrilled. :? oops.
Apparently she really does like the revolvers especially the lady smith revolvers. But she really loved the pink mother of pearl grip Taurus pistols.
I gave my oldest daughter my Taurus Model 85. It's not an S&W 3913 nor pink, but she is happy with it. You mainly need to find a gun small enough to fit a lady's hand, yet heavy enough to help reduce the felt recoil.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Ms357 wrote:My point was safety is important. There is a point when you can say too much, maybe I'm going overboard. But we didn't discard safety. We found a cheaper class.
So I showed her the lady smith and Taurus' line of pink guns. She was thrilled. Her b/f was less than thrilled. :? oops.
She also spent a good bit of time looking for a pink rifle. Yes. Now she wants a pink rifle. Anyone know of one? I'm sure her b/f will love that too. :roll:
I just found out today she is only 19. I coulda swore she was at least 22-23, but apparently I am way off on my guess. She won't be able to get a handgun for a few years yet.
Friend of mine just got his daughter a pink Chipmunk rifle. Little single shot with peep sights.

Actually, only the stock is pink, the metal is stainless.

They could do this with any .22 rifle, pick one with a synthetic stock and paint the stock. Choose blue steel or stainless steel ahead of time then paint up the synthetic (or even hardwood stock) with the pink paint of their choice.

Buckshot
Uller

a girl's eye view of choices

Post by Uller »

Its been my experience that there are 4 cornerstones to getting a lady to try handguns. First and foremost always seems to be appearance, sadly this is the least important aspect of a good gun choice.

The other three factors that can immediate turn a girl off to guns are strength issues. Intelligent presentation can derail these issues, hopefully.

1. Recoil (or the anticipation therof) this is most intimidating to the new shooter (male or female). PREPARE them for it but don't overwhelm. Intelligent conversation and patience at the range go a long way.

2. Semi-auto's - racking. It can be very frustrating if a handgun takes too much strength to rack. Again patience is the watchword.

3. Trigger pull. Believe it or not this DOES make a difference. A female friend of mine absolutely loves her modified trigger pull on a S&W 38 she owns. She says it makes a world of difference to her.

Keep telling your girl that getting her to enjoy shooting can be a positive thing. After all the "quality time together" factor works for me and my wife! She gets tighter groupings than I do!
"The avalanche has already begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote". - Kosh Naranek
Uller

trial and error

Post by Uller »

Just bought a Smith and Wesson model 637 airweight. If i had to introduce a new shooter I'd loan her that gun to try out at the local range. Its so light and a simple 5 shot revolver its a true delight to shoot.

Trial and error is the way to find a handgun that "fits" you. Some ranges like B&T here in Lorain offer rentals so you can try various calibers before you buy.
"The avalanche has already begun, it is too late for the pebbles to vote". - Kosh Naranek
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Uller:

Might be just me, but I wouldn't give an airweight to a new shooter without some real light range loads to try first. It's a great carry, but may not be a good shooting experience the first time out.

I'm not necessarily recommending .22's, but a fairly large 9mm (the Beretta 92 is a good choice) may be where to start. Once the new shooter gets comfortable with that, it's time to try the lightweights.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם