Pregnancy and Shooting

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

First off, check out this thread from a different forum... it hashes out some of the same issues with some links to relevant info.

Secondly, whoever said that you can't hear anything under water/that water doesn't conduct sound well and is an insulator is wrong. Sound is an excellent conductor. You may have heard of scientists being able to record whale songs from miles away. This is an example of the sound conductivity of water.

Interestingly enough, the speed of sound in water is approximately 1500 m/s while the speed of sound in air is approximately 340 m/s. (1, 2)

Also, sound doesn't merely affect the ears, but "In the water, the audience picks up the sound only by the effect of bone conduction. Basic principles: In immersion, the ear drum (tympani) is too close to the density of the water to stop any sound wave (the ear drum is made of 90% water). Only the bones are hard enough to stop the fast sound waves (1450m/s, four times the speed of sound in the air). So, the bones from the neck and skull resonate and carry the vibrations simultaneously to both of the inner ears, the nerves' endings located in the skull" (3). Too high levels of noise would actually affect the nerves directly.

There have been several studies on the effects of noise on the unborn child. (4, for one.) And in fact, many workplace regulations in various countries forbid pregnant women to work in high noise areas.

Thirdly- lead is a concern. I would definitely avoid any sort of internal range, as there are generally higher levels of airborne lead.

As some others have said, WHY TAKE A CHANCE? If you do and find you are wrong, you'll hate yourself for it later.
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Petrofergov wrote:Any amount of lead exposure by a pregnant woman should be avoided. I would specifically discourage you from practicing at the powder room. The ventilation is nonexistent.
Not exactly, but I get your point.

I had the pleasure of shooting at the Powder Room during my trip to Columbus the other day. I quite liked it. Ventilation could've been better and I think a rack system under the counters would've been slightly more accomodating. But I liked the number of lanes, the automated target carrier. Could've used some reference lines for actual distances, but meh.

They were quite lax. Which I realize paves the way for potential disaster. Still, I was from out of town, looking half ex-con to begin with. My C-bus buddy could pass for 16 if he tried. Yet we weren't carded to shoot. They have a cased policy that we were made to read. I let him know I didn't have a case and that my guns were on me. He said it was fine so long as once in the booth, they were on the bench, pointed downrange. Didn't have to pay until all was said and done, etc. Just really enjoyed it. Not quite as cost-effective as the Sportsman's Club, but I liked it better than Cleland's.

@Leira: Thanks for the education. I learned things from it.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

LeiraHoward wrote: So, the bones from the neck and skull resonate and carry the vibrations simultaneously to both of the inner ears, the nerves' endings located in the skull" (3). Too high levels of noise would actually affect the nerves directly.
Precisely. This is why when you hear a sound underwater (as in scuba diving) you can't tell from what direction the sound is coming. Discerning the direction of a sound is accomplished by the brain noting which ear hears the sound first. Underwater sound is received by both ears simultaneously so the brain has no way to perceive which direction.
Zen

Post by Zen »

Leira,
Thanks very much for the link! I read all the posts and it led to more study. I'm glad I didn't post my question there though, they don't seem to be very civil to each other :shock:

As far as the noise studies, there is a big difference between impulse and sustained noise levels. Although they do show that noise has an effect.

What still worries me is the cumulative effects of the lead. If you shoot for a few years, and stop when you get pregnant, you still have lots of lead in your system :(

Luckily it appears that the actual shooting doesn't contribute a lot of lead. Cleaning the gun and reloading does more, so make your significant other do that :lol:
Never submit, comply or follow the commands of an attacker...

OFCC & NRA Member
ScottyPotty
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by ScottyPotty »

Im certainly no sound expert, and what you guys are saying about sound traveling in water is better than through air is true.....But it seems like if you went underwater in a pool and someone shot their gun close by, I wonder how much/how may db's you would hear?.........I also wonder if you and your buddy went under water and yelled as loud as you can, its very hard to hear.....but if you strike something (like a rock) against the metal ladder it is very easy to hear across the pool.........I wonder if certain octaves travel better through water?

I could be way off.........I dont know????
dan_sayers

Post by dan_sayers »

Then of course there are layers of flesh and such between that water and the outside world. I just know I wouldn't want to see a pregnant woman around gunfire.
"Moderation in the defense of liberty is no virtue." - Ann Coulter
"Liberalism is part of a religious disorder that demands a belief that life is controllable." - Ann Coulter
By their fruits ye shall know them.
CincinnastyKid
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by CincinnastyKid »

I'm no lady but...

I'd say ask your doctor and not a bunch of gun nuts. ;)

My wife is pregnant right now and her doctor advised her not to shoot inside or outside due to lead and sound. Doesn't mean if you do there will be a health issue, it's just like anything else in the medical field when it comes to advice, it's all about minimizing risks and limiting exposure.

-Kid
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!"
Zen

Post by Zen »

CincinnastyKid wrote:
I'm no lady but...

I'd say ask your doctor and not a bunch of gun nuts
I hope everyone caught the wink. Anyone's health is too important to trust soley to a doctor. A lot of them are completely unaware of some of the studies referenced here.
My wife is pregnant right now and her doctor advised her not to shoot inside or outside due to lead and sound. Doesn't mean if you do there will be a health issue, it's just like anything else in the medical field when it comes to advice, it's all about minimizing risks and limiting exposure
That's what I was looking for: how other women had dealt with this issue.
And, as I mentioned before, she's also decided not to shoot.

Thanks!
Never submit, comply or follow the commands of an attacker...

OFCC & NRA Member
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

Zen wrote: What still worries me is the cumulative effects of the lead. If you shoot for a few years, and stop when you get pregnant, you still have lots of lead in your system :(
Right. Actually, after studying all this, I think that I will refrain from ever shooting at an indoor range (or at least, not very often). I've always shot in the outdoors where the breeze carries most everything away.

And of course, I wash my hands good after cleaning my guns.

For what it is worth, my Dad has been around guns and shooting extensively for most of his life and he just had a heavy metal blood test done and there was no abnormal amount of lead (and he was actually carrying lead in his system from being shot back in '88 ). Then again, his shooting was mostly outdoors. So I figure if he is any example, I ought to be okay. :)
Petrovich
*** Banned ***

Post by Petrovich »

Zen wrote:
What still worries me is the cumulative effects of the lead. If you shoot for a few years, and stop when you get pregnant, you still have lots of lead in your system :(
When a pregnant woman has an elevated blood lead level, that lead can easily be transferred to the fetus, as lead crosses the placenta. In fact, pregnancy itself can cause lead to be released from the bone, where lead is stored—often for decades—after it first enters the blood stream. (The same process can occur with the onset of menopause.) Once the lead is released from the mother's bones, it re-enters the blood stream and can end up in the fetus. In other words, if a woman had been exposed to enough lead as a child for some of the lead to have been stored in her bones, the mere fact of pregnancy can trigger the release of that lead and can cause the fetus to be exposed. In such cases, the baby is born with an elevated blood lead level.
http://www.nsc.org/library/facts/lead.htm
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Re: Pregnancy and Shooting

Post by TunnelRat »

Zen wrote:What we found online was that she would be exposed to lead particles in the air from the muzzle discharge.

From what I've read it appears to be a cumulative thing, from long term exposure. Even if a woman shoots regularly, then quits before becoming pregnant, she may still have high levels of lead in her system, which is a danger to the unborn child.
Airborne lead is a problem for every shooter -- especially those who shoot at indoor ranges. I make it a point to wear a good quality breath mask (not just a cheapy, throwaway, painters mask). I also try to wear a coverall that I can fold up wash separately. In the winter I will try to use the same sweater each time I go shooting.

It is also wise to wash your hands, face, and exposed skin with cool or cold water after shooting and before going about your business. It is also a good idea not to eat, drink, or smoke while shooting.

I used to be a machine gun instructor. I can still remember waking up with the taste of lead in my mouth...
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.