Men's reactions to women with guns

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

DWCol

Post by DWCol »

Definitely learn the levels of awareness ("color system"). Knowing how to think, identify and respond to possible threats is just as important (if not more) than having a weapon with you for defense.

Edit: link.
LeiraHoward

Post by LeiraHoward »

You don't have to actually call it "code red" or "yellow" or whatever, imho. As long as you know "threat" "maybe threat" "not likely" etc., it doesn't matter what you call them.

I don't carry (various reasons, all discussed elsewhere, which may change after I get a new job...) but I definitely have a high situational awareness, and do a lot of common sense things. I looked at several self-defense books and oddly enough most of the things I did already (other than carry a handgun, that is.)

I think that is the key to staying out of most situations- if you can have common sense and situational awareness and not LOOK like a target, you're much more likely to stay safe.
italian biker

Post by italian biker »

Well, I've always been pro gun and pro self defense, so when I run into a woman that owns/carrys guns, I praise her choice. But I must admit, that it is always a surprise to me, pleasant though. I believe that if more women turn pro-gun/self defense the elitist type/politician anti gunners will start to lose ground.
PETA members know it's safer to harass old ladies wearing fur then to harass bikers wearing leather.
oh_coord

Re: Men's reactions to women with guns

Post by oh_coord »

I like the color coding of the people on the street. I try to stay in analysis mode, whether armed or unarmed, but I hadn't put it to a level before. I think that will help me be even more aware and prepared, to think of it as a red-yellow-green approach.
GOA Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member, Second Amendment Sisters - Ohio Coordinator
http://www.womenshooters.com/archive/ol ... e1108.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
GPER

Post by GPER »

I am thrilled with the wife's reaction to guns, she has grown up around them. We both took the cc class and filled out the paper work for our permits together. That was her Christmas present last year and we have been hitting the range together on a regular basis.

She was thrilled when we went to the gun shop to buy a gun she wanted and had researched this purchase for awhile. She was worried about filling out the paper work and whether they would let her buy a gun. I told her they would since she had no problem getting her permit, but she was nervous anyways :mrgreen:

I did make her promise not to shoot me before we took the class and I don't have a problem with her carrying a gun. She does make sure I have my gun if she doesn't have hers.
58duck

Re:

Post by 58duck »

DWCol wrote:My first reaction is probably, "Will you marry me?" :lol:
been there . . . done that . . . she did . . . we are very happily married and shoot together as much as we can !
NRA Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
58duck

Re:

Post by 58duck »

THE BIG HAMMER wrote:Chicks with guns are sooooo HOT!

Just stay you're ugly butt away from my daughters!
Last edited by 58duck on Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I recently was visiting some customers a business in North East Ohio on the lake. We got to talking one day earlier this year about it (Carrying,CHL,Selfdefense) and I showed them I was indeed carrying. The lady whom owned said business then inquired about how to go about get CHL. Well I was there a few days ago and 6 months later asked if she had got her licence while she was working on a client (a salon) she said "yes" pulled up her apron and wow what a Glock a big one.. Then another lady in there was also armed now with a little Snubby of the S&W Variety. It warms my heart to know if anyone tries to mess with one of my favorite businesses they will be met with 2 out of 5 lady employee's being well prepared for racscaliy urban terrorist. Sure they look like innocent moms and grandma's but beware !

I am guessing its not Toby Hoovers favorite place to get her hair done but I love those ladies. :D
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
kathys

Post by kathys »

wkdravenna wrote:I recently was visiting some customers a business in North East Ohio on the lake. We got to talking one day earlier this year about it (Carrying,CHL,Selfdefense) and I showed them I was indeed carrying. The lady whom owned said business then inquired about how to go about get CHL. Well I was there a few days ago and 6 months later asked if she had got her licence while she was working on a client (a salon) she said "yes" pulled up her apron and wow what a Glock a big one.. Then another lady in there was also armed now with a little Snubby of the S&W Variety. It warms my heart to know if anyone tries to mess with one of my favorite businesses they will be met with 2 out of 5 lady employee's being well prepared for racscaliy urban terrorist. Sure they look like innocent moms and grandma's but beware !

I am guessing its not Toby Hoovers favorite place to get her hair done but I love those ladies. :D
I couldn't quite understand from your post but is this a hair salon in NE ohio? Can you tell us the name of it? I would definitely patronize it if it's not too far away. Thanks
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

I am vague on purpose. I don't get into specifics about people that aren't me as to their status of being armed where they might be ect.. Unless they were also members of the forum and posted actively and they knew I was going to disclose. :D

However, I could probably make some personal recommendations in private though. Although I don't specifically go there in the capacity to get my hair done, I appreciate some peoples attitudes.
My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. - JFK
dl1911
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by dl1911 »

wkdravenna wrote:I am vague on purpose. I don't get into specifics about people that aren't me as to their status of being armed where they might be ect.. Unless they were also members of the forum and posted actively and they knew I was going to disclose. :D

However, I could probably make some personal recommendations in private though. Although I don't specifically go there in the capacity to get my hair done, I appreciate some peoples attitudes.
You could always just invite them to the Meet N Greet. Lots of like minded people who might be interested in patronizing their business if they decide to share it.
Dale
1911 & IDPA Fan(atic), SIG Fan, and fan of less common calibers
wkdravenna

Post by wkdravenna »

Perhaps. .