Getting ready to leave my house...

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

SMMAssociates

Re: Getting ready to leave my house...

Post by SMMAssociates »

Ashley:

Welcome Aboard!

I was going to suggest that you post some pictures of yourself, but this gang of crazies will complain if you don't just post the gun.... :D

For the first few weeks, you'll feel like the gun is wearing you. You'll get over that. (After more than 40 years, I still check to see if I forgot it, or managed to have my jacket pop up, or something like that. The trick is to rehearse it so it looks random....)

As the guys & gals have suggested, try it around the house, or at the local gas station, Wal-Mart, etc., until you get used to it. Plan on buying and tossing into the drawer about five holsters for each one you really decide to wear. It's extremely subjective. What works for me, for example, may not be workable for Jake. (I'm about 6'1", 310#. Jake's about the same height, but nowhere near that "width". I can, and do, conceal a small 1911 easily. He can conceal a small Glock about as well, but as we all know, those aren't real anyway.... :D)

My usual recommendation is to buy a bunch of "Uncle Mike" cheapies that look like they may work for you, and then find a good leather replacement for the one(s) that actually work out. The others may end up in the drawer, or for range use, etc.

Do plan on dressing around the gun a bit - most of us guys don't care for "off-body" carry, but women's clothes often don't allow for concealing much of anything. You can, however, find purses that look nice enough, and allow for a discreet "friend" inside. The magic there is in awareness - you're going to have problems presenting the weapon, if necessary, and you MUST keep the thing secure and handy at all times. (Check out "Smart Carry", too. Think "garter belt, without garters, with holster." Sounds silly, but if you've got the figure to wear one, might be a good solution. Draw is very slow, of course, but you may get the BG's full attention while unzipping.... :mrgreen:) We have a couple members here who use a diaper bag, btw. It probably helps to have small kids, but.... (McM's got one that looks kinda "what's that?", but nobody would notice, and it is a diaper bag, too, although I think his little one's just about ready to give 'em up.)

(Guess it becomes a Lego bag?)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Pdave

Post by Pdave »

abrogan wrote:Well, it went great! Once I went out into public, I realized that nobody was going to know I was carrying and the nervousness went away. Dare I say that I hardly noticed it myself because the holster was very comfortable! I'm definitely going to have to get a good IWB leather holster for my XD. Or I could just "borrow" :wink: my fiance's gun... permanently! (I know he'll read this, lol.)

Anybody know how to change the combination on a safe? :lol:

She was carrying a Colt Defender in a MTAC holster. In my opinion this is one of the best holsters out there. I have some other styles for her to try to and hopefully she will settle on one.

Some have suggested a purse.. I don't like that type of carry for several reasons. The main reason is, I think it is too easy to snatch a purse. Also if you are struggling with someone for whatever reason, it will be "easier" to retrieve it from your person than unzipping a purse and removing it.

This summer is going to be tough for her though. Have you ever seen the pockets on womens pants? :shock: She couldn't even fit a P3at in them things. Of course we all know that now that she is going to "settle down" her style is going to change! :(
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

Pdave wrote:
Some have suggested a purse.. I don't like that type of carry for several reasons. The main reason is, I think it is too easy to snatch a purse. Also if you are struggling with someone for whatever reason, it will be "easier" to retrieve it from your person than unzipping a purse and removing it.

This summer is going to be tough for her though. Have you ever seen the pockets on womens pants? :shock: She couldn't even fit a P3at in them things. Of course we all know that now that she is going to "settle down" her style is going to change! :(
Pdave,

I have been using a purse that has a long shoulder strap that I wear bandolier style. I was rather stuck with that method because maternity clothes don't have big pockets, and the waistband is all elastic. And it is virtually impossible to fit a belt to a rotund, ever changing abdomen. My purse has a separate holster compartment that only holds the gun. It's easy to get to, and at the proper angle to be ready to use.

Sometimes we are stuck with a lesser means of carry than we would like, but if we are properly aware of our surroundings, difficulties can be overcome.

I am experimenting a bit with pocket carry, and have done so twice. (I usually wear skirts that are loose fitting, but have a proper waistband) So far, it is promising. Only drawback is that my 9mm won't fit. I have to use my smaller .380.

I've kicked around the idea of a smart carry for quite a while. Hubby thinks that the 9mm is too big for that, and a training video I watched said not to carry anything cocked and locked that way. That means the Mustang shouldn't be in one. If I go that route, I would need to buy a new gun. :D
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Mustang380gal wrote: I was rather stuck with that method because maternity clothes don't have big pockets, and the waistband is all elastic. And it is virtually impossible to fit a belt to a rotund, ever changing abdomen.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Linda:

(Did I say congratulations on the new little one? My range buddy's little girl - she's only 30 - presented him with his first grandchild about 1000 this - Wednesday, 12/31 - morning. The good news is that she'll marry the guy RSN. The bad news is that Joe now has to remember which end to diaper.... This could get interesting....)

The downside of the bandoleer carry is that it MAY advertise that there's something in there, and there are thieves who wouldn't hesitate to cut the strap (and you?) to grab it, as well as the usual "where do I put this thing?" issues. Still, a fairly good solution. Paranoid-R-Us....

I forget where, but I think it was Packing.org a couple years ago, there was a gal (she seemed to be young, but never posted any pictures :)) who wanted suggestions for carry while wearing "South Florida Casual". Kinda dental floss bikini with a skirt. I wish I'd saved that - it was hilarious. Even a P3AT can be too big.... I think "Smart Carry" was about the only viable solution, but that can still require a very small gun, or longer skirt or more substantial shorts.... Doesn't matter too much hereabouts in the winter, of course, but it's something to think about.

Bra holsters also may be viable, but then you run into a situation like a little girl I knew in High School. The little "flower" decoration between the cups stuck out, under a sweater or other tight garment, further than the cups.... Cute little kid, though, and a very long, sad story.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Income tax baby. :D

Thanks for the reminder. Today's my brother's birthday.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Alan:

"Income Tax Baby" was my guess, but she doesn't have a lot of income (hairdresser), and while the baby was due "any minute now", they seem to usually wait a while longer before inducing labor....

'Course, what do I know....

Happy Birthday to your brother! Mom & dad would have been married about 65 years tonight, if he was still around.

Regards,
Stu.

יזכר לא עד פעם
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

He's my youngest brother, he's 74 today.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.