Men's reactions to women with guns

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Ms357

Men's reactions to women with guns

Post by Ms357 »

I have notice quite a variety of reactions in men when they find out I carry and can use a gun. I get even better reactions when they find out the gun is a 357 mag.
Of my friends at work I've spoken with:
1 thought it was a good idea, and was interested in getting his too.
1 was impressed that a woman would do that.
1 jokes with me all the time about. Ducking behind things and pretending to be afraid of me.
Most are just amused by it.
Of the women, 1 is glad to know that someone would be able to provide protection.
The rest go along the girl power line.
Oh and a few of the women are shocked and amused.
Any thoughts or similar situations?
BillC

mens reactions

Post by BillC »

I like to see women with a chl,my wife has hers. :D

Bill
Ms357

Post by Ms357 »

I don't think of it as male or female either. But a lot of people seem to.
tjeffries

Post by tjeffries »

I live in a pretty rural area, I don't know many who don't own guns, male or female. Both of my daughters are gunowners, and the youngest took her CCW training with me.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

In order to be a better "ambassador" for our cause, I've perhaps told a few more people about my status as a licensee than might normally be considered prudent. However, I informed them in a casual yet careful way not to share this info with others whom we don't know, or those that could be easily upset, along with the reasons why. Sort of a balancing act.

I've met a few female handgun toters through the years, they were just glad to be amongst folks who wouldn't "needle" them the way Ms357 describes--sometimes it's not so much humorous as hurtful.

Now, you want to talk about a small group of folks? At the tobacco shops I frequent, have met just two women over the years who:

1) Are concealed carry license holders...

...AND...

2) Smoke cigars or a pipe.

Dang it, both are happily married, however. Can't win 'em all..
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

I'm not sure if she's got a CHL (gotta ask), but a range buddy brings his girlfriend regularly. She's a little bitty blonde who shoots better than the rest of us.

I've been working on my wife to get a CHL - after 30 years of marriage she's used to me having guns around.

(My daughter has no interest in a CHL, but likes to shoot too. She's 20....)

BTW, the CHL class I did back in 2004 was led by a local LEO, his aunt, and another blonde....

(I'm allowed to make blonde jokes - my daughter was one until she decided to muck with it. Red the last time I looked.)

IAC, in 39 years of "carrying" (old rent-a-cop), I've run into dozens of women in various training and LE environments. The worst problem I ever saw was a range session some 30 years ago when a very small (non-blonde) girl was given a stainless S&W Chief's Special that she couldn't handle. Turned out that nobody else could either - bad lubrication.... A slightly larger weapon was equally iffy - too light. We (I was assisting the instructor) finally gave her one of the "boy's" S&W M10HB's (4" .38 revolver) and she did fine.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
DWCol

Post by DWCol »

My first reaction is probably, "Will you marry me?" :lol:
THE BIG HAMMER

Post by THE BIG HAMMER »

Chicks with guns are sooooo HOT!

Just stay you're ugly butt away from my daughters!
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
OFCC MEMBER, NWTF MEMBER,
PHEASANTS FOREVER MEMBER
Jronjakoh

Post by Jronjakoh »

Was at the range last night. Working with the 'Youth Group' committee chairman. Mostley .22 rifles.
Most of the kids are 8,9,and 10 years old.(all boys.) There are four boys 14,15 years old.
The one lil guy had to be about 8 or 9, brought his own brand new Walther .22 cal semi-auto.Talk about a little pro.
Every time he fired that gun the muzzle flash had to be at least 4 inches and the gun recoiled like a .45 cal. But he handled it pretty good.
Well just about when the class was over the adults did a little shooting of their own to finish up the brick of .22's
This lil guy's momma a very petite lil blond took that .22 semi and emptied a 10 round clip into the target at 75 feet and was hitting dang neart bullseye every time. Should have seen the eyes of some of the dads/ WWOOEEEE!!! Had to pick a few jaws up off the floor. :lol:

DAT THARS MAY KINDA WIMIN !!!!
Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation. . James Madison.

What's in Your Wallet?

SEMPER PARATUS
haspelbein

Post by haspelbein »

This thread reminds of a club I belonged to that had a Lady's Night every Thursday. Women could shoot and rent a handgun for free. (And they had a large selection of rental guns.) Ammo prices were competitive.

The result was that more female than male shooters were at the range. Aside from the few couples seeking a discount, many of the few men actually tried to pick up women.
Usually they brought their nicest guns and offered to let the women shoot them. I have no idea about the success rate, but it has to beat trying to pick up women at the bar. :mrgreen:
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"
MeanStreaker
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MeanStreaker »

haspelbein wrote:This thread reminds of a club I belonged to that had a Lady's Night every Thursday. Women could shoot and rent a handgun for free. (And they had a large selection of rental guns.) Ammo prices were competitive.
That's an excellent suggestion for getting more women involved in our sport. It would be nice if more ranges did this.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." --Thomas Paine
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Growing up my mom and dad were "pacifist" so guns were evil. When I met my husband, eveything changed. I now have my CHL and shoot regularly. My grandpa, an ex-cop, was thrilled to find this out. The people at my work, however, do not understand it. I actually love it, and it is in a wierd way, comforting to know that if I am in danger, and something happens, I have some form of protection, as I am only 5'2".

I actually just got a new pistol! My new carry gun is a Kahr MK9 and I love it!

My husband loves the fact that I have my CHL ( he does as well) and it makes him feel better when he has to leave.

So far, I have only run into a few people who are shocked that I carry, most of them family. When I explain to them why, they understand a little bit more, but they all still get that shocked look.

It is amazing though, how different I look at people when I am carrying. I see things that I normally would not have paid attention to, their movements, what they are wearing, ect.
"Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment. "

Andre Maurois
Buckshot

Post by Buckshot »

Ashley wrote:Growing up my mom and dad were "pacifist" so guns were evil. When I met my husband, eveything changed. I now have my CHL and shoot regularly. My grandpa, an ex-cop, was thrilled to find this out. The people at my work, however, do not understand it. I actually love it, and it is in a wierd way, comforting to know that if I am in danger, and something happens, I have some form of protection, as I am only 5'2".

I actually just got a new pistol! My new carry gun is a Kahr MK9 and I love it!

My husband loves the fact that I have my CHL ( he does as well) and it makes him feel better when he has to leave.

So far, I have only run into a few people who are shocked that I carry, most of them family. When I explain to them why, they understand a little bit more, but they all still get that shocked look.

It is amazing though, how different I look at people when I am carrying. I see things that I normally would not have paid attention to, their movements, what they are wearing, ect.
Ashley,

How does your classification of strangers work when you are armed?

Do you find some groupings like the following:

"Not likely a threat".
"Possible Threat"
"Don't like his/her/it's looks, watch them"
and
"Really watch this one"

or something similar?

I basically color code them with the colors being subbed for the classes I listed as white, yellor, orange and red.

Just wondering how you classify them in your head since I am sure you arek making these decisions all the time on the street as unknowns pass by.

Thanks,

Buckshot
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Ron:

Just missed you on Wednesday night....

My usual gang didn't show, so I only stayed for about an hour, but I got there about 2045.

A couple months ago we bumped into the kids "qualifying" with .22's, and let a few of them (with the Scoutmaster's permission) shoot some "real" guns. They had a ball....

Then we thought about it. Kids shooting .22's for Scouting sounds "safe". Imagine what happens when some anti's kid turns up with: "Guess what two old coots let us do?".... :!:

Nothing in the newsletter :) so far....

I think I met that little guy with the .22 a couple weeks ago - two older relatives were downstairs warming up for a CHL class and they brought a little boy and a .22 semi along. He shot well. Couldn't get him to try a .45 though. (I suppose he could lift it....)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

Actually, yes I do something just like that. I always have my gun with me, whether on my hip, in my purse, or in my glovebox, so I am constantly analyzing people and what I feel their threat to me is.

I never really did this before I started to carry.

I am also more aware in the car as to who is following me/how long they have been there, ect. My husbands' cousin was followed home from work and one night and was raped while her husband was out of town.

Colors are a good idea, but I probably would forget which color meant which. Normally, if someone looks or acts suspicious to me, I keep my eye on them more than someone who does not. Maybe I will try the colors and see if that works too.

Thanks for the idea!
"Above all things, never be afraid. The enemy who forces you to retreat is himself afraid of you at that very moment. "

Andre Maurois