Female Friendly CHL Class

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Female Friendly CHL Class

Post by ScottyPotty »

My wife and a friend is looking for a female friendly class in the Akron area. Both my wife and her friend do not have much experience with firearms and I'm looking suggestions on a female friendly class.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
Mr. Glock
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Female Friendly CHL Class

Post by Mr. Glock »

Shoot a pm to Contenderman...he might know of something or have such a class himself (he does the NRA Women on Target stuff as well).
OFCC Patron, GOA, SAF, YouTube 2A Patreon, NRA Benefactor Life & Hot Stove League Member
Lamb9c

Post by Lamb9c »

You might want to check out Pro Gun in Cuyahoga Falls. I'm planning on going there for the next CCW class on Feb. 27/Mar. 2 Obviously not being able to speak from experiance, but I've heard really good things about the instructor who comes to teach it, Dan Clevanger. Feb. 27th (Sat) is an all-day classroom portion, and then March 2nd (Tues. evening) is the live fire

I dunno how soon you all are planning on signing up, but if it's after I complete the class I can give some feedback.
S&W M&P 9c
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Scotty,

If you aren't averse to coming to Salem, we've had quite a few women in our classes. I am the instructor so I am a bit biased. However, if you contact Jake, he can maybe provide you with some feedback about how our new women shooters have felt about my classes.

For myself, I will never do a "women's only" course. I understand the premise, but I don't agree with it. I think the benefits of a mixed class, handled the right way, far outweigh any "comfort" benefits a women only class would provide.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

charben wrote:Scotty,

If you aren't averse to coming to Salem, we've had quite a few women in our classes. I am the instructor so I am a bit biased. However, if you contact Jake, he can maybe provide you with some feedback about how our new women shooters have felt about my classes.

For myself, I will never do a "women's only" course. I understand the premise, but I don't agree with it. I think the benefits of a mixed class, handled the right way, far outweigh any "comfort" benefits a women only class would provide.
is the one day class on Fed. 28th?
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader. Samuel Adams
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

ScottyPotty wrote:
charben wrote:Scotty,

is the one day class on Fed. 28th?
Yep.
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

if you contact Jake, he can maybe provide you with some feedback about how our new women shooters have felt about my classes.
Do you mean after the sexual harassment suit was settled...or before?

Kidding.....KIDDING! :shock:
Chris puts on a great class.
If anyone is interested, please pm me for more details.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

It must be a "thing". My wife said she wanted to take the class but with a female instructor. Any suggestions will be blessed.
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Jake wrote:
if you contact Jake, he can maybe provide you with some feedback about how our new women shooters have felt about my classes.

Anybody that sexually harasses anyone that they know is armed deserves whatever they get.
If for nothing else but the shear stupidity.
I'm reminded of what happened to Brando in "Last Tango In Paris".
Last edited by AlanM on Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

AlanM wrote:
Jake wrote:

Anybody that sexually harasses anyone that they know is armed deserves whatever they get.
If for nothing else but the shear stupidity.
I am so glad you recognized the humor here...:roll:
Chris

charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

A friend of mine inquired as to my opinion about female only classes and made me think a bit. So let me clarify my position.

First, I know that in my class, any shooter (female or male) is going to get the attention that they need and will walk out of the class with a higher level of confidence. I firmly believe that a mixed class is very effective in this. I work very hard to make sure that no one feels left out or overwhelmed. I focus on using terminology that everyone can understand and be motivated by.

Having said that, my friend pointed out that what I may be missing is those female shooters who will not even consider coming to my class simply because it is a mixed class. That's a good point...and no matter how good I am in the classroom, I can't do anything about those shooters who made the decision to not come. It would be different if I could talk to a concerned student...but many will never even inquire unless the class catches their interest. For some, a female only class is the only class that will raise that interest. If my goal is to get more people trained so that they are confident in protecting themselves and exercising their rights, then I should consider doing such a class. Ideas are flowing right now...
Chris

willbird
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by willbird »

And I suppose Chris, the same could be said for a MALE only class :-).

I think it is a good idea for ladies to become instructors, and run female only classes....not that it is bad for male instructors to run female only classes, but the so called "barriers" could involve the Instructor as well.

One thing the ladies are missing out on by going to a female only class, is having to settle for not being the most accurate shooters there....in my experience as an Instructor the ladies almost always outperform the men. Especially if they have little or no previous experience with handguns. I honestly think they try far harder for PERFECT sight alignment...they want to be prefect all 10 shots in one bullet caliber hole every time..............where us guys settle for a group...and work on getting smaller and smaller groups.

I know of one young lady who is a dedicated subgun shooter...she set the goal of putting all 30 rounds in a magazine in the black of a 25 yard slowfire pistol target firing full auto, and by golly she DID it....and that is something a lot of the people she shoots against will never accomplish.

Bill
Have a great day today unless you have made other plans :-).