Women's health

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Strider

Women's health

Post by Strider »

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, the following is taken from a recent lay-person's experience only. This is not medical advice or evidence.

If you are a woman or know a woman in her 50's and older be advised....you can have a heart attack and not even know it.

Just found out that my mother has, apparently had a heart attack and was unaware of it - they're doing tests to determine what has happened to her. She thought, "oh my migraine meds are making me nauseated". Nope, the doctors suspect that she's actually had a heart attack! That's like being pregnant and not knowing it! I thought you women were supposed to "know your bodies" so well?? Huh!

Therefore ladies, be aware for yourselves and those around you; the popular warning signs of a heart attack (tightness in the chest, shooting pain down left arm, etc) may not always apply. You could, in later years, wake up one morning with that nausea, pass it off as poor eating or sleeping but in fact, it may be more serious. So do take care.

By take care, I mean, proper rest, exercise and eat healthy and visit your doctor regularly.

That is all.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend" J.R.R. Tolkien
Ranko

Re: Women's health

Post by Ranko »

How do you have a heart attack and not know it? I can see missing the minor symptoms, but the biggest symptom of a heart attack is kinda hard to miss. :?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Not all myocardial infarctions are the same, Ranko, in either symptomology or severity. (Yikes I better get outta this thread, spelling medical words takes too much effort since I'm not a paramedic anymore!)
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
High Power

Post by High Power »

At the risk of going off topic I wanted to post the link to the article: Was the photoshopped Ralph Lauren model fired for being overweight?
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/w ... ht-525248/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The article is very clear about why this model was fired. In Ralph Lauren's corporate eyes she was too fat. At 5'10" and 120 pounds Miss "Thunder Thighs" was too much for them. I hope she finds more lucrative modeling work elsewhere. If I had the money I'd hire her. I could always use a model like her.

What the article didn't say was that this is done all the time by other publications. It's standard industry practice. Everyone regardless of how attractive they are will always need work on a photograph. This practice is also a shame because it sets unattainable standards for women; particularly young girls. It's no wonder some of them are anorexic and have low self-esteem. A little touch up work is needed on every photo. Shaving off about 60 pounds, on the other hand, is going overbaord.

It would be nice to see this practice exposed more often so we can see the real beauty in women and not like the one in the first photograph in the article. I hope women, young and old, take this to heart and realize they are one of God's precious creations and not a replication of pipe cleaner figures.

Oh, and another thing. I'm getting tired of seeing photos with men that have "six packs" and "washboard abs." Biceps, triceps, schmiceps; who needs all those muscles? What's wrong with a guy who needs to wear a larger than normal gun belt?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein